Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

my son had a play date at a friend’s house today. the kid’s parents are both physicians. huge house with a pool and waterfall. both sticklers for covid protocol. all that money and they couldn’t put the AC on and i was sweating in my mask the whole time. there was a girl classmate there too and apparently she said my son is her boyfriend and the mom was acting kinda salty about it. my wife handled it nicely but i couldn’t wait to get out of there and into the car with AC full blast. both the other kids are super nice though and my kid had a blast 🤷🏽‍♂️
Big house = central AC. They didn't want to run up the electric bill :lol:

Anyone got some newborn advice?

She sleeps great during the day, but come nighttime and she won’t stay sleeping for more than an hour max, pick her up and let her lay on me and she knocks right back out…. And then as soon as I try to lay her in the crib again it’s back to crying.

Right now, my significant other and I are taking shifts as far as staying up with her…thought I had her calmed down in her crib where I could catch an hour and a half nap or so, and then as soon as I lay down she starts crying again.

I know after 3 months they sleep a little better, is this just my life for the next 3 months? Lol

i don’t really have advice on how to get your daughter to sleep better because both of my kids were terrible for 9+ months each. especially in the early days, it feels like it’ll never end and it can wear on you. fast forward to today and both of my kids love to sleep in. last weekend i finally had to wake them up at almost 10am. it’ll get better man. i promise.

She sleeps great during the day, but come nighttime and she won’t stay sleeping for more than an hour max, pick her up and let her lay on me and she knocks right back out…. And then as soon as I try to lay her in the crib again it’s back to crying.

Right now, my significant other and I are taking shifts as far as staying up with her…thought I had her calmed down in her crib where I could catch an hour and a half nap or so, and then as soon as I lay down she starts crying again.

I know after 3 months they sleep a little better, is this just my life for the next 3 months? Lol

Just hang in there. It does get better. One day they won’t need you to fall asleep and you’ll miss those cuddles. Side note: have you tried one of those floor swings that can slowly rock them to sleep? Maybe try that?

I didn’t do much but relied on my wife.

Sleep training was a Godsend. 2 month old sleeps through the night about 10-7

2 yr old sleeps about 7:30-7 and of course it’s flexible just about reading sleeping cues

used takingcarababies on IG but you gotta be consistent with it. No crying it out etc but it set a great foundation for the girls

Is she only crying or also grunting? She might have gas or bowel issues. My son went through a similar phase (8 weeks old) of hating the bassinet and it turns out he was having bowel issues. Once we fixed that, he went back to sleeping 3-4 hours at a time.

So nt help me here
My son got into an altercation today at school. (6th grade)
Some kid was bullying him and my son didnt really defend himself like i would want him to. Growing up with an older brother and older cousins i was used to throwing hands so when kids wpuld try and bully me it was smash on site. Seeing how my son is an only child and the oldest out of his cousins he doesnt really get it. I understand the fear of fighting but you kind of forget about all that once you get hit in the face, should i go buy boxing gloves and strap up w the lil buddy so he can “get used” to act of fighting? I dont know what to do.

So nt help me here
Some kid was bullying him and my son didnt really defend himself like i would want him to. Growing up with an older brother and older cousins i was used to throwing hands so when kids wpuld try and bully me it was smash on site. Seeing how my son is an only child and the oldest out of his cousins he doesnt really get it. I understand the fear of fighting but you kind of forget about all that once you get hit in the face, should i go buy boxing gloves and strap up w the lil buddy so he can “get used” to act of fighting? I dont know what to do.
What kind of bullying are we talking? Walking away from an altercation is often the best option, IMHO.

I would be so disappointed if I heard my son was getting bullied, growing up in Oakland my whole life I've been fighting since the 2nd grade.

Well you can't expect him to fight if you or anyone else has ever really taught him. I would maybe put him in some self defense classes just to boost his confidence and show him a few street fighting techniques that might get him out of a bind if against all odds but you probably shouldn't listen to me.

I was always called the bad kid.

What kind of bullying are we talking? Walking away from an altercation is often the best option, IMHO.
Hes a chubby kid so you know fat jokes and stuff. But this time it escalated and another kid put hands on him, and he actually did walk away.
But in my own expierance handing out a good *** whoopin usually ends a bullys career.

Well you can't expect him to fight if you or anyone else has ever really taught him. I would maybe put him in some self defense classes just to boost his confidence and show him a few street fighting techniques that might get him out of a bind if against all odds but you probably shouldn't listen to me.

I was always called the bad kid.
I wasnt a bad kid but ive had my fare share of scraps. I just want him to know a bully is only a bully until they get a good *** whoopin.

Hes a chubby kid so you know fat jokes and stuff. But this time it escalated and another kid put hands on him, and he actually did walk away.
But in my own expierance handing out a good *** whoopin usually ends a bullys career.
Ok, I understand where you’re coming from then. Last week a kid was pulling on my 10 y/o son’s mask lanyard when they were lined up and he just ignored the kid. I could tell it wasn’t just some friendly playing around because he had a red mark on his neck hours later. I told him he at least needed to step to the kid and tell him to stop or tell a teacher if the kid kept doing it. I won’t encourage my son to fight, but I do want him to stand up for himself so he doesn’t end up being that kid who always gets picked on because kids know he won’t do anything.

So nt help me here

Several suggestions: continue to explain the importance of defending himself from a self respect standpoint - verbally and physically.

Enroll him either in some form of sport (football, baseball, basketball, etc) to help.

Or, martial arts (karate, taekwondo, etc) or enroll him into boxing.

These more so for confidence purposes.

So nt help me here
I was similar to your son, only boy, chubby dude and all my cousins were way older or younger. Luckily I played sports so I understood the give and take from bullying but I did eventually have to step to a dude in MS because he didn’t get the hint. After that everything stopped, like you stated in other posts sometimes that bully needs an *** whopping and he’ll get the hint.

Man what an evening :smh:
My girl is in 6th grade, we got her in a charter school for a variety of reasons including academics, safety, convenience, ratings, and just piss poor public school alternatives. Unfortunately she’s a shy girl, and hates that she doesn’t go to school with her close friends.

She is a good volleyball player and we all were looking forward to her making friends and feeling a part of something thru the team. It’s a small school/weak sports, and she is good, so not making the team honestly never crossed my mind. Well she tried out today and didn’t make the team. I couldn’t believe it and she was absolutely crushed, as was my wife. My wife watched most of it and took her home- when we talked on the way home they were both bawling smh. So after hours of dealing with all these emotions I email the coach, explaining why this was so important to her, all the hours we’ve spent together practicing, even showed her volleyball medals from her club teams. In my email I asked if he can reconsider and let her at least practice with the team. I know as a 6th grader coaches often skip them in favor for 7th/8th graders. He replied back saying he appreciated my email and her dedication and said “she can attend practice and be a part of the team”.

Ill tell her when she wakes up, I honestly feel weird about this. Not sure how to feel. And I don’t know if she’s actually on the team or just will be a practice player- which is fine too.

Getting some more shots for my daughters sweet 16. Party coming up this weekend.

ED7874CA-A464-4C35-8E2F-3690D1718C82.jpeg
2077A6E4-EB1B-48B9-B17E-A345978FFDBC.jpeg
54BFCB33-D2E1-45F7-8DAE-0D06F8AE83A0.jpeg

youngest is going through it. he’s lil big brother. hot head. can see my pops and gpa temper. always tryna prove something. good respectful boy to elders though… youngest of the family always got something to prove.
lots of anger coaching. side by side talks about critical thinking/conflict resolution and all dat jazz …
shout out to the dads trying. kiss them on their forehead and show them their loved. it’s hard out here

7 weeks old today, and I’m glad to report, she sleeps great now! Everyday she seems to become more and more aware of things around her and seems to be discovering her hands… lol

Fatherhood truly is the greatest thing ever.

What are some products are working for you and what do you recommend? I got until May to get ready.

Do y’all think marriage or parenting is harder?

My kids are 11 and 7. Marriage is way harder. I’d have said parenting when they were babies 😂

Back
Top Bottom