:::[Official] Oakland Raiders 2010 Offseason Thread::: Report: Justin Fargas Cut!!!!!

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Asomugha: It was a joke[/h2]
Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha said he was joking about playingfor the Jets. But if he wondered what it would be like to deal withEast Coast media, consider that door officially slammed shut.

Asomugha told The Chronicle today "the story is totally overblown"about him saying he wants to play for the Jets with Darrelle Revis.

Asomugha said this was a two-way joke that took on a life of its own in an ESPN story of it.
http://
"Theonly thing we were 'dead serious' about was the fact that it would befun to one day play on the same team," Asomugha said by email. "That'sall. We were two guys enjoying the Pro Bowl and completely clowningaround during the week. We were playfully recruiting each other; I wastalking about getting him to Oakland and vice versa."

Asomugha said he has no intentions of leaving Oakland. Fact is, hecouldn't anyways. He signed a record-setting three-year contract lastyear.

"I'm a proud Oakland Raider so you can erase any thoughts of mewanting to go somewhere else. If we can add some players from the ProBowl to the Raiders, then that would be great. In the meantime, let'snot make something out of nothing."

Exactly. To be around Asomugha long enough is to know he jokesaround, usually with a dead-straight face. That's what makes it funny.There isn't an athlete in the Raiders locker room more careful andthoughtful with his Cal-education words.

So there.

** Speaking of Asomugha, it looks like he is due for a raise in 2011.

The third year of his deal is scheduled to pay him $16.8 million --or the average salary of the top-five quarterbacks that year, whicheveris higher.

The Colts said they plan to redo the contract of quarterback PeytonManning this offseason, one year before it expires, with talk he'llcommand some $20 million per season.

Up goes the five-year average, and up goes Nnamdi's 2011 salary if the Raiders exercise the team option.

As it stood, his $14 million annual average topped Manning as the league high when he signed.

** One more contract item: I'm told the Raiders have been inlong-term contract conversations with the agent for kicker SebastianJanikowski, an unrestricted free agent.

Janikowski isn't going anywhere, to be sure. If he doesn't take ahigh-end contract, the Raiders will surely franchise tag him. He morethan proved his worth this past season, arguably the best of his careerand Pro Bowl worthy to say the least.

According to the Newark Star-Ledger,a kicker will get $2.814 million with a franchise tag or $2.629 millionwith the transition tag. An exclusive franchise tag, such as Asomughagot in 2008, bumps the price some.

An uncapped year gives teams two transition tags on top of thenormal one franchise tag. So, the Raiders can keep unrestricted freeagents Richard Seymour and Janikowski with tags if they can't agree toa long-term deal.

Seabass...richest kicker in all football soon.

Originally Posted by BeatJunkie5

Joey Porter to the Raiders this offseason
pimp.gif
the way Al likes to overpay, i can see it happening

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Originally Posted by BeatJunkie5

Joey Porter to the Raiders this offseason
pimp.gif
the way Al likes to overpay, i can see it happening
and with the way that top free agents come to oaktown and flop I could see him being a huge bust.
grin.gif
tired.gif

Porter would be great to have. He could also mentor Howard and Kirk and help them develop.

Originally Posted by zube42

Porter would be great to have. He could also mentor Howard and Kirk and help them develop.
True..right now they play like a safety would 
laugh.gif

The only thing that concerns me about Joey Porter is if he would be a good fit in Oakland. The Raiders rarely blitz, which is what his specialty is and I wouldn't really feel comfortable with him out there on passing downs. I wouldn't mind if we did sign him though, because we are in need of lb's and he can be a good leader and has won before, I'm just not sure he can come in and automatically improve our defense.

Instead of the Cable watch in the title you should have it as watching Cable. I think that's more funny.

Of course Cable is the guy. What I don't get is, why don't the 49ers/Broncos/Chiefs/Texans/etc have to come out and say Sing/McDaniels/Haley/Kubiak/etc is still the coach? If they are gonna be the coach the following year, the team doesn't hafta announce +%!!.

"I'm a proud Oakland Raider so you can erase any thoughts of me wanting to go somewhere else," Asomugha wrote. "If we can add some players from the Pro Bowl to the Raiders, then that would be great. In the meantime, let's not make something out of nothing."  

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

Of course Cable is the guy. What I don't get is, why don't the 49ers/Broncos/Chiefs/Texans/etc have to come out and say Sing/McDaniels/Haley/Kubiak/etc is still the coach? 
If Al was convinced Cable was "the guy" he would have been named the HC a long time ago. As for the teams/coaches you mentioned 2 are rookies so why wouldn't they be back the percentages are pretty low for NFL coaches that just get one year. If the 49ers and the Broncos dont make the playoffs I could see some thoughs of changes in the FO. Lest be honest no one knows Al Davis' reasoning for any of the resent decisions he has made.

I still can't believe how much our offense could've been turned around if we played Garcia
smh.gif

Originally Posted by zube42

I still can't believe how much our offense could've been turned around if we played Garcia
smh.gif
From what I've read it sounded like Garcia never really wanted part of being here. I don't know, it could be some twists on both sides but I don't know if Garcia would have made this team THAT much better.

I think Gradkowski was great because he was able to create a spark from nothing. No one expected anything from him, and he performed beautifully.

Sebastian just reisgned for 4 years/16 mill, biggest deal for a kicker in NFL history
pimp.gif

No link, I got the info from my ex- her dad is tight with Seabass

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

From what I've read it sounded like Garcia never really wanted part of being here. I don't know, it could be some twists on both sides but I don't know if Garcia would have made this team THAT much better.

I think Gradkowski was great because he was able to create a spark from nothing. No one expected anything from him, and he performed beautifully.
I read that he said that he wanted to play for Oakland having grown up in the Bay Area but Al Davis pretty much told him he'd never have a chance to play as long as Russell was on the team...after that he wanted out. He's still a backup qb though
laugh.gif

s

Seabass gets his deal
smokin.gif
  Good for him.  He's gotten better seemingly every year and was crucial in most of our wins this year.

Is an Oakland fire sale under way?

February, 23, 2010 Feb 236:45PM ET By Bill Williamson

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the Raiders are talking to teams about unloading some of their players.

That includes superstar cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. As Schafer points out, while dealing Asomugha is extremely unlikely because of his contract, it is interesting that Oakland is willing to trade him.

It means the Raiders, who set an NFL record by losing at least 11 games in the past seven seasons, realize they have to start over.

Asomugha has been in Oakland for the past seven seasons and it is not his fault that they are 29-83 during that time. If the Raiders can get a package of draft picks for him, perhaps it would be wise to do. At the very least, it is good to know Oakland is considering other ways to improve the team.

Other names that could attract interest may include running back Michael Bush and tight end Zach Miller. I don’t think Oakland would want to trade Miller but if Bush is available, there likely will be interest.

If every player is truly available it illustrates what a bad trade Oakland made when they gave New England a first round pick in 2011 for Richard Seymour last September. He is a free agent and he will likely be given the franchise tag by Thursday. That would give Seymour more than $12 million in salary for 2010. Oakland has no choice, but to give Seymour, 30, big money. It can’t get anything out of that first-round pick. Still, it strays from what it appears Oakland is trying to do –- shed salary and start over.

It seems like we're in for another interesting offseason in Raider Nation.

Well... if we can turn Nnamdi into some high draft picks and turn JaMarcus into a shipment of jock-straps, why not?

Back
Top Bottom