***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I'm already seeing people online trying to blame Joe Biden for this, and talking not voting again.

:smh:

I know this is fresh, and people are upset, but good grief people need to stop falling for the same scam.

Liberals not voting have given conservatives the power to do this.

I’ve been recently making the argument that there is literally zero downside of voting in Democratic Super Majorities.

EITHER we get a slew of socially democratic policies OR they fail to deliver and then we’d all know to what extent we’d need revolutionary act. Either you get your way or, at worse, you now have a clearer picture. In either case, you’re better of than if the GOP has majorities, or Democrats have simple or partial majorities.

LOL @ don’t get discouraged. Fam, there are people whose lives could’ve literally been changed today.

Up to 20k in loans isn’t much in the world of student loans these days, but it can be an albatross around the necks of folks who may not make a ton of $$. Or have kids, parents or others they’re caring for.

Telling those people to not be discouraged and vote harder is wild to me.

What are your solutions? Voting is the only way out. This decision is awful but par for the course for this SC. We didn’t get here in a day and we won’t get out in one either.

bit by bit, conservatives are making sure that less and less people can afford the middle class life that folks seem to be taking for granted.
Under capitalism each and every good thing you have going on in your life is something that capital would like to take away and is viewed as lost profits. Paid time off, health insurance, owning your own home, a comfortable retirement, the ability to have a higher education (or really any non vocational education), bathroom breaks, a predictable schedule, leisure time, recreation, rest, everything good is just an opportunity cost for investors and if capital could claw it away, it would.

When workers fight against the bourgeois dictatorship, they are not fighting out of envy. They are fighting for their lives.

Last edited:
What are your solutions? Voting is the only way out. This decision is awful but par for the course for this SC. We didn’t get here in a day and we won’t get out in one either.

Of course voting is the way out. I don’t think that’s ever been up for debate.

It’s the timing. If you were affected by this ruling I don’t think you’d immediately be saying don’t be discouraged. It’s okay for people to be upset, discouraged, etc.

Coming in like that just seems to discount the rollercoaster ride that a lot of people have been on with this whole student loan thing. Again, lives could’ve been changed for the better today and they weren’t. And I know you mean well, btw. No personal shots or anything like that.

Of course voting is the way out. I don’t think that’s ever been up for debate.

It’s the timing. If you were affected by this ruling I don’t think you’d immediately be saying don’t be discouraged. It’s okay for people to be upset, discouraged, etc.

Coming in like that just seems to discount the rollercoaster ride that a lot of people have been on with this whole student loan thing. Again, lives could’ve been changed for the better today and they weren’t. And I know you mean well, btw. No personal shots or anything like that.
I am directly impacted by this ruling. I work a job that I hate and one that has almost run me into an early grave just to make the student loan payments so I know what I’m talking about. I didn’t have a college fund or trust fund. The only way that I could afford higher education was with student loans and I had to refinance my student loan debt at awful rates when I graduated to make sure that I could get my parents name off of the co-signed loans to not hurt their financial situation. Not having my loans on their credit allowed them the ability to refinance their home which provided for the financial flexibility to afford my mother’s cancer care before she died. I am hurt just like everyone else but what I won’t do is let the deplorables in the SC make me give up. Too many people online are encouraging folks to give up and not vote or blame Joe and I won’t do that. We can be sad and disappointed but discouragement causes us to give up when that’s not what we need now and would play directly into their hands.

For the first time in my lifetime we actually have more political engagement on our side to get things done. The momentum for change is on our side we just need to keep pushing and staying engaged in the political process.

This **** gotta be frustrating
mjlol (1) (1).png

The further I remove myself from this discourse the better my personal health gets

For me the 2022 midterms changed my perspective on the whole situation.

If the GOP had romped AND we got all these horrible rulings I’d be feeling like the slippery slope of GOP anti majoritarianism is inescapable.

But the fact that they got slammed for messing with women and young people is heartening. The impulse for majoritarianism and a more egalitarian country is strong and it is the majority position.

Undoing counter majoritarian norms and purging conservatism and corruption from the body politic is akin to a retired prize fighter getting back into shape. The fighter had a health scare a year ago. By November, he was feeling much better. He made steady gains in the first half of 2023. He suffered some some injuries on his next run. But he’ll be back to training pretty soon. We know our fighter could while jogging get hit by a red raised truck, or succumb to apathy next year. We don’t know the outcome but we know that our fighter has a high pain threshold, a will to persist, and an understanding that if he doesn’t achieve his goals, his quality and length of life will be diminished. I have a feeling our fighter will be doing a solid 10k in November of 2024 and our fighter may be very fit and heathy before this decade ends.

———

As far as voting and student debt goes we all know that I have my critiques of its limitations. But it’s still worth it for several reasons.

Can we vote ourselves a classless, stateless, moneyless, borderless, raceless, genderless world? Of course not. But student debt cancellation, free college, something like a public option for health insurance, bringing back affirmative action, fair districting, an easy path to citizenship, taking in more refugees, unbanning books, expanding the court, an interstate voting compact, full legal protections for LGBT+, transferring money from police departments and the pentagon to social services. That’s all doable as a best case scenario if Democrats, on balance, keep on winning.

Now to go beyond that, we’d need revolution. Things like a UBI. Land back, reparations, abolishing the carceral state, worker control of the economy, won’t be done by voting. But having a suite of socially democratic policies means that marginalized people can feel relatively safe and secure and would be in a position to demand more of the state, of the economy, and of society itself.

Back
Top Bottom