***Official Political Discussion Thread***

How did that work for T-Mac?

If you are a politician, I think generally always political malpractice to dismiss the concerns of swing voters as totally fake.

While you're looking at things from a single politician's perspective, I'm looking at the overall system. What you suggest may be politically expedient, but it is harmful to democracy in the long run (just look at where the GOP is today compared to the period of time when their politicians could tell their constituents to keep their crackpot theories about Obama to themselves). Fox News anchors can't even get their audience to trust the COVID vaccines because they've played into the conspiracies their base believes in for almost two years, even though they know it's false.

Furthermore, it is generally a bad idea to ride the fence (chase the swing vote) because of all political actors, the general public is the segment whose opinion is easiest to change. What they want today may not be what they want 24h later, and a politician constantly calibrating their message to fit that can be perceived (or painted) as lacking firm principles/direction.

T-Mac didn't do a good job at convincing swing voters, but you're not gonna convince me that the proper strategy was to indulge in the lies they believe in.

gry60 gry60 gry60 gry60 entire rebuttal is just responding to things he made up and i never said.

teachers are more progressive, so the small minority of teachers who inject their politics into their teaching
in unpopular ways, a higher percentage of them are left wing.
You're gonna need to prove this.
you don't think it's a relative safe bet that in the percentage of them that are goofy, more of the will also be progressive?
Still waiting for that proof.

If there is a subset of teachers that are extreme, there's nothing in the statement "more teachers have become progressive" that suggests that among the population of extreme teachers, the majority may be progressive. It is very possible that the majority of that population leans right. That's why I said:
I can't answer your previous question

You've gone from one unproven assumption to another to draw the conclusion that there are more extreme left teachers than there are extreme right teachers, and you want us to accept the result without questioning the underlying assumptions.

Show your work.

the difficulty you have understanding,
that person can have honest disagreements with progressive movement is consistently hilarious.

yall come in here everyday and repeat "conservatives are bad" in 50 million different ways.
half the thread is mehdi hassan tweets saying "conservatives are bad"
with occasional break to toss in a "Robert Reich" tweet that says "conservatives are very bad"

nobody says;
"why are you so obsessed with conservatives"
"your just mad at some conservative at are work so you're taking it out on us"
"you're just repeating bad faith left wing talking points"

when this T-Mac loss, I saw a bunch of pronouncements that CRT backlash was purely racism.
nobody asked for evidence, nobody said "well you're really making an assumption".

but if I say something slightly contrary to whatever Joy Ried has been tweeting for the past two days.

I need a bibliography and a works cited page and

1Oah.gif

but yes yes im the one who is "preoccupied" :lol:

gry60 gry60 entire rebuttal is just responding to things he made up and i never said.

but nah nah nah, im the one who can't look at things honestly. :lol:

dacomeup dacomeup in the total electoral wreckage of the defund the police slogan and is posting tweets about how maybe it's the best thing for the movement.

but no no, nah I guess im just some dummy radicalized by people at my work blah blah.
I can't see the situation clearly.

okay man yall got it. :rofl:

17F8B5DC-4389-4BDF-80D2-97787EAF20C4.jpeg

"these extreme people exist among the left;" the questionable claim in propaganda is "and they are about to take over (or, have taken over) the left."

what you said I said.

teachers are more progressive, so the small minority of teachers who inject their politics into their teaching in unpopular ways, a higher percentage of them are left wing.

what i said

i said it was a small minority.
safe to say if i think they are a small minority, obviously i don't think they are about to or have taken over the left.

dude just be honest, you mischaracterized what I said, it's fine.
but be real I obviously did not claim that.

If there is a subset of teachers that are extreme, there's nothing in the statement "more teachers have become progressive" that suggests that among the population of extreme teachers, the majority may be progressive. It is very possible that the majority of that population leans right. That's why I said:

sure it's possible, but is it likely? you wanna be obtuse about this because the answer is obvious.
If a group of people are overwhelmingly progressive,
what is the most reasonable normative assumption to be made of a subgroup of those people?
...that they would be similar to the group.

if you want to claim that no, teachers that inject their politics into their teaching
diverge from the group dramatically, you're the one who needs provide evidence of why that would be the case.

im making a totally reasonable assumption based on broad demographic trends.
but you want to act like im saying something wild.

If I said teachers in Mississippi are more conservative that teachers in blue states,

you wouldn't question it, people in missippi are more conservative than in other parts of the country, so it's safe to assume they'd be to the right of a teacher form san Francisco.

obviously it's possible this could be wrong. but it's the most reasonable assumption[/QUOTE]

Almost a year of this and you’re still struggling with defund the police politically versus it with organizers. :lol:

im not struggling with anything, any organizer who thinks this thing was productive
is afflicted with a serious virulent strain of internet brain worms. :lol:

prob the same brain words that would lead a supposed "climate activism" organization to tweet this.

If you want to throw your lot with these goofy people that's fine.
but as you know I think you sound totally crazy.

thankfully most people have slinked away from defund the police
and mostly act like it never happened. :lol:

While you're looking at things from a single politician's perspective, I'm looking at the overall system. What you suggest may be politically expedient, but it is harmful to democracy in the long run (just look at where the GOP is today compared to the period of time when their politicians could tell their constituents to keep their crackpot theories about Obama to themselves). Fox News anchors can't even get their audience to trust the COVID vaccines because they've played into the conspiracies their base believes in for almost two years, even though they know it's false.

Furthermore, it is generally a bad idea to ride the fence (chase the swing vote) because of all political actors, the general public is the segment whose opinion is easiest to change. What they want today may not be what they want 24h later, and a politician constantly calibrating their message to fit that can be perceived (or painted) as lacking firm principles/direction.

T-Mac didn't do a good job at convincing swing voters, but you're not gonna convince me that the proper strategy was to indulge in the lies they believe in.

I would agree with you if I thought Robin Diangelo style divirsity equity inclusion stuff was proven to be a super effective way to help black students.

If there was strong evidence backed but unpopular measures that were having major positive impact on minority students

than sure yes you shouldn't just throw that under the bus.

But like if the evidence is mixed or nonexistent
and all it does is help elect repunlicans?

Its hard for me to think having more Republicans in office helps anyone.

the difficulty you have understanding,
that person can have honest disagreements with progressive movement is consistently hilarious.

yall come in here everyday and repeat "conservatives are bad" in 50 million different ways.
half the thread is mehdi hassan tweets saying "conservatives are bad"
with occasional break to toss in a "Robert Reich" tweet that says "conservatives are very bad"

nobody says;
"why are you so obsessed with conservatives"
"your just mad at some conservative at are work so you're taking it out on us"
"you're just repeating bad faith left wing talking points"

when this T-Mac loss, I saw a bunch of pronouncements that CRT backlash was purely racism.
nobody asked for evidence, nobody said "well you're really making an assumption".

but if I say something slightly contrary to whatever Joy Ried has been tweeting for the past two days.

I need a bibliography and a works cited page and

1Oah.gif

but yes yes im the one who is "preoccupied" :lol:

gry60 gry60 entire rebuttal is just responding to things he made up and i never said.

but nah nah nah, im the one who can't look at things honestly. :lol:

dacomeup dacomeup in the total electoral wreckage of the defund the police slogan and is posting tweets about how maybe it's the best thing for the movement.

but no no, nah I guess im just some dummy radicalized by people at my work blah blah.
I can't see the situation clearly.

okay man yall got it. :rofl:
This post is hilarious as it is pathetic

Seriously

Dude, you took a jab at someone. You accused someone of just forming arguments to defend a side. I flip the same accusation you made into a joke jabbing you, and you can't handle it.

You routinely take issue with at people returning the same energy you put out there. You can put words in people's mouths, engage in hyperbole, present evidence that doesn't directly back up your point, imply people are acting in bad faith, throws jabs. But the second you feel it is being done to you, you got an issue Like dacomeup dacomeup says, I guess this is Osh for the course.

Again, all I did was flip someone you said first back onto you. So spare me all this poutine gravy-covered pearl clutching.

You're just a hit dog hollering at this point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really that's all we do in here. Complain about conservatives and post-Medhi Hassan. You know what, don't answer, because I know the "I was being hyperbolic" reply is on its way. But using me as an example because all this nonsense is in response to a joke I made, that is all I do?

-I just post tweets from progressives?

-All I do is complain about progressives. Hmmm, that is strange so I guess all the posts about Centrist Democrats don't exist?

-All the posts I made over the years that pissed off Bernie supporters regarding the shortcoming of leftist politics don't exist?

-I don't post book recs or articles either?

-Nah, I just come in here and whine about conservatives?

I am probably the most active poster in here, so I should be representative of this circle-jerk you are describing. You really want to assert that is how I behave in here?

More seems like a convenient way to paint things to act like people simply can't handle dissent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude, you brought your job into this thread with a post you made. Now you have an issue that something you posted on a message board if used to make jokes about you :lol:

Give me a damn break. How about you start looking at those jokes as art, that way you will feel it important for us to not self-censor.

For the past year-plus, you have been really preoccupied with a small group of progressives to a degree many see as bordering on unreasonable at times. Not the entire progressive movement, or most of it, like people in here are upset at with the conservative movement, but a subsection of progressive that you dislike. Find cool, but then you make these grand claims about them hurting society, so naturally, people would like evidence of that. And in that area you

A) Think people should just agree with your logic upfront
B) Provide little evidence backing your claim
C) When you do, you resort to stripping the context of events to act like they back your point

And people are unconvinced and think your claims still need more direct proof, that is somehow them burying their head in the sand. That always, people main issue is that they don't see it as you do.

You constantly act that you understand the country, communities, people, and institutions people in here have to interact with better than. When someone does line up with the experiences people have had, they want to know where you are coming from, you wanna act like people are just political junkies like you and you just have the more informed theory

You move in here just like you do in the NBA thread. And funny enough you got the same reputation in that thread as in here. And you throw out the same condescending jab at posters in there as you do in here.

Like wavycrocket wavycrocket said numerous times, this **** is a game to you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have reached the point of accusing people in here of just being something it is not. The usual of claiming in here is a echochamber hostile to a free-thinker like you

All because you couldn't handle a joke

Spare, me.

Last edited:
thankfully most people have slinked away from defund the police
and mostly act like it never happened. :lol:
Most people as in who? This is a clear example of you personally being against something so you’ve created your own narrative on it. Most activists and organizers haven’t. And the politicians had never tied themselves to it largely — the right parroted it more than anything.

im making a totally reasonable assumption based on broad demographic trends.
but you want to act like im saying something wild.
I'm not saying that what you said is unreasonable. What I said was, if you're going to recommend throwing leftist teachers under the bus, you're going to need more than the mere assumption that the majority of crazy teachers trend left.

If I said teachers in Mississippi are more conservative that teachers in blue states,

you wouldn't question it, people in missippi are more conservative than in other parts of the country, so it's safe to assume they'd be to the right of a teacher form san Francisco.
Actually, I would if you were going to use that assumption to support a particular course of action.

And I'm paid to be obtuse. I can't recall the number of times I've made a reasonably sounding assumption, only to take my foot out of my mouth after running the numbers.

Perception =/= reality.

Subcontractor GDC Technics, which was 80 percent owned by the Saudi Arabian government, ultimately didn’t complete interior modifications to the aircraft due to a dispute with Boeing. As a result, the aerospace giant reportedly wants a 12-month delay in the jets’ delivery and $500 million in additional taxpayer funds to cover cost overruns.

The whistleblower also alleges the Saudi government diverted funds earmarked for the Air Force One projects to complete two of its own 787-8 Dreamliner aircraft before it “forfeited and abandoned all interests in GDC” in 2019.

The whistleblower, Ahmed Bashir, a Pakistani-born owner of a now-defunct Wichita, Kan., aircraft-modification company, made the allegations in an Oct. 27 court filing in GDC’s San Antonio bankruptcy case.

Imagine that, a foreign company renovating the interior of what could be considered a mobile Oval Office. Boeing didn't even disclose the foreign ties of the subcontractor.

Back
Top Bottom