***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I was absolutely triggered by this picture. Everything don't have to be for everybody. And everything, in fact, is not for everybody.

I think you're correct in this perception.
This is where the damned if you do damned if you don't thing plays out. Assuming you're black.; I am black and wasn't triggered by it.

in other countries i the attitude is completely different.

i never understood why people were mad at adele, but now i see it might be a cultural disconnect.
I follow UK news and music blogs, and have family over there. There was defiantly a split in opinion among black Brits

I think if the Windrush scandal had not have been happening, the blowback would be less. I mean some people would have still clowned her though.

You basically have the government trying to deport people that immigrated from the West Indies (mostly Jamaica) legally, and you have this icon of British culture wanting to "celebrate" West Indian culture, but not saying anything about the government trying to rip that part of British culture

So it was underlying tensions pissing a lot of people off too.

in other countries i the attitude is completely different.

i never understood why people were mad at adele, but now i see it might be a cultural disconnect.

People pretty much don’t rock with it here but for some reason you can go into a truck stop and come out decked out head to toe in Native American regalia and they might not like it but for some reason it’s always sold in truck stops.

Like corny costume fake crap.

1724370670887-png.3284346

is this delks white queen?

I follow UK news and music blogs.

I think if the Windrush scandal had not have been happening, the blowback would be less. I mean some people would have still clowned her though.

You basically have the government trying to deport people that immigrated from the West Indies (mostly Jamaica) legally, and you have this icon of British culture wanting to "celebrate" West Indian culture, but not saying anything about the government trying to rip that part of British culture

So it was underlying tensions pissing a lot of people off too.

my memory of this could be wrong, but it felt to me like most of the criticism was coming from americans.

Didn’t like the kente cloth being worn for that photo op either. Didn’t know it was an ask from the old heads though.

my memory of this could be wrong, but it felt to me like most of the criticism was coming from americans.

Growing up in LA (80s and 90s) everyone rocked everyone else’s stuff.

The new gens call everything cultural appropriation.

I think people started getting mad when white people (celebs) started making money off of it 😆

is anyone tracking TayTay's private jet? Taylor to Chicago might be bigger than Shohei to Toronto...

The only thing bigger than the Trump Cult is the TSwift Cult.

Cant wait for Taylor the Childless Cat Lady to hit the Don and MAGA with…
IMG_0865.gif

The song Miss Americana is about the 2016 Dem Election loss (high school metaphor). She def dislikes the don.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree.

Just saying black brits, that are mostly children of West Indian and African immigrants were not universally ok with it either.

For African American, makes sense why many would fall on the pissed off side of things given the dynamics in America

White America deride parts of black culture, only really engage with it when they think it is cool or profitable, and will distance themselves from the same things once it is no longer useful to them. And when there is money to be made, black people often can't always extract the full value of their contributions. And this has been going on for generations.

So yeah, I think those conditions foster an environment were people more suspicious and less tolerant the so called "cultural appreciation"

I like to use the Miley Cyrus example. Sweet Disney kid that turned party girl for marketing purposes. The edgy stuff she was doing was making music with hip hop artist and acting like she was really into black men and doing drugs. Then she needed a new gimmick so she was back to more pop and country, away from the dangerous blacks that was a bad influence, with a white man, making music with white people.

I understand why people are cynical.

That sort of stuff doesn't happen to African immigrants and West Indians on the same level from what I have seen.

i know this is a joke, but it actually would be a huge get for Kamala of Umar endorsed her. :lol:
I could just imagine the dumb **** he would say to Kamala

"Sista I want to support you, but you have to drop the snow puppy"
"Sista I want to support you, but you have to drop the snow puppy"
'Sista I want to support you, but you have to drop the snow puppy"

on the topic of cultural clothing...

I could be wrong about this but it feels like wearing clothes of different cultures is much more taboo in America than it is in other countries.
like Nigerians love it when non Nigerians rock african clothes.

but for example i feel like americans always make fun of Adele for that Jamaican fit she wore once,

1724370670887.png

meanwhile in Toronto,
this is what the Mayor wore during Caribana. and everyone loved it.

1724370371982.png

am i wrong about this perception?
Idk to me it also just seems like wearing other cultures' traditional clothing is more common in the US. I don't really see that much over here.
I probably wouldn't wear something explicitly belonging to another culture (like what Dr Umar wears) but I do take inspiration. I like Missoni shirts/t-shirts and I've heard a few times from random people that it reminded them of African prints, specifically Nigerian. Just out on the street or on the bus/tram, so idk if they meant it as like a compliment or a negative inquiry.

Back
Top Bottom