***Official Political Discussion Thread***

1710294146858.png

weird to smile ear to ear while holding up the poster of a brutally murdered woman.

totally deranged to sign the poster.

Also her name is misspelled. I wonder when the outrage over that will come…

I have to be in the cybertruck capital of the world, I've seen 4 of em so far in austin.

Actually look pretty nice in person, smaller and less imposing than I was expecting. but def turns heads whenever one pops up.
Have you been to the comedy mothership?

Don’t do this to yourself :smh:

to be clear ive always liked the Cybetruck design even before I saw it in person.

modern car design is horrifyingly boring, everything has the same like samsung washing machine design language.

at this point im happy when anyone tries something new.

Modern cars are incredibly safe, efficient, and performant compared to cars even 20 years ago. My wife’s 2017 A4 is about as fast to 60 as my “02 M3, but does it with half the gas, a smoother ride, and room for adults in the back. I haven’t checked, but I’m sure it’s safer, too.

But I think the downside is that the engineering constraints are so highly specified, that there’s not a lot of room in the design for… design. Everyone is sort of conversing on what is at least a local optimal value and it’s hard to veer from that without compromising on the practical design objectives.

If they look l8e appliances, that’s more or less what they’ve become. Desktop computers are similar…

Anyway, it also makes me sad in a way, but I have to admit that, price aside, the automotive marketplace is just leaps and bounds better than it ever has been. Even if it’s a crossover nightmare.

Modern cars are incredibly safe, efficient, and performant compared to cars even 20 years ago. My wife’s 2017 A4 is about as fast to 60 as my “02 M3, but does it with half the gas, a smoother ride, and room for adults in the back. I haven’t checked, but I’m sure it’s safer, too.

But I think the downside is that the engineering constraints are so highly specified, that there’s not a lot of room in the design for… design. Everyone is sort of conversing on what is at least a local optimal value and it’s hard to veer from that without compromising on the practical design objectives.

If they look l8e appliances, that’s more or less what they’ve become. Desktop computers are similar…

Anyway, it also makes me sad in a way, but I have to admit that, price aside, the automotive marketplace is just leaps and bounds better than it ever has been. Even if it’s a crossover nightmare.

i agree, im sure fuel efficiency standards, engineering constraints play a big part in it. which is for the best.

but I also think there's some cowardice design wise and playing it safe.

like you don't have to go full cyber truck.

The new Ford Bronco looks unique and are nice.

Kia Iqoniqs are a bit more daring also.

I think theres is room for more interesting designs but people would just rather play it safe.

I remember all the (deserved) hate the Pontiac Aztec got, but now I see a ton of apologists who I think are just as desperate for something “different”.

I’m offended by any 4 door Bronco, but no one should listen to old men about taste.

Didn’t watch testimony, but thought he’d take a hard right turn after leaving his position at the doj. Seems he hasn’t based on the comments here.

A loophole where you’re getting paid in potatoes? Sounds like an episode of something where the judge will make the farmer serve as your butler to remedy the situation. Hope you get what you’re owed, fam.

Not surprised at the grift, but a G for vip is cheap. If you’re gonna get over, go big.

Waiting for the fox news check to clear before picking a side maybe?
To make a recent comparison, I was expecting a testimony similar to that of John Durham.
His appointment wasn’t controversial, and reports from both sides of the spectrum seemed to respect him as a ‘straight shooter.’
That reputation quickly sank.

The Durham report doesn’t contain anything as egregious as the deceptive language about Biden’s memory, at least in my view, but overall it was clear he at some point became Barr’s lapdog, going on every Republican conspiracy goose chase and losing every case he brought.

The only case Durham didn’t lose was Kevin Clinesmith, who pleaded guilty and was already exposed by the DOJ Inspector General for criminally altering an email used in a surveillance warrant. The work had all been done by the Inspector General, all Durham did was charge him for the conduct and secure a guilty plea.
The people indicted by John Durham as part of his own work both got acquitted at trial.

John Durham, both during his investigation and in his testimony, clearly showed a willingness to play ball with politicizing his investigation. Notably by things like unnecessary statements that had Fox News in a frenzy, like him immediately contradicting the DOJ Inspector General’s conclusion that the Russia investigation was not opened or conducted improperly due to political bias. Durham’s statement didn’t conyain anything to substantiate his repudiation. He never apologized for that statement either, despite his report also concluding the Russia investigation was not improperly affected by political bias. His only issue according to the Durham report was that Durham felt a lesser type of preliminary investigation should’ve been opened. That’s clearly not what he said or implied in his statement refuting DOJ Inspector General Horowitz.

When John Durham testified, it was exactly what you’d expect. Gladly playing along with the GOP’s political games, hostile demeanor when questioned by Democrats about his work, …

I’m aware of the Steve Bannon connection relating to Robert Hur but I think Hur hiring the same lawyer hardly means anything.

Jared Kushner and Ivanka hired Abbe Lowell as their attorney for the Russia investigation.
Guess who’s currently being represented by Abbe Lowell…
Hunter Biden

I’d have to look into the particular lawyer to have the necessary context to make a properly informed conclusion on it but as a preliminary opinion, I think using the same lawyer as someone like Bannon is largely irrelevant. As seen by Hunter Biden being represented by Jared Kushner’s former lawyer.

I just realized that the most nightmarish blunt rotation imaginable would be drawn from the failed Vice Presidential candidates club.

Paul Ryan, Sarah Palin, Kanye West, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Lieberman!

Good Lord!

To make a recent comparison, I was expecting a testimony similar to that of John Durham.
His appointment wasn’t controversial, and reports from both sides of the spectrum seemed to respect him as a ‘straight shooter.’
That reputation quickly sank.

The Durham report doesn’t contain anything as egregious as the deceptive language about Biden’s memory, at least in my view, but overall it was clear he at some point became Barr’s lapdog, going on every Republican conspiracy goose chase and losing every case he brought.

The only case Durham didn’t lose was Kevin Clinesmith, who pleaded guilty and was already exposed by the DOJ Inspector General for criminally altering an email used in a surveillance warrant. The work had all been done by the Inspector General, all Durham did was charge him for the conduct and secure a guilty plea.
The people indicted by John Durham as part of his own work both got acquitted at trial.

John Durham, both during his investigation and in his testimony, clearly showed a willingness to play ball with politicizing his investigation. Notably by things like unnecessary statements that had Fox News in a frenzy, like him immediately contradicting the DOJ Inspector General’s conclusion that the Russia investigation was not opened or conducted improperly due to political bias. Durham’s statement didn’t conyain anything to substantiate his repudiation. He never apologized for that statement either, despite his report also concluding the Russia investigation was not improperly affected by political bias. His only issue according to the Durham report was that Durham felt a lesser type of preliminary investigation should’ve been opened. That’s clearly not what he said or implied in his statement refuting DOJ Inspector General Horowitz.

When John Durham testified, it was exactly what you’d expect. Gladly playing along with the GOP’s political games, hostile demeanor when questioned by Democrats about his work, …

I’m aware of the Steve Bannon connection relating to Robert Hur but I think Hur hiring the same lawyer hardly means anything.

Jared Kushner and Ivanka hired Abbe Lowell as their attorney for the Russia investigation.
Guess who’s currently being represented by Abbe Lowell…
Hunter Biden

I’d have to look into the particular lawyer to have the necessary context to make a properly informed conclusion on it but as a preliminary opinion, I think using the same lawyer as someone like Bannon is largely irrelevant. As seen by Hunter Biden being represented by Jared Kushner’s former lawyer.
To avoid making the quoted post even longer:
With this comparison of Robert Hur and John Durham, I of course expected Hur to carry himself in a similar manner to Durham.

Instead, I saw a very professional and cordial witness who took great care in sticking to his report and avoiding Republicans’ attempts to get him to state his own view, speculate or go outside the scope of his report.
It seemed like Republicans were just as surprised as I was that Hur wasn’t taking the bait.

Again, I’ve read the entirety of Hur’s report, the Biden transcripts that followed, and watched Hur’s full testimony.

Without that deceptive section on Biden’s memory in his report, I would have a very positive view.
I can’t explain that section, nor is it known if Hur himself authored that part. In any case, he had the final say.

Conclusion:
The very deceptive section in Hur’s report is clear evidence of an unnecessary smear atempt, as it does not accurately reflect the transcripts later released.

This is a very egregious fault with Hur’s report, however it is also an isolated incident.

I have seen zero other indictions of deception, malice or political bias in the rest of the report.
Overall, the tone and content is professional and I’d even describe it as quite charitable to Biden and his ghostwriter, who Hur also declined to prosecute.

Much to my surprise, I think that “zero other indictions of deception, malice or political bias” could even be said about his testimony, again aside from defending that one section.

Idk if we’ll ever get an explanation of how such a contradictory mess came to be.

Last edited:
The "x caused the fall of Rome" discourse is great. Anyone can insert their favorite current day neurosis hobby horse. Roman history spans 2,000+ years. The decline of the republic is used interchangeably with the dissolution of the Western Roman Empire. Funniest of all, is that within a few generations of embracing Christianity, the Western Half fell apart. Not a W for epic reddit atheists but definitely an L for Christian nationalists.

No matter where you stand politically, you can insert your story into the narrative and no consensus opinion will form against you because everyone else has their own theories derived from their present day concerns.

Although some theories are harmful like Nixon's claim that the last six Roman emperors were, uh, let's say LGBTQ. Other narratives are just annoying like the claim that it fell because they were all "distracted" by the games in the Coliseum.

The only real consensus of the fall of the Empire was that the last six Emperors were Libs.

The only thing that's going to create change at Boeing is a catastrophic failure on a domestic flight, killing hundreds of (almost entirely) Americans. You do NOT want that PR hit after almost 25 years of no major airline disasters (9/11 excluded). I think American was the last major disaster, right after 9/11, and Alaska (on an old MD plane) was before it, in 2000. The pilots literally inverted the plane in an attempt to save it. They were pros, and they still went down. The cockpit audio is harrowing.

Edit: I live in Seattle. When Boeing moved their corporate office to Chicago, decades ago, everyone knew it was the end. It wasn't run by engineers anymore. It was big office guys who don't know ANYTHING about engineering or how to build a plane. It was all bottom line. They cut corners. They don't listen to engineers. This has built up for decades, and we're seeing the effects now. There WILL be a literal crash of an airliner at some point on American soil. It's going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom