***Official Political Discussion Thread***

If you know your brother and you suspect that they may be innocent of a crime, you're telling me you wouldn't provide them with advice?
I already addressed this. There is a post on the top this page with my views.

I don't have an issue that he tried to give his brother advice. My issue is that he used his show as PR machine for his brother, then when things turned sour for his brother he acted like he could not do his job properly on principle.

Don't tell me you can't cover your brother's sexual harassment scandal, and hardly say a peep about his multiple other scandals, because he is family. Yet you constantly had him on your show to yuck it up when things were wavy.

My issue with him is being a full of ****

Last edited:
I already addressed this. There is a post on the top this page with my views.

I don't have an issue that he tried to give his brother advice. My issue is that he used his show as PR machine for his brother, then when things turned sour for his brother he acted like he could do his job properly on principle.

Don't tell me you can't cover your brother's sexual harassment scandal, and hardly say a peep about his multiple other scandals, because he is family. Yet you constantly had him on your show to yuck it up when things were wavy.

My issue with him is being a full of ****
Fair enough. Would be weird as hell to report on your brother being accused as a rapist and giving commentary on it.

RAkVj9B-qCDgMnqKyFpluD5k5mzSdxBU8TRUMy6jPf0.jpg

And if they don't get their way, they are suggesting that will leave them no choice but discriminating against the farmers in the future when it comes to access to loans.

I’d be curious about the implementation. I envision some poor junior risk officer in Excel trying to calculate the infinitesimal chance that the government pays off a loan early.

Coming back to this, if the banks are howling about early repayment, they must not be too concerned about default. This, of course, is not terribly surprising, but it does suggest that the government should just write a check in the amount of debt and let the farmers decide what to do with it. The money may have better returns for the farmers if invested outside of debt service, and it’s certainly less patronizing to the farmers to give them the choice of how they can use the relief.

I’d be curious about the implementation. I envision some poor junior risk officer in Excel trying to calculate the infinitesimal chance that the government pays off a loan early.

Coming back to this, if the banks are howling about early repayment, they must not be too concerned about default. This, of course, is not terribly surprising, but it does suggest that the government should just write a check in the amount of debt and let the farmers decide what to do with it. The money may have better returns for the farmers if invested outside of debt service, and it’s certainly less patronizing to the farmers to give them the choice of how they can use the relief.

Nah, this is a relief program, it should be specific. Pay off the loans

**** these banks and their whinny vile ********

And like Brownstone Brownstone suggested, moving forward, the government should move to cut them out of the transaction altogether

**** em

Your honor, I was charged with bank robbery but I just happened to be there, robbing the bank.

I didn't want to say this, but I think people need to measure the criticisms of Israel a bit better.

I always try to make sure when I am criticizing the actions of the Israeli military I call out Netanyahu specifically. The views of that bigot, and his avid supporters don't represent all of the Israeli people, and surely don't represent all Jewish Americans.

Because just like with Trump going after China causing attacks against Asian Americans to flare up because puts the battery in the back of some bigots, I know that speaking like the political views of the Israeli people are monolithic, it will put Jewish Americans at risk, because antisemites think they have a reason to act out.

I don't give a damn about right-wingers throwing out charges of antisemitism in bad faith, but I do care about innocent people staying safe.

******* like what happened in LA is inexcusable. We will probably see a rise in hate crimes against Jewish people too. :smh:

Those lowlifes like these don't represent the Palestinian people looking for justice and peace. They are just some bigots looking for an excuse to be hateful.

I hope they find all these clowns, hit them with hate crime charges

When it comes to Obama. I understand the constraints he faced where he can’t look like he’s playing racial favorites. Obviously, PoC, black people in particular, deserve special assistance and recompense from the American stare. The dilemma is that white people are the majority so doing the right thing, in terms of racial justice, can be a political liability.

The resolution to this dilemma is to espouse the Heather McGhee framing as that can build majorities while addressing specific, race based injustice. Essentially, class politics is needed to harmonize the politics of racial justice with majoritarianism.

Of course, Obama was operating in a very different country 12 years ago. In 2009, the overall level of both racial consciousness and racial solidarity was lower. It was raised because of BLM, Coates, Ferguson, Trayvon, Oscar Grant, et al. Moreover, the level of transracial solidarity has increased. Tim Wise said, around 2009 or so, that many whites will take a reactionary turn due to there being a black President, a growing non white population and the recession. That was absolutely true but the third part, the recession and loss of economic stability, has pushed a number of whites towards solidarity with nonwhites. Lastly, class consciousness has increased for various reasons. The low wage recovery and the reality of permanent debt, for most, has caused millions of people to realize how hollow and fictitious the American Dream really is, for most.

So, I don’t know what Obama could have done differently in 2009 but the America of 2021 is ready for a President, especially a white and Democratic President, to tell white people that racism is destroying their own communities and their own families and their own future and that their salvation lies in a multiracial, working class coalition. I believe it could work but it requires a villain, it’s a narrative that needs enemies and we know who the enemy is. No politician can simultaneously broker a just peace between rich and poor and black and white. Either white workers and white capitalists will broker a peace on the backs of PoC or white workers and non white workers will win a class war together. Or fascism will win, there’s always that outcome.

It’s all connected

A lot of white people have seen their economic prospects decline dramatically since the 2008 recession (and before that as well but it really accelerated in 08-09). That combined with peer to peer social media and the production and dissemination of very well made and approachable documentaries about systemic racism has allowed a large number of white people to identify more with the black motorist getting killed by a cop and it allows a new generation of whites to identify with Palestinians. Cell phone cameras have also served to highlight the humanity and perspectives of a Palestinian child over the official claims of the IDF, it lets a lot of white people see the perspective and humanity of a black guy, murdered on his way to work, rather than the claims of the LAPD.

Obviously, downward mobility and precarity have also radicalized a lot of whites towards the right and obviously, a just world, in the long run at least, is not built on deprivation. However, I cannot help but think that a generation or two ago, you get white people, especially college educated whites, were more likely to identify with bosses and landlords and by extension support or at least excuse the racialized violent required to uphold private property. When you believe that you’ll always be a renter or an underpaid gig worker, it becomes a lot easier to identify with others who are permanently shutout whether that is in Gaza or Minneapolis.

Back
Top Bottom