Official NT Cologne Thread: Current Splits *check most current page* HTTP is an online exclusive by

Bleu de Chanel might be the most generic fragrance of all-time. I copped a boat load of designer samples and ended up giving all of them away except for Versace Eros smh.

I started heavy in the designer game as well as I feel most of us do. Built my starting collection with mostly Chanel, YSL, Dior and Gucci/Prada (most of the high end designer brands). Nowadays, I'm not even joking when I say I can't really stomach some of them anymore. The combination of how generic they smell plus like some being almost sickly sweet. Chanel and Dior are still my top in terms of designer though.

I didn't think I'd ever say I was sick of Bleu de Chanel or La Nuit de L'homme but I can't really wear both of those anymore. When you go niche and get fully used to the level and quality of blends in them, it's hard to look back. I just use Aventus now as the fragrance to check the boxes for my "extremely fresh" smelling scent. Tuscan leather or TV for the days I want those heavier/dense smelling fragrances.

I'm a collector who buys a lot of decants, but also a lot of full bottles too if the price is right and I know the frag well. Need to slow down though now because this is definitely an expensive *** hobby.

I'm not rolling. I may not even finish my Eros sample. It's just the only designer out of a truck load that smelled remotely decent to me. Dior Homme Intense is the only designer bottle in my collection right now.

Is it wrong that after all of the years of maturation and differing tastes in fragrances that I have acquired as I have gotten older, I still keep Clinique Happy for Men in the rotation?

Dior Sauvage along with Bleu de Chanel have to be like the two most generic frags ever. Citrus/Aquatics on the same level as Aqua di Gio.  It's funny that a buddy of mine who also is a big time frag connoisseur was telling me that I NEED to pick up a bottle of Sauvage because it's so generic but in that way that the masses of ladies love. I try not to take frags "too seriously" because I don't ever intend to be a frag snob but I think I'm done buying designer.

I was niche or nothing for a while, but designer frags in general have stepped their game up imo.
I know they get tons of hate here, but I own both Eros, and Sauvage. They are decent good smelling and inoffensive with longevity that match their price point.

I work in jail. There's no way I'm wearing a $400+ frag at work. Those are reserved for when I'm out with friends and family, or even lounging at the crib.

This is just me, but I use 3 less expensive frags for everyday depending on season: LHomme, Pure Malt and Nautica Blue :nerd: ... Had to grab 50ml of VIW off Basenotes because I love it in the summer

I was niche or nothing for a while, but designer frags in general have stepped their game up imo.
I know they get tons of hate here, but I own both Eros, and Sauvage. They are decent good smelling and inoffensive with longevity that match their price point.

I work in jail. There's no way I'm wearing a $400+ frag at work. Those are reserved for when I'm out with friends and family, or even lounging at the crib.
Designer stepped way, way up. My guess, is that they pay real close attention to the frag community and trends these days, finally.

I'm back on my niche snob. There was a reason why I stayed away from the fragrance counters at department stores. The overwhelming majority of it is a synthetic mess.

I'm sure this has been discussed in here but do any of you guys own a wine cooler or some type of cooling storage system to store your frags? My bottle count is getting up to the mid 30s, and I have about 15 give or take that are expensive niche. Technically all are expensive because I don't really have much "cheapies". Mostly higher end designers that still average like 60-100$ a bottle.

I think it's time for me to invest in something like a wine cooler even though that's something I don't really want to drop the money on. I live in Toronto but my house doesn't have air conditioning. There is quite extreme heat but for about 3-4 months out of the year. The rest of the year, it's either mild, cold or extremely cold. I'm not concerned about my bottles in any temperatures other than the extreme heat when my bedroom that I store them on a shelf can get up to 86 degrees fahrenheit.

We invest so much in this hobby that it's obvious that the last thing we want is to spray on a frag in a years to few years time to smell that the top notes have been burnt off or even worse, the frag has developed a rancid or nail varnish type of smell. I'm asking if any others in here store them in this way because I would appreciate some advice in terms of general storage but also if you can recommend a specific wine cooler or storage unit that I could go out and buy. It amazes me that there are still people out there who will throw an expensive fragrance in their car and leave it there even when the temperatures reach over like 100 degrees. It's also super common for some to store all their frags in their bathrooms which is like a death sentence for them due to the crazy fluctuations in temperature and humidity.

I think a dark cool cabinet is ideal but only if your house has air conditioning in the summer and the temperature remains consistent. If you don't have central air like I do, it becomes far riskier. My basement is significantly cooler than my bedroom so I guess I can always box up my expensive ones and bring them down there but I also like to display my bottles in my room almost like ornaments...
laugh.gif

I'm sure this has been discussed in here but do any of you guys own a wine cooler or some type of cooling storage system to store your frags? My bottle count is getting up to the mid 30s, and I have about 15 give or take that are expensive niche. Technically all are expensive because I don't really have much "cheapies". Mostly higher end designers that still average like 60-100$ a bottle.

I think it's time for me to invest in something like a wine cooler even though that's something I don't really want to drop the money on. I live in Toronto but my house doesn't have air conditioning. There is quite extreme heat but for about 3-4 months out of the year. The rest of the year, it's either mild, cold or extremely cold. I'm not concerned about my bottles in any temperatures other than the extreme heat when my bedroom that I store them on a shelf can get up to 86 degrees fahrenheit.

We invest so much in this hobby that it's obvious that the last thing we want is to spray on a frag in a years to few years time to smell that the top notes have been burnt off or even worse, the frag has developed a rancid or nail varnish type of smell. I'm asking if any others in here store them in this way because I would appreciate some advice in terms of general storage but also if you can recommend a specific wine cooler or storage unit that I could go out and buy. It amazes me that there are still people out there who will throw an expensive fragrance in their car and leave it there even when the temperatures reach over like 100 degrees. It's also super common for some to store all their frags in their bathrooms which is like a death sentence for them due to the crazy fluctuations in temperature and humidity.

I think a dark cool cabinet is ideal but only if your house has air conditioning in the summer and the temperature remains consistent. If you don't have central air like I do, it becomes far riskier. My basement is significantly cooler than my bedroom so I guess I can always box up my expensive ones and bring them down there but I also like to display my bottles in my room almost like ornaments...
laugh.gif

I think it's time for me to invest in something like a wine cooler even though that's something I don't really want to drop the money on.I live in Toronto but my house doesn't have air conditioning. There is quite extreme heat but for about 3-4 months out of the year. The rest of the year, it's either mild, cold or extremely cold. I'm not concerned about my bottles in any temperatures other than the extreme heat when my bedroom that I store them on a shelf can get up to 86 degrees fahrenheit.
WTF please explain, are all houses like that up north?

Back
Top Bottom