***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Also: we used to define intelligence by critical thinking and analytical skills, not just what you were able to read and comprehend. What we see these days is a complete lack of critical thinking or ability to analyze policy outcomes, policy proposals… no matter how basic.

I tend to label people who ignore facts and refuse to think critically just to defend awful perspectives as low intelligence. If you can’t differentiate fact from fiction how intelligent is someone?

all about the lens in which you "view" information through, ive got alumni in my fraternity with whole Phds in physics, lawyers, all types of professionals that have absolutely garbage political takes because they actively lean into where their biases are fed the most.

and id argue there are plenty of intelligent folks voting for Harris/Dems that are making the right choice, not because theyre more informed but because its simply where their biases pulled them.

Last edited:
I love all my homies who spent their 20s and 30's traveling around the world telling me states wasn't it blah blah blah, now gonna vote for Trump because they don't have any opportunities :emoji_rolling_eyes:

all about the lens in which you "view" information through, ive got alumni in my fraternity with whole Phds in physics, lawyers, all types of professionals that have absolutely garbage political takes because they actively lean into where their biases are fed the most.

and id argue there are plenty of intelligent folks voting for Harris/Dems that are making the right choice, not because theyre more informed but because its simply where their biases pulled them.
I think a good way of describing well educated people who lean into their biases and defend them even when they’re factually baseless is “disingenuous”. They know it’s not true but it doesn’t matter. And yep, that exists across the political spectrum but one party’s figurehead for the past 8 years has weaponized this terrible way of interacting with both information and other human beings.

Isn't weed already legal?

I understand theres a difference between decriminalization and legality but people don't seriously get arrested anymore do they? This combined with the fact that delta 9 is weed we can all stop pretending......
Just Depends where you are…In a place like Texas, it’s not taken too seriously until you run into the wrong folks in law enforcement

When the Ravens played the the cowboys I was down there with alotta of ppl from Baltimore (where it’s totally legal), and the locals we was with had to tell us to be more low key with the weed cuz you never know who watching or what cop you might run into to still ruin your day over that

The president of Mexico is now Jewish! But that doesn't count since she's not a raging zionist. You want people to hate jews but they don't. The whole "antisemitism is off-the-charts" didn't start until 10/7 and has nothing to do with anything besides providing cover for any anti-israel views.

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, but I don't think this is true

Antisemitic sentiment started to see an increase as soon as Trump entered the picture

There was a wave of bomb threats that targeted Jewish community centers, they chanted "Jews will not replace us" at the Unite the Right rally, Jewish cemeteries were desecrated in Missouri and Pennsylvania, and this was all in 2017...Kanye and Kyrie exposed a ton of new people to hateful ideas in 2022

Even here on NT, posts alluding to antisemitic conspiracy theories seemed to pop up more frequently after Trump

“You know now a murder, I believe this, it’s in their genes. And we got a lot of bad genes in our country right now.”

“Illegal immigration is poisoning the blood of our nation.”

“I will Veto the Defense Authorization Bill if the Elizabeth ‘Pocahontas’ Warren (of all people!) Amendment, which will lead to the renaming (plus other bad things!) of Fort Bragg, Fort Robert E. Lee, and many other Military Bases from which we won Two World Wars, is in the Bill!”

“NYC is cutting Police $’s by ONE BILLION DOLLARS, and yet the @NYCMayor is going to paint a big, expensive, yellow Black Lives Matter sign on Fifth Avenue, denigrating this luxury Avenue”

“when the looting starts, the shooting starts.”

“Our whole country will end up being like Detroit if she’s your president.”

longform-original-1467-1448332865-3.png

“Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on.”

“A well-educated black has a tremendous advantage over a well-educated white in terms of the job market. And, I think, sometimes a black may think that they don’t really have the advantage or this or that but in actuality today, currently, it’s, uh, it’s a, it’s a great.”

“You’re living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs,58% of your youth is unemployed – what the hell do you have to lose?”

“I like that he tells it like it is!”

“Part of it makes me think that, well, you just aren’t feeling the idea of having a woman as president, and you’re coming up with other alternatives and other reasons for that.”

“Well, you’re never going to get votes with that attitude!”

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

I understand theres a difference between decriminalization and legality but people don't seriously get arrested anymore do they? This combined with the fact that delta 9 is weed we can all stop pretending......
Weed isn’t legal federally and in the Deep South you can absolutely go to jail.

Also in states where it’s legal you can still catch a charge for having weed and a gun even if you’re not high because it’s still illegal federally.

Last edited:
It is irrational to believe in god, but it's still possible to appeal to religious voters.
The democratic basket of policies contains some items that religious people value, and others they don't.

Someone who ranks abortion restriction over better access to childcare is more likely to vote based on the abortion policy of the party. You can present your logical case on why abortion restriction is a bad idea, but that logic will run into the obstacle of their religious principles. The only thing that changes this outcome is either them rearranging their priorities, and that is independent of Dem messaging, or Dems dropping support for pro-choice policies.

We're seeing this exact scenario with Gaza.

believing that the democratic party is not particularly concerned with the issues men face,
doesn't mean you automatically think all women need to go back in the kitchen.
That is only true if men go from Dem voters to non-voters.

What it looks like instead, is a lot of these men are switching from Dem to Rep voters, and it's happening while the republican party altered their messaging to explicitly support the kind of men's rights activists who want to cancel no fault divorce, restrict abortion, eliminate contraceptives, etc... How is that not an attempt to send women back to the kitchen?

And can we put to bed this idea that Democrats are not concerned with the issues men face? When they campaign on medical policies, they mostly resonate with older folks. However, you don't see younger folks with chronic medical issues throw a tantrum because their name wasn't in the damn speech. They still benefit from those policies. We're benefiting from medical bills not putting us in financial jeopardy even though the catalyst for such laws came from more established folks losing their wealth as the result of aging and getting sicker.

It's tiring to have to entertain the nonsense.

The Biden administration has enacted policies that could disproportionately benefit young working-class men, like spending more than $1 trillion on building new infrastructure and incentives that have spurred a wave of investments in electric vehicle and semiconductor manufacturing. Harris has proposed a number of initiatives that could also improve the lives of these young men, like seed money for startup businesses and assistance with a down payment on a home, along with wider access to mental health care.

But those initiatives could be tempered by a sentiment researchers have heard among young male voters that they don’t feel seen or welcome on the left as Democrats have increasingly emphasized programs to help other groups, like women or members of the LGBTQ community.

At a Trump rally in Pennsylvania, Sam Lilly, an 18-year-old who is still in high school, said he is planning to vote for Trump in his first election as an eligible voter. He said one of the biggest financial concerns for him is the price of gas. Gas prices have been averaging $3.34 a gallon, down from their high of $5.00 a gallon in June 2022 and $3.96 a year ago. Prior to the pandemic, gas was averaging around $2.60 a gallon.

“Gas is so expensive, it’s ridiculous. I drive a truck, so I only get 16 miles per gallon,” said Lilly, who currently works at a restaurant and who would ultimately like to work in welding or as an auto mechanic.

I think those men issues are cultural. An 18-year old restaurant worker has no business driving an expensive vehicle. It's just not sensible.

I think she goes and uses her emotions more than her brain,” said Lilly. “I like how Trump is more of a business professional about it, and uses his brain to think and take on matters.”

Yeah, looks like they don't feel welcome in the Democratic party because they'd get called out for that kind of language. I suppose that's what is meant by "culturally feminine."

It's always funny to hear men talking about women being too emotional. I suppose if you don't count anger as an emotion, then maybe they'd have a point. You could make a case that men are just as emotional, if not more so, when you factor in anger.

This is what kills me about that 18 year old young man saying that. Did he even watch a clip from the debate? It was so incredibly easy to trigger Trump and throw him off his game for the rest of the debate with an obvious troll comment tacked on the end of a response. Dude regularly loses his **** at the slightest prodding. If anyone thinks he "uses his brain" and logically solves problems they aren't being intellectually honest.

It's what most people in this thread have already said in their own words. This conclusion is not being come to in a reasonable way. It's just the same old sexist nonsense, and I don't believe Dem messaging should be tailored to appease that.

This is like abortion. It might be legal if you live in a liberal state. But let’s say you live in Indiana. You can go to neighboring IL, MI and OH to legally buy it and then be arrested for felony possession for having a gram of herb back in IN. That nonsense needs to end.

Not to mention that removing it from schedule-1 also removes it from federal job drug testing mandates and also allows research to be done on it through federally funded studies. Currently it’s illegal to research marijauna/thc.

Back
Top Bottom