***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Yeah...they probably should have respectfully declined the request to wear the kente cloth...
So if you as a white guy want to take issue with something older black people wanted done to show unity, cool.

I am free to think it is dumb

Do you act this entitled and privileged in real life as well?

This pivot here, though...this is a skill i need to learn.

Last edited:
Yeah...they probably should have respectfully declined the request to wear the kente cloth...
Ok, fine

But to act like them wearing it, at the request of their black collogues, is them virtue signaling and not trying to effect change it silly to me. The were literally trying to do something. That that the presser was announcing.

At least know the context if you are gonna base an argument on it.

Don't try to joke it away

I want to know if you lecture black people about how they celebrate their culture in real life as well. Hmm

Are you referring to yourself or chuck Schumer as black?

do you think only black people were affected by George’s death and what followed?

I don’t understand your angle here, are you trying to make this about yourself were you in the picture, are you responsible for passing police reform?

By asking if I lecture black people in real life I’m gonna assume you’re saying I’m lecturing you.

i dunno it just seems pretty obvious she's a democrat.

im sure she'll do a go vote message, her audience is mostly democrats.
does it really matter if she explicitly endorses Kamala?
While I agree it does seem obvious she's a democrat, I disagree that her audience is mostly democrats. EVERY SINGLE girl in my daughter's 4th grade class dressed as Taylor Swift for Halloween last year. This is at a private school in a more conservative area of CA, so I'd say at least half of them have republican parents. Her audience is young and diverse. Plenty of them are independents who may be undecided or conservative leaning who could be convinced to vote democrat. Even if it doesn't sway young conservative parents, at least it might influence their children that mommy and daddy might not be as holy as they claim to be and they can become future democrats. It definitely moves the needle, maybe even just enough in the right states.

Are you referring to yourself or chuck Schumer as black?

do you think only black people were affected by George’s death and what followed?

I don’t understand your angle here, are you trying to make this about yourself were you in the picture, are you responsible for passing police reform?
Black people brought the kente, Chuck Schumer wore it because his black colleagues asked him too.

I am saying the black people that were celebrating their culture were the members of the CBC what brought and requested it be worn.

I am not talking about myself.

So your doubling down and calling it simple virtue signaling, is taking issue with the actions of those black people as well

Seems obvious you didn't know the context of what was going on that morning, so you used an horrible example to back up your take, and instead of backtracking, you are doubling down because my tone pissed you off.

It's kind of one of those damn if you do damn if you don't moments. People would've had an issue either way. So why not just go with what your colleagues are asking you to do to show solidarity?

Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 00.26.31.png

their heads would explode

While I agree it does seem obvious she's a democrat, I disagree that her audience is mostly democrats. EVERY SINGLE girl in my daughter's 4th grade class dressed as Taylor Swift for Halloween last year. This is at a private school in a more conservative area of CA, so I'd say at least half of them have republican parents. Her audience is young and diverse. Plenty of them are independents who may be undecided or conservative leaning who could be convinced to vote democrat. Even if it doesn't sway young conservative parents, at least it might influence their children that mommy and daddy might not be as holy as they claim to be and they can become future democrats. It definitely moves the needle, maybe even just enough in the right states.

yah but gender polarization gets more pronounced the younger you get. an 18 year old girl is almost certainly going to vote democrat.
and if they aren't it's prob for some reaosn like they are pro life, so I doubt A Tay Tay endorsement moves them.

i don't have a strong opinion either way, it just seems to me there is a trade off with celebrity endorsement, if the celebrity seems explicitly political, or a member of the democratic party,
imo it seems less effective.

I could see a world where a generic go out and vote message is more valuable than an explicit endorsement.

Black people brought the kente, Chuck Schumer wore it because his black collogues asked him too.

I am saying the black people that were celebrating their culture were the members of the CBC what brought and requested it be worn.

I am not talking about myself.

So your doubling down and calling it simple virtue signaling, is taking issue with the actions of those black people as well

Seems obvious you didn't know the context of what was going on that morning, so you used an horrible example to back up your take, and instead of backtracking, you are doubling down because my tone pissed you off.

Dude I don’t like that it was used as a photo op, it didn’t seem genuine to me. It seem exploitative regardless.

You got some pent up anger at me or what?

It's kind of one of those damn if you do damn if you don't moments. People would've had an issue either way. So why not just go with what your colleagues are asking you to do to show solidarity?
To keep your dignity and the respect of your constituents.

You're right, though. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. But just as we look back and say "yeah, that was silly", if they said no in the moment, that information got out and they were judged harshly for it? We'd probably look back and say "yeah, that would have looked foolish".

Like, do you get extra matchy matchy with your girl cuz she asked? Or do you tell her, nah, that **** looks dumb.

Rogan's too worried about his paycheck to take a stance.

He already backtracked when he said RFK was the only candidate that made sense to him and pissed MAGA off.

I think there is no secret where Swift lands on National Politics

So I don't think it makes a massive difference.

If she says "get out and vote". Most people will know who she wants them to vote for.

Republican's are just scared she can drive turnout among a low turnout age cohort.

Which I doubt she can by enough to effect and election.

But then again, the powers of Taytay have often surprised me.

on the topic of cultural clothing...

I could be wrong about this but it feels like wearing clothes of different cultures is much more taboo in America than it is in other countries.
like Nigerians love it when non Nigerians rock african clothes.

but for example i feel like americans always make fun of Adele for that Jamaican fit she wore once,

1724370670887.png

meanwhile in Toronto,
this is what the Mayor wore during Caribana. and everyone loved it.

1724370371982.png

am i wrong about this perception?

Dude I don’t like that it was used as a photo op, it didn’t seem genuine to me. It seem exploitative regardless.

The House Speaker called a presser to announce a major bill. Like they do for every other major high profile bill.

Of course camera would be there. They didn't just call the presser to wear Kente

You got some pent up anger at me or what?

You are not special

You made a bad take and was implicitly ****ting on black people, with a extremely weak argument.

So yes, maybe I didn't like that

on the topic of cultural clothing...

I could be wrong about this but it feels like wearing clothes of different cultures is much more taboo in america than it is in other countries.
like Nigerians love it when non Nigerians rock african clothes.

but for example i feel like americans always make fun of Adele for that Jamaican fit she wore once, meanwhile in Toronto,
this is what the Mayor wore during Caribana. and everyone loved it.

1724370371982.png

am i wrong about this perception?
I was absolutely triggered by this picture. Everything don't have to be for everybody. And everything, in fact, is not for everybody.

I think you're correct in this perception.

The House Speaker called a presser to announce a major bill. Like they do for every other major high profile bill.

Of course camera would be there. They didn't just call the presser to wear Kente

You are not special

You made a bad take and was implicitly ****ting on black people, with a extremely weak argument.

So yes, maybe I didn't like that

Numerous people said it was silly, the one where they are kneeling is literally a posed picture.

But go ahead and single me out. I feel a type of way about it too I guess since I watched it all go down because bum *** mpd and what followed with black ig posts and nonsense pissed me off and to me it came off like capitalizing on a tragedy for clout.

I’m not against you man whether you think it or not.

To keep your dignity and the respect of your constituents.

You're right, though. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. But just as we look back and say "yeah, that was silly", if they said no in the moment, that information got out and they were judged harshly for it? We'd probably look back and say "yeah, that would have looked foolish".

Like, do you get extra matchy matchy with your girl cuz she asked? Or do you tell her, nah, that **** looks dumb.

Can't compare your personal life with a public figure trying to show solidarity to their colleagues that they actual give a damn that people who look like them are treated unjustly.

I was absolutely triggered by this picture. Everything don't have to be for everybody. And everything, in fact, is not for everybody.

I think you're correct in this perception.

in other countries i the attitude is completely different.

i never understood why people were mad at adele, but now i see it might be a cultural disconnect.

Can't compare your personal life with a public figure trying to show solidarity to their colleagues that they actual give a damn that people who look like them are treated unjustly.
I disagree. Not expecting to change your mind here but you (general you) absolutely care about what your SO thinks of you and the efforts you put in on the relationship. Shooting down their request feels comparable to me.

Back
Top Bottom