***Official Political Discussion Thread***

It seems to me you drawn a pretty arbitrary line around "prefered name" vs "nickname" what makes one acceptable to not comply with vs the other.
I’m not at all :lol:. Employers ask your preferred name for a reason. I have colleagues who are originally from countries like Korea, with names like Hyun bum but their preferred name is Robert. People have various reasons for preferred names. I’ll comply with them out of respect for them.
A pronoun is not like that, they are actually not the same sex as the corresponding pronoun. So by this logic, it IS similar to a nickname and it is totally reasonable to not comply.
I don’t agree with the reasoning or train of thought here at all.
It seems to me it's the underlying fact that their name is that name and it is in fact short for X.
See above for why the preferred name versus nicknames distinction you’re making doesn’t really follow — preferred names are more than just shortening. Some
And even internet jokes, I think not calling someone by a preferred name is an acceptable joke, I don't youd accept misgendering someone as acceptable internet joke
I agree with this actually because of the harm aspect — but both are showing a lack of respect for the person’s wishes which is at the core of my point.
I admire your valor. If I do something as a courtesy I have the right revoke it. It is reasonable to shake someone's hand when you meet them,

I don't think it's unreasonable to revoke that courtesy if certain conditions are met.
You’re adding that it’s a “courtesy” in an effort to weaken the point. Shaking someone’s hand and calling them their preferred name thay they’ve requested to be called are vastly different things :lol:

I digress though. *tips cap*

Would you be comfortable misgendering a trans person on the internet, provided their internet sneaker forum posts were of low quality?
Nah, I agree that it’s not appropriate for me to do so. But to make the comparison here more poignant — I’m also not a trans person and I don’t know how I’d feel if another trans person was violently anti trans daily, antagonizing other trans people in the thread and supporting anti trans politicians and policies. So I’m not sure that I can speak for how I’d behave in that situation

Looks like they're going to try and get something done under the Higher Education Act on student loans.

The older I get the more left I get, I wouldn’t call myself a liberal though. I’d like to see the whole capitalist system just burn to the ground.
Bruh same. I've been radicalizing my own mother into a union-championing progressive the past couple years after she finally realizes how much she's been taken advantage of at her place of work, after decades of preaching how predatory and scummy unions are (lol). My dad (a Trump voting conservative) is next in my sights after he recently complained about how he's been passed over twice for promotions because of his age (at a oil/pipeline firm). That one's gonna be tougher.

Bruh same. I've been radicalizing my own mother into a union-championing progressive the past couple years after she finally realizes how much she's been taken advantage of at her place of work, after decades of preaching how predatory and scummy unions are (lol). My dad (a Trump voting conservative) is next in my sights after he recently complained about how he's been passed over twice for promotions because of his age (at a oil/pipeline firm). That one's gonna be tougher.

it’s the only way I’ll roll man, unions are big here. Look across the border in WI and the same job is trash. They are a must in 2023.

I know we joke about mining here but that’s another thing I’m totally for as long as it’s responsible that liberals are generally against. We’re all eating off mining here. I work for one, I can’t even put a number on how many union jobs related to mining are within 30 mins of me. Free health care, pension the works. Shut down mining and we’re toast but the libs won’t have any 🚴‍♂️ paths so they won’t.

IMG_4103.jpeg

You may laugh. You may find this proposal “reckless””ludicrous””totally unworkable””hare brained” and “spectacle as a substitute for actual governance.” But what you don’t understand is that Trump is secretly an ally of POC in that black and Latino and Asian parents will vote actual educators to o erase their kids’ schools while many majority white school districts cavalcade of absolute cranks: men who put hidden cameras in the women’s bathroom at Kohls, five time convicted drunk drivers, people who sell supplements, moms who pose with her seven and three year old sons holding loaded guns in their family Christmas cards, people who think the nextdoor app is “woke,” dudes who can name and describe every episode of “Ancient Aliens,” women who are no longer allowed inside a Chilis or an Applebees.

The Supreme Court may have gutted affirmative action but having millions of white kids attend a school whose principle is someone who ran for it entirely to use the school as a means to promote their current pyramid scheme, that will close the college graduation gap for sure.

I’ve been on the internet since 1993 and this video is weirdest thing I’ve seen ever online.

Also, you know how awful you have to be when MAGA people are in your replies telling you to be more inclusive?! lol

Speaking of having a normal day,

Last edited:
gry60 gry60 the more I learn about the shh the more baffling the shh is

that‘s a whole lotta money, time and hate being wasted/used on a damn hypothetical

gry60 gry60 the more I learn about the shh the more baffling the shh is

that‘s a whole lotta money, time and hate being wasted/used on a damn hypothetical

With all the focus on the student loan case, the public accommodation case is even worse. Gorsuch's entire opinion is built on a lie

If SCOTUS has time to hear cases and opine about about non-existent/hypothetical companies with non-existent potential clients, maybe we need to restructure how the court operates

Back
Top Bottom