***Official Political Discussion Thread***

1710095535055.png

Congress has to approve it. California, Oregon and Washington all want to get rid of it.

So if Congress gets rid of it, which do we keep? Spring ahead or Fall back? Because I want to keep the Spring ahead. Really enjoy it staying light on the east coast till 7 pm or so (up to 8 in summer). Getting dark around 5 pm at the earliest sucks rocks.

I had to do a project on DST once and how/why we continue to use it.

I'd prefer we stay on permanent DST, but I guess doctors say "standard" time is better for our health as it is better for us to get more light in the morning than in the evening. Educators also generally favor standard time, as permanent DST would lead to dark mornings in the winter that could pose risks for kids getting to school before sunrise. Commercial interests, especially tourism and retail businesses, are in favor of permanent DST with greater sunlight into the evening.

The Senate passed the Sunshine Protection Act in 2022, which would make DST permanent. But it didn't go anywhere in 2023 and I don't see it moving forward in 2024.

So if Congress gets rid of it, which do we keep? Spring ahead or Fall back? Because I want to keep the Spring ahead. Really enjoy it staying light on the east coast till 7 pm or so (up to 8 in summer). Getting dark around 5 pm at the earliest sucks rocks.

Spring forward. The only drawback is that it'll still be dark at 9 am in the winter (in Seattle, at least).

I had to do a project on DST once and how/why we continue to use it.

I'd prefer we stay on permanent DST, but I guess doctors say "standard" time is better for our health as it is better for us to get more light in the morning than in the evening. Educators also generally favor standard time, as permanent DST would lead to dark mornings in the winter that could pose risks for kids getting to school before sunrise. Commercial interests, especially tourism and retail businesses, are in favor of permanent DST with greater sunlight into the evening.

The Senate passed the Sunshine Protection Act in 2022, which would make DST permanent. But it didn't go anywhere in 2023 and I don't see it moving forward in 2024.

I can 100% say when I was selling cars, the first week or so turning the clocks back, the lot was dead. People have to get used to the days getting dark early and it usually picks up 2 weeks afterwards (at least this was when people wanted to walk the lot to see cars). 👍

Back
Top Bottom