***Official Political Discussion Thread***

2. No it isn't
1.a Then it certainly seems like your objection to the specific limit wasn’t made in good faith.
1.b They aren’t. They’re offering a certain amount of guaranteed income to citizens who are not able to work. The aid is for children, not parents.
1.c I have a kid. who has received no benefit from any of these programs. if I did get a benefit, it would likely be somewhat circular from my taxes. Thats all fine.

2..a See 1.b. The credit is meant to be income for children who made the exact same set of choices you did coming into this world, in this country.
2.b So you object to the mortgage deduction? The state income tax deduction? The property tax deduction? These are all far more expensive programs. If you’re truly worried about redistribution, you might start there instead of things that help people that haven’t made a choice.

3. I’d support a sliding scale phased on the child’s income. So any child with taxable income in excess of the annual credit would be ineligible. I think that‘s both reasonable and consistent with the goals of the program.

4.a I assure you, no one in Dallas thinks of themselves as a coastal elite. But fine, let’s use your incredibly non-standard definition
4.b Your point seemed to be that the Manchin-proposed limit was reasonable because outside of “coastal elite cities” 60k was good money. You framed the conversation that way, not me.
4.c But if we’re going to throw in all majot Mets as “coast elites” then your special case is more than half of the population. Seems like a reasonable proportion to govern to.
4.d I’m not sure exactly what the federal government’s job is, but it seems like if it wants to “promote the general Welfare“, then it should have some sense of what a good income looks like,

bonus. It’s funny how libertarians ignore that that promoting the general welfare comes before “secure the Blessings of Liberty”

I picked SAT because it’s one of the most affordable US cities. But lulz, I guess.
Ok

Was about to post this. It's like they make things comically bad on purpose to appeal to their base. In any other world, this would be parody.

I'm no gun nut but something tells me she's not as comfortable with a gun as she lets on.
FCF-_rKVUAMjew-

Conservative white people treat guns like hood dues treat Gucci belts

Acting like if it is visible to the camera, it makes the pic a million times better

this **** is so weird, I don’t get it. Like are they trying to prove how “strong and tough” they are with the whole fam strapped up? Reminds me of the same dudes cosplaying with their wood guns

So I didn’t really want to say anything until I read the rumors of what the changes on the Bills could be for myself.

Am I the only person who caught on how insidious putting a 60k income cap is as a requirement on the child tax credit? America is going through an inflation period, especially in the major cities. That amount is going to price out those families in the major cities sooner than later. In some cases almost from the start.

I'm not saying ppl should sit idly and let it burn but it feels we're headed that way one way or another unfortunately
9zy7x0_th (2).png
If four years of crisis after crisis haven't convinced the 40%-50% of eligible voters who don't vote that democracy needs their consistent input, I don't know what will.

So I didn’t really want to say anything until I read the rumors of what the changes on the Bills could be for myself.

Am I the only person who caught on how insidious putting a 60k income cap is as a requirement on the child tax credit? America is going through an inflation period, especially in the major cities. That amount is going to price out those families in the major cities sooner than later. In some cases almost from the start.

I was just reading this:
A new analysis conducted by the Niskanen Center's Robert Orr and Samuel Hammond indicated 37.4 million children could lose out on federal aid if Democrats adopted Manchin's $60,000 income cap with sizable losses falling on non-working parents who are disabled, students, or grandparents. The estimate includes 189,000 kids in West Virginia, a 58% cut in Manchin's home state.

Manchin's approach would amount to a sharp cut in government assistance for 60% of kids now benefiting from the revamped child tax credit.

Back
Top Bottom