***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Reasonable for who? If there are privacy concerns they can easily be extended to the entire industry but instead the chinese app is targeted while every other CEO mocks congress to their face. It's also bad politics for Dems.

Reasonable for who? If there are privacy concerns they can easily be extended to the entire industry but instead the chinese app is targeted while every other CEO mocks congress to their face.

well yes because the chinese app is chinese. problem?

again since when did people suddenly become free market libertarians?
American has all sort of preferential treatment for citizens and local business then it does for international business.

let alone international business controlled by foreign adversary.

like were you this charaged up when they banned huawei and ZTE from the american 5G infrastructure market?

It's also bad politics for Dems.

what evidence do you have for this claim? someone else can just buy tiktok.

Im so confused by the libertarian turn by some letists on this issue.

TikTok can be sold to an american company, there's zero upside in giving the CCP american free speech rights.

Reasonable for who? If there are privacy concerns they can easily be extended to the entire industry but instead the chinese app is targeted while every other CEO mocks congress to their face. It's also bad politics for Dems.

The concern isn't strictly about data collection and privacy. It is that the Chinese Communist Party has a mechanism to affect TikTok's algorithm whenever they like, potentially for political gain.

And this concern is valid.

TikTok proved it last week too. They sent out a message to all their US users, mischaracterizing the bill, and encouraging people to take political action.

And their CEO's reasoning as to why that would never happen with the CCP is basically "trust me bro".

Everyone was rightfully upset at them trying to use Twitter to benefit Trump, yet no one should be concerned about this?

Yes there is some hypocrisy surrounding all this, but still, it is reasonable for the US government to not want an adversary to have this kind of power.

China would never let something like this fly in their country either.

Just sell the US operations and be done with it.

Last edited:
Now I'm a libertarian because I want industry-wide regulations that don't make it appear to young voters as if the government only gets off its *** to be jingoist.

I see a lot of online Leftist are falling for a scam by TikTok

They do not want to divest. That is it.

They don't give a **** about free speech, data privacy, equal treatment, none of that.

In the face of a ban, they probably will sell

The ban is just the stick to force a sale

So all people are arguing about is if ByteDance gets to get their their highly successful product, or if they get to get billions for it from an American company.

People gotta ask themselves, this is really a progressive cause worth fighting for?

Now I'm a libertarian because I want industry-wide regulations that don't make it appear to young voters as if the government only gets off its *** to be jingoist.

Well yah not being protectionist is def libertarian coded. The idea that it's bad to favour domestic companies vs international firms is def more libertarian than progressive.

Hypocrisy is annoying but it's not actually a good reason to not to do the obviously smart thing.

I'm sure young voters will recover, why would they care who the parent company of Tiktol is?

If Don Lemon is smart he will title the interview "Elon Musk did not like this interview so he fired me". Or something petty like that. Would get huge numbers. Will either way though i'm guessing. 😂

Back
Top Bottom