***Official Political Discussion Thread***

words i never thought id say.
Good jacobin article.

1636490185760.png

1636490221413.png

The Jacobin study seems insight only to people that don't pay attention to elections or think it says more than it actually does

Warning Democrats not to do things they already don't do

But being like Sherrod Brown seems like great advice. Been saying that for a while

In 2020.
Part of it was because of the mishandling of COVID, and another part was Trump's style. If you actually listen to Republicans many will tell you that they have no issue with his ideas, but the package in which he presented them was unappealing.

And in 2021, they've been winning local and statewide elections in blue states, after spending much of the year spreading misinformation about everything from healthcare to education while looking disciplined and "respectable."
the polling says the opposite

Donald Trump extreme ideas are about immigration,
and from the poling the public became more friendly to immigration not less.

what republicans say is they like his normal republican ideas, low taxes for the rich
republican judges they like, but his extreme policies Muslims bans child separation
ect they don't like

Donald trump is advancing extreme ideas and losing voters,
that is evidence that the Overton window has not shifted right, right wing extremism is unpopular.

Aaaaand we're back at square 1.
Are you saying that people are not susceptible to propaganda? Because there's an entire century worth of history to prove you wrong.

Obviously, you don't come out the gates and say "these people need to be shoved in ovens;" you say, "these people, by virtue of their [insert immutable characteristic like skin color or racial/ethnic background or sexuality] are unfit to be part of our society," and you and your supporters dance around the question of "what to do with those people" until you're in position to do the unthinkable without opposition.

That's the playbook. The form of the message is just as important as the content, and I don't think you're willing to acknowledge that.

this just sounds like a slippery slope fallacy.
human history i don't think is evidence of anything.
right wing extremist exist in every culture across all of human history.
they don't 100% of the time convert the public to their view,

propaganda isn't magic. right wing extremists losing elections and voters
doesn't signal a shift in the Overton window.

Bari Weiss and a few other people preoccupied with cancel culture are starting their own university

Mannn, the finesse never stops with these people

Aw man, I hate that Boghossian is involved in this. Took a class of his in college and it was fantastic. The man offered some incredible insight into ethical issues surrounding technology. Funny how the turn tables.

Guy wasnt pushing the "free speech" limits and involving alt right figureheads into his debates or lectures, but I suppose this was pre-Alt-Right days. Still dont agree he got a fair shake at PSU but the guy is diving right into the Joe Rogan playbook now. Sad :smh:

The only person in modern history to get more votes than Donald Trump in 2020, is Joe Biden in 2020

Trump acting like a loon for 4 years, and more people voted for him over 2016

The only person in modern history to get more votes than Donald Trump in 2020, is Joe Biden in 2020

Trump acting like a loon for 4 years, and more people voted for him over 2016

i mean yes you also unprecedented voter access with the pandemic

donald trump also pretty much de emphasized his immigration messaging in an effort to win latinos.

you could argue his message became less right wing extremist not more over the last 4 years.

so has the overton window really shifted right if felt he needed to chill out on some of his rhetoric to win? id say no.

i mean yes you also unprecedented voter access with the pandemic

donald trump also pretty much de emphasized his immigration messaging in an effort to win latinos.

you could argue his message became less right wing extremist not more over the last 4 years.

so has the overton window really shifted right if felt he needed to chill out on some of his rhetoric to win? id say no.
Is this a joke, or should I take it seriously?

huh?
It doesn't? it worked for Barack Obama

Did it really? That dude is a once in a lifetime politician, unique politician. And even so, the backlash to him…is why we’re in the position we are today.

And the Jacobin types hate him today too :lol:.

What’s going to happen is the Democrats alienate their Black voting base. And it’s happening. Happened with Obama too.

Did it really? That dude is a once in a lifetime politician, unique politician. And even so, the backlash to him…is why we’re in the position we are today.

And the Jacobin types hate him today too :lol:.

What’s going to happen is the Democrats alienate their Black voting base. And it’s happening. Happened with Obama too.

black voters are more working class and more culturally conservative
so i don't understand how modulating the message to appeal to working class voters would alienate the black voting base.

i don't think you need to be a once in a lifetime politician.
I do think being black helps tho. that's why i've always said Kamala should just be a cop instead of a pretend progressive.

I blame Democrats for this. If they paid cops more and fired liberal teachers the GOP woudn't have a reason to gerrymander

you should blame them,
gerrymandering didn't fall out of the sky, down ballot loses and erosion of rural support
let republican take control of the maps when super efficient mathematical gerry manders became possible.

you can focus on crying about mean ol republicans gerrymandering boo hoo,
or you can figure what you need to do to win.

you should blame them,
gerrymandering didn't fall out of the sky, down ballot loses and erosion of rural support
let republican take control of the maps when super efficient mathematical gerry manders became possible.

you can focus on crying about mean ol republicans gerrymandering boo hoo,

or you can figure what you need to do to win.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My good you are full of ****

Back
Top Bottom