***Official Political Discussion Thread***

On Newsom, all I would say is that in a highly polarized environment, he probably has as good of a chance as a generic Dem.

But I see nothing unique about him that gives me some extra confidence in him

I think Biden is old, really old

But I don't think he is out of touch generally

Not in the way most people act like he is.

Really comes off to me like "out of touch" is just for "not a progressive".

And really more like, “I’m not paying attention”. Biden’s agenda has, I think, been much further to the left than anyone would have predicted 4 or even 2 years ago. If he has 2 more votes in the Senate, I think progressives would have little to legitimately complain about. 12 more votes and it would be Roosevelt level.

Honestly, I think Biden gets profiled as “white old dude*” by a lot of voters and that gets translated into “out of touch”.

Maybe he needs to hire Bernie’s stylist. If he were more of a schlub, maybe the Reddit crowd would like him more.

* - And yes, the gaffes and some of the bad positions he had in the 90’s. and whatever

On Newsom, all I would say is that in a highly polarized environment, he probably has as good of a chance as a generic Dem.

But I see nothing unique about him that gives me some extra confidence in him

being a straight white male that is at least prepared to do something, is saying a whole lot

we've see how fruitless the GOP's attacks are against certain demographics

cause we know them traditional family values talking points going land with wayy too many people if it's say pete

If Hillary match Biden's splits with independents, she would be president. Turning out your base and convincing swing voters are the two most important. But I don't think her lost can mainly be put on her lack of appeal with young voters.

Young voters are too fickle and vote in too low a rate, to be the key to electoral victory.

The "young people would save us" way of thinking have sunk many a Dem.

Dude you are using one of the best political talents in modern history to argue that Newsom would be appealing.

Obama did turn out young voters above what you would expect a generic Dem but Obama also over performed in many other areas in 2008 (even though he ran behind the party on the generic ballot).

I just don't see Obama level talent or appeal in Newsom

Plus if Newsom ran in 2024, he would be a decade older than Obama when he was elected.

A 56 year old career politician that was major of San Fran, governor of Cali, with political scandals in his past, whose Republican ex wife could manufacture a negative headline about at any moment just doesn't seem anywhere close to having Obama level appeal.
Not comparing him to Obama. I am saying, he can probably follow that model. At least from what I can tell, young people rock with him and I can't see why independents wouldn't vote for him. Although, i know its only CA, but he also does well with white women
Also I don't think a sex scandal would hurt him that much.
However, he may not ever run for president, so it's a mute point. But if he did, I think he will do well. Not saying he'll win the nominee or presidency, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

This **** too accurate
dead (1).png

Back
Top Bottom