***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Just like late night talk shows, I think a lot of these are scripted or guided to only discuss what is agreed upon.

yah there's no evidence going on Joe Rogan is anything like that.
there are people who talked about going on Rogan, I listened to two journalists who went on Rogan, they just sat down and they hit record.

and if you listened to Rogan, the idea that his conversations are tightly guided like a late night talk show is just seems absurd on its face.

I don’t doubt Rohan is at best loosely scripted, but I remember being pretty surprised to learn that those classic Andy Kaufman appearances on Letterman were all pre-planned.

Absolutely. How many people eating up far right talking points are actually “non-political”?
From what I remember from 2016 and beyond is that the people that eat that **** up weren’t into politics whatsoever prior

I don’t doubt Rohan is at best loosely scripted, but I remember being pretty surprised to learn that those classic Andy Kaufman appearances on Letterman were all pre-planned.

In this age of comedians telling all the backstage details you'd think someone would have come out and said that it's scripted.

All the other people I've heard talk about there experience say it's turn on the mics and go.

If they are promoting a book yah he'll talk about your book a bit but that's about it.

These aren't bits like the Andy Kaufman thing.

I don’t doubt Rohan is at best loosely scripted
IMG_3615.png

Absolutely. How many people eating up far right talking points are actually “non-political”?

I think some people have a hard time believing that people listen to Rogan for non political reasons. I know plenty of them. I'm one of them..

I listen when he has an interesting guest. I don't care about what ever goofy politics statements he makes in the same way I don't care about him promoting quack carnivores diets.

Those people exist. The idea that they are unreachable or un persuadable just seems incredibly defeatist to me.

I think some people have a hard time believing that people listen to Rogan for non political reasons. I know plenty of them. I'm one of them..

I listen when he has an interesting guest. I don't care about what ever goofy politics statements he makes in the same way I don't care about him promoting quack carnivores diets.

Those people exist. The idea that they are unreachable or un persuadable just seems incredibly defeatist to me.
You are a political person though. I didn’t say anything about the reasons that you listened. You said his listeners were filled with non-political people, which is what I responded to.

I guess our disagreement is more about what non-political means in this context. If you’re a self described free thinker, but your politics tend to align with all of the right wing nut jobs — I don’t consider that person non-political.

You are a political person though. I didn’t say anything about the reasons that you listened. You said his listeners were filled with non-political people, which is what I responded to.

I guess our disagreement is more about what non-political means in this context. If you’re a self described free thinker, but your politics tend to align with all of the right wing nut jobs — I don’t consider that person non-political.

Sorry to be clear, by "non-political" I mean a person that doesn't have strongly ideologically coherent political attachments.

Everyone has political opinions or thoughts.

When I think of a highly "political person" I think of someone highly ideological and highly informed on politics.

I'm a political person but I don't listen to Joe Rogan for it's political content. I'm not right wing, I'm pretty far to the left compared to the median American, and unless you think I'm some unique snow flake I think it's reasonable to guess there are people all across the spectrum who listen to Rogan and aren't right wing ideologies.

Sorry to be clear, by "non-political" I mean a person that doesn't have strongly ideologically coherent political attachments.

Everyone has political opinions or thoughts.

When I think of a highly "political person" I think of someone highly ideological and highly informed on politics.

I'm a political person but I don't listen to Joe Rogan for it's political content. I'm not right wing, I'm pretty far to the left compared to the median American, and unless you think I'm some unique snow flake I think it's reasonable to guess there are people all across the spectrum who listen to Rogan and aren't right wing ideologies.
Yea, I think that there are some for sure. But by and large, especially with what we’re seeing on the shift in conservatism amongst males pretty much globally, I don’t think that describing swaths of Rogan listeners as non-political in this hyperpolarized world we live in is really accurate. Sure, they might not describe themselves as members of the Republican Party but I’d imagine parsing through political leanings and voting habits we’d get to the same point for the majority. Maybe I’m just way wrong.

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh got this Rogan thing from Mathew Yglesias that I believe he still has not properly scrutinized this Rogan argument.

The original form of this argument from now years ago was that Rogan himself was some pursuable nonpolitical person who is close to the median voter. At the time, and since, he backed off with part of the argument because observable reality has shown Rogan not to be those things. Rogan has gotten more reactionary, more overtly right-wing, and still is a racist.

That argument was flawed then, this new version is flawed also. But I admit is stronger than the last one.

Generally, I think Demcorats and liberals should be willing to go on all popular platforms to make their case, Rogan included. That is fair.

Specifically, regarding Rogan, I think Osh's argument does a ton of handwaving, guessing, and overestimating to make it seem like the issue is liberals/democrats poorly purity testing to their detriment, and are defeatist.

All the other people I've heard talk about there experience say it's turn on the mics and go.

To be clear, I think you’re right about RoGan’s ad hoc approach.
I'm a political person but I don't listen to Joe Rogan for it's political content.

Serious question: why do you listen? Years ago the expected group of “bros” in my circle recommended him to me and I couldn’t get through 10 minutes. He’s just so aggressively dumb.

Even when Rogan had people on who'd strongly disagree with some of his statements, he'd make sure to keep it light and stay away from politics with them.

Maybe if a big name was asked to do his show and said no cause you're a f`in racist Joe, that would send a message (to Rogan anyways) better than doing 3 hours of talking about DMT, ufos, and elk meat, if he even still talks about that stuff.

Last edited:
Even when Rogan had people on who'd strongly disagree with some of his statements, he'd made sure to keep it light and stay away from politics with them.

Maybe if a big name was asked to do his show and said no cause you're a f`in racist Joe, that would send a message (to Rogan anyways) better than doing 3 hours of talking about DMT, ufos, and elk meat, if he even still talks about that stuff.
This is an important point

Rogan is not stupid. I can see a pattern in how he engages with ideas and arguments.

If someone is right-wing, Rogan strongly agrees with them and pushes deeper into the discussion.

If someone strongly pushes back and he looks like his position is undercut, he keeps it light, jokes, diverts the discussion, and plays the dumb meathead act.

And then he brings on people that claim to be on the left, but dislike the Dems and their cultural politics. Then he will agree with them.

This whole liberals should go on Rogan for a political upside thing depends on Joe Rogan, a reactionary right-wing racist, going along with this plan.

It is not that simple

Last edited:
Like I think Pete Buttigieg would happily go on Rogan.

he would talk circles around him and make Rogan's takes look stupid.

Rogan would nod along, and play the "well I dunno" innocent act.

Then the very next episode have someone on ****ting on Pete, calling him a diversity hire, then make bad faith comments about things Pete says like, like he has done in the past....

To be clear, I think you’re right about RoGan’s ad hoc approach.

Serious question: why do you listen? Years ago the expected group of “bros” in my circle recommended him to me and I couldn’t get through 10 minutes. He’s just so aggressively dumb.

He's good at interviewing people.

Probably because he is a relatively simple gullible guy.

He creates a good environment for guests to get more real then you would see in a more formal interview with a journalist.

So if you like the guest Joe Rogan will usually produce and entertaining interview.

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh got this Rogan thing from Mathew Yglesias that I believe he still has not properly scrutinized this Rogan argument.
I got ths from myself. Ive always had this opinion.of Rogan. This opinion extends to basically every other case of boycotting or problematic artists and content in general. I feel this way about dave Chappelle, or insert any other problematic person or idea.

So unless I have secret access to Yglesias opinions on all these matter I think it's totally unfair assertion.

We simply have similar politics. And so people with similar politics and similar first principles will come to similar conclusions on stuff like this.

Specifically, regarding Rogan, I think Osh's argument does a ton of handwaving, guessing, and overestimating to make it seem like the issue is liberals/democrats poorly purity testing to their detriment, and are defeatist

We are all guessing. None of us have access to perfect information. And I don't think you need acess to perfect information to make reasonable guesses.

Or make a judgment about which guess is more reasonable.

I think "go on the most popular English language podcast in the world" is more reasonable than "boycott the most popular English language podcast in the world"

Even without perfect information.

Back
Top Bottom