***Official Political Discussion Thread***

futurama-serious.gif

The Rittenhouse trial throws this into high relief.

I don't think we taught enough about being a regular white male in the antebellum south. We should, especially to counter the frequent narrative that only a few white people owned slaves, and as such, most southern white people had nothing to do with the institution.

Basically, at 18, you served in the state militia or in the slave patrol in order to earn your manhood.

Yup... I came in here to get a good exec summary of the Kyle Rittenhouse case.... Hit the block button in like two minutes. Who knows when I'll be back. Yall have more patience than me.
Amen. Sorry to hear you had a negative experience of an echo-chamber within 2 minutes. Libs never stop coming out of the woodwork in here to circlejerk leftism and wokeness :smh: Good thing we have aepps20 aepps20 to continue the good work of exposing the libscum and handling appropriately.

"Appropriately" being to gun them down and then claim victimization in self-defense as God intended and the American justice system approved.

I don't think we taught enough about being a regular white male in the antebellum south. We should, especially to counter the frequent narrative that only a few white people owned slaves, and as such, most southern white people had nothing to do with the institution.

Basically, at 18, you served in the state militia or in the slave patrol in order to earn your manhood.

This second post is great all around. It’s very interesting history and it’s a perfect illustration of intersectionality. The militia allowed every white man to define himself against women and black people and the militia also reified sharp class distinctions among the white men of the south.

There were whites in the south who didn’t buy into this system and mainstream US history largely erased them because US history is still infected by the Dunning School. Some poorer whites resisted during the civil war, few directly confronted the confederate war machine nor tried to liberated enslaved people. But those whites would not participate in the confederate military, or home guard, pay taxes, buy bonds or otherwise make the war machine run. A war machine that was, as the second post emphasizes, a heightened version of its peacetime order, an order that was defined by labor camps held together by society-wide policing power.

It’s ironic that the descendants of those white resistors are now called “hill billies” and are cast as the epitome of white bigotry. Obviously, there is white supremacy in the uplands of the South but the most enthusiastic non slave holding whites, who supported the confederate war effort, were shop keepers, overseers, and farmers in the fertile Piedmont, the equivalent to small business owners and affluent suburbanites today.

This situation with Rittenhouse definitely shows that the idea of all whites having the right and duty to police all black people, is still prevalent in our politics and sadly, is in a resurgence in recent years. Just as non slave holding whites found validation in the collective defense of property, that they don’t own, we see someone like Rittenhouse upholding white supremacy by protecting property that he did not own.

Slave patrols and militias upheld white supremacy and protected human property from escaping their bondage. Today, it takes a few steps since private chattel slavery is outlawed. These latter day antebellum militia men have to be more concerned with keeping up the appearance of a defense of the ostensibly race-neutral concepts of rule-of-law and private property rather than open white supremacy but the poorly constructed mask had been slipping before this trial started and after the last day or so of this trial, the mask has completely fallen off.

On whether the South was oligarchical :

In short, people voted often, but voting being public meant that the peer pressure was real when it came time to vote for a candidate.
The thread also dives into martial prowess as a social indicator of masculinity.
Lots of themes here that are contemporary when we discuss the current conservative movement and all its facets.

Kyle Rottenhouse choking up on the stand when he testified, I can't :smh: even. So unconvincing.

Back
Top Bottom