***Official Political Discussion Thread***

wavycrocket wavycrocket

FYJGxGcXEAgko8t

FYJGyPrXEAAYI3_

People hate liberals…but they should REALLY hate white liberals to lending credibility to this POS.

One of the worst and most dangerous people in politics. Just a shameful dude.

The appeal of Biden and Trump is that they could win a large enough majority of the most politically favored (unfairly) voting bloc. Midwestern voters, especially white men.

Like if we are throwing names out there, I think it is wise to at least know why they would be a good candidate.

Newsom seems like he would not be that great.
Gavin is a little too smug for his own good.

Also I don't think middle America, Ds and Rs, are enamored with what's going on in Cali. Highly informed voters know about some of the good legislation that's passed there, but the average person is just gonna think of $6.00 gas, $750K homes, and Hollywood :lol:

90% of the answers to all these questions in these press briefings will never be reported/written, waste of time

The appeal of Biden and Trump is that they could win a large enough majority of the most politically favored (unfairly) voting bloc. Midwestern voters, especially white men.

Like if we are throwing names out there, I think it is wise to at least know why they would be a good candidate.

Newsom seems like he would not be that great.
What's your beef with Newsom? As a CA resident, I think he has done a good job. He seems to listen to his voters and for the most part, he's been making the right moves. But like any other person, he's definitely not perfect.

What's your beef with Newsom? As a CA resident, I think he has done a good job. He seems to listen to his voters and for the most part, he's been making the right moves. But like any other person, he's definitely not perfect.
I don't have a beef with him. I think he has been a good governor

I just don't think he would make a great presidential candidate.

Being the governor of a deep blue state is nothing like running for president.

If you underperform at the polls by 2 points running for the governor of Cali, it means little to nothing. You underperform by 2 points running for president, your Republican opponent probably wins easily.

Last edited:
Why don't you think he'll make a good presidential candidate?
I believe that he is more appealing to the democratic base than Biden.

Nobody in the country really wants anything to do with California except people in California. No offense it’s just the stereotype.

To win the presidency, the Democratic base is not enough. He has to win a ton of independents as well. I don't Newsom does anywhere close to as good with white men as Biden did also.

If Newsom ran in 2020, Biden would have blown him out with ease. Seems to me the main reason people are throwing his name out there is because inflation and Joe Manchin are screwing over Biden so bad, and has made up so unpopular, people think there should be a new candidate in 2024. Newsom as made himself some sort of left wing DeSantis. A powerful high profile governor that seems like the better choice than running the old embattled party leader.

Ok I get that.

But on paper, Newsom just doesn't seem uniquely appealing.

I don't think Newsom can win the Dem primary unless the party all choose to support him from the jump.

Like what electoral success besides the recall election gives people confidence in Newsom's electability?

Even in the recall election, his main opponent was an idiot.

I just don't see it with dude.

To win the presidency, the Democratic base is not enough. He has to win a ton of independents as well. I don't Newsom does anywhere close to as good with white men as Biden did also.
If Newsom ran in 2020, Biden would have blown him out with ease. Seems to me the main reason people are throwing his name out there is because inflation and Joe Manchin are screwing over Biden so bad, and has made up so unpopular, people think there should be a new candidate in 2024. Newsom as made himself some sort of left wing DeSantis. A powerful high profile governor that seems like the better choice than running the old embattled party leader.

Ok I get that.

But on paper, Newsom just doesn't seem uniquely appealing.

I don't think Newsom can win the Dem primary unless the party all choose to support him from the jump.
Of course Biden would have blown him out in 2020. Biden was way more popular and Newsom didn't start getting wildly known until around that time Biden would've won in 2016 as well had he ran.
However, I disagree with him not doing good with white male independents. I mean, if they voted for Pres Obama, anything is possible.
But that's still subjective. I also think the key would be getting the younger voters out to vote, which I think Newsom has the appeal to do.
I am also not referring to him running in 2024. yeah, I am fully aware of how Manchin and Sinema has railroaded Bidens agenda.
The reality is, no matter who the dems nominee is, they are going to need a dem congress to get anything done. We already know the repubs aren't going to work with anyone.

Of course Biden would have blown him out in 2020. Biden was way more popular and Newsom didn't start getting wildly known until around that time Biden would've won in 2016 as well had he ran.
However, I disagree with him not doing good with white male independents. I mean, if they voted for Pres Obama, anything is possible.
But that's still subjective. I also think the key would be getting the younger voters out to vote, which I think Newsom has the appeal to do.
I am also not referring to him running in 2024. yeah, I am fully aware of how Manchin and Sinema has railroaded Bidens agenda.
The reality is, no matter who the dems nominee is, they are going to need a dem congress to get anything done. We already know the repubs aren't going to work with anyone.
Remember how this line of thinking played out when it came to Hillary?

Putting electoral hopes on young voters just seems like a bad idea to me.

The bloc just doesn't vote at a rate high enough to protect the Dems if they underperform elsewhere.

Last edited:
Remember how this line of thinking played out when it came to Hillary.

Putting electoral hopes on young voters just seems like a bad idea to me.

The bloc just doesn't vote at a rate high enough to protect the Dems if they underperform else where.
Hillary just didn't appeal to the young voters. They saw her as an out of touch old lady.

Also, I am not putting all hope on the young voters. What I am simply implying is that, if he can get a decent amount of independents and appeal to young voters to get out to vote, then he'll be good. Same thing Obama had to do. One complaint that we see from younger voters is that candidates seem old and out of touch. Newsom doesn't come off as out of touch. At least from what I've seen.

The democratic base is going to vote for the democrat anyways. It’s the potential inbetween and slightly republican people that need to flip.

The republicans hate newsome, just like the hate California, just like the hated Hilary Clinton. It would be a landslide gop win if newsome ran.

Hillary just didn't appeal to the young voters. They saw her as an out of touch old lady.
If Hillary match Biden's splits with independents, she would be president. Turning out your base and convincing swing voters are the two most important. But I don't think her lost can mainly be put on her lack of appeal with young voters.

Young voters are too fickle and vote in too low a rate, to be the key to electoral victory.

The "young people would save us" way of thinking have sunk many a Dem.

Also, I am not putting all hope on the young voters. What I am simply implying is that, if he can get a decent amount of independents and appeal to young voters to get out to vote, then he'll be good. Same thing Obama had to do. One complaint that we see from younger voters is that candidates seem old and out of touch. Newsom doesn't come off as out of touch. At least from what I've seen.
Dude you are using one of the best political talents in modern history to argue that Newsom would be appealing.

Obama did turn out young voters above what you would expect a generic Dem but Obama also over performed in many other areas in 2008 (even though he ran behind the party on the generic ballot).

I just don't see Obama level talent or appeal in Newsom

Plus if Newsom ran in 2024, he would be a decade older than Obama when he was elected.

A 56 year old career politician that was major of San Fran, governor of Cali, with political scandals in his past, whose Republican ex wife could manufacture a negative headline about at any moment just doesn't seem anywhere close to having Obama level appeal.

Back
Top Bottom