***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Every damn time, someone tries to improve someone quality of life, for someone who isn’t rich, through legislation, there is some entrenched interest group who can buy off enough legislators to stop it.

Tuition free community college, reduced cost child care, a modest stipend to help new parents, unemployment insurance that acts as decent income replacement for low wage workers, reducing police budgets, etc. positive but relative small bore stuff seems impossible to implement or to keep.

This is it. This really is how things will be going for the foreseeable future. The rich have literally more monet then they know what to do with. The poor and working class will just keep getting ground to powder. And the class that could force the issue, middle class home owners, seems entirely focused on jealously guarding their home equity.

This is it, this is stasis until either we see a collapse of the biome, a fascist take over, or a truly bottom up worker-led revolution of some sort.
Sometimes I wonder if our current political economy isn’t running on fumes as it intensifies inequality to such a degree that consent begins to unravel among broader and broader segments of the population and we reach this kind of breaking point.

Part of me thinks this is clearly where we’re headed in the not-so-distant future. Then another part of me feels like me thinking this is the political equivalent of Evangelicals always talking about “we’re living in the last days” every time they see a gay person on TV.

So I guess I don’t know what to think :lol:

While every injustice makes me mad, certain ones really get to me on a visceral level.

Those injustices include: parents being unable to buy their kids the stuff that they need to participate in sports or other activities, incredibly bright young adults not going on to college or grad school due to lack of money/fear of debt (that’s to say nothing of geniuses who can’t even graduate high school due to poverty), and senior citizens not being able to keep their teeth or use their eyes and ears.

Needless to say, these last few days him really underscored not just how dysfunctional but down right mean the system really is.

What’s so terrible about all of this is how preventable it all of this is. On the macro level, not only do the resources exist for every single person on earth to have a decent, dignified, worth-while standard of living, there’s enough resources for those who are already rich to stay rich.

On the micro level, people like Manchin and Sinema would still be very comfortable if they vote for the BBB. While the BBB does a lot of good, there will still be wealthy people and wealthy institutions that will reward you. If Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren can be millionaires with the positions that they take, I think Kyrsten Sinema could do just fine. While voting for the BBB will alienate some wealthy and powerful people, voting for the BBB would ingratiate her to others. She can finish out her senate term and get a bunch of highly paid book deals, a Netflix special, and multiple no show jobs at progressive tech and financial services companies.

When you’re at the level of I-could-retire-today-and-never-have-to-look-at-my-checking-account-ever-again rich, a status that Sinema will have post political career regardless of how she votes, why not do as much good as you can on the way out? We’re not asking her to be a revolutionary or a reformer, just pull the correct lever to divert the trolley.

We're sitting here and joking about these clowns every day, but it looks like they're winning to me.

Sometimes I wonder if our current political economy isn’t running on fumes as it intensifies inequality to such a degree that consent begins to unravel among broader and broader segments of the population and we reach this kind of breaking point.

Part of me thinks this is clearly where we’re headed in the not-so-distant future. Then another part of me feels like me thinking this is the political equivalent of Evangelicals always talking about “we’re living in the last days” every time they see a gay person on TV.

So I guess I don’t know what to think :lol:
You're not crazy to think that way.

All the stuff that's been happening here sounds so far from reality if you're not used to follow the politics of unstable societies. If you are attuned to the political realities of regions like West/Central/Eastern Africa, Eastern Europe, or the Middle East, a lot of what is happening in the States feels familiar and scary.

When people who are unwilling to compromise take hold of the levers of power, the conclusion you're thinking about is usually the end result, especially when the general public is mostly indifferent to the internal politics of their society (as is the case in the US) or unable to exercise political power (pick your favorite dictatorship).

This is why I've been very pessimistic about the future of the US as a single country ever since Trump not only got elected, but beat two impeachments on clearly partisan votes. Part of me wants to believe that things will get better, and I live my life as if things will get better without getting too bad, but I'm also mentally preparing myself to bounce if **** hits the fan like the worsening socioeconomic situation indicate they will.

Back
Top Bottom