***Official Political Discussion Thread***

They're crazy in red states

http://trib.com/business/energy/bil...cle_fa25328e-aa4b-561f-9955-0995b9118e23.html

http://trib.com/business/energy/okl...cle_497511e6-da9a-56a2-b6f5-6103914c2618.html

Apparently the OK governor has decreed a day of prayer for oil and natural gas that they've observed ever since she got the governorship. The whole thing reads like an Onion article.

Fallin has issued similar proclamations since she took office in 2011, but beginning last year the proclamation was changed to apply only to Christians. It was requested on behalf of a group called the Oilfield Christian Fellowship.

The proclamation says, “Christians are invited to thank God for the blessings” created by the industry and to “seek His wisdom and ask for protection.” It also indicates that Christians believe oil and natural gas are “created by God.”

A recent study by The State Chamber, an association of Oklahoma businesses and industries, shows the state ranks fifth among states in oil and third in natural gas production and that about 27 percent of total state household earnings in the state are supported by the energy sector.

Despite the industry’s impact on Oklahoma’s economy, not everyone was pleased with Fallin’s proclamation. Bruce Prescott, a retired Norman minister who successfully sued to have a Ten Commandments monument removed from the Capitol grounds, said it’s not the governor’s responsibility to call anyone to prayer.

“That’s a minister’s responsibility,” Prescott said. “Another thing that’s an irritant on that one — there are a lot of things that could be prayed about in this state, and the oil field is not at the top of that list.”

Donald Trump cancels holiday visit to Smithsonian Museum of African American History and Culture 
https://t.co/RfaEcJJbx5

Where is Steve Harvey to make sense of this. :lol:

I was hoping Herman Cain would rise from the ashes and be Carson's HUD Secretary but Steven Harvey would be an excellent choice.

I would like to take this moment to thank the honorable dr. Benjamin Solomon Carson for teaching me some information about the Egyptian pyramids that my education never taught me.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...pyramids-were-grain-stores-not-pharoahs-tombs
 Egypt’s pyramids were built by the biblical Joseph to store grain and were not, as archaeologists believe, tombs for pharaohs, Republican presidential hopeful Ben Carson  has said.

The retired neurosurgeon, who is seeking his party’s nomination for the White House, made these remarks in a 1998 address at Andrews University, a Michigan school associated with the Seventh-day Adventist Church, to which he belongs, in a video posted on Rico's favorite website Buzzfeed  on Wednesday.

The church is a conservative evangelical Christian one.

“My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain,” Carson – who last week overtook Republican rival Donald Trump for the first time  in a national poll – told graduates in his address.

“Now all the archeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs’ graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big if you stop and think about it.

“And I don’t think it’d just disappear over the course of time to store that much grain.”

Asked on Wednesday if he still held these views, Carson told CBS News: “It’s still my belief, yes.”

Speaking to MSNBC’s Morning Joe on Thursday, rival Republican Trump said: “He’s informed me about the pyramids. I think I’ll have to put that in my repertoire about Ben. That was a strange deal.”

In his 1998 address, Carson said: “And when you look at the way that the pyramids are made, with many chambers that are hermetically sealed, they’d have to be that way for various reasons.

“And various of scientists have said, ‘Well, you know there were alien beings that came down and they have special knowledge and that’s how, you know, it doesn’t require an alien being when God is with you’.”

Ben Carson was one of my heroes at one time :smh:

Since Obama started to shine, dude lost his goddman mind. It is also like he felt he need to be outchea counteracting Obama's liberalism.

On some Ben x Hood type steeez

Last edited:
It just makes no sense to nominate dr. Carson for HUD instead of surgeon general 
mean.gif

In other news, the party of small government is back at it:

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/10/her...endants-to-monitor-trans-inclusive-restrooms/

Full text of the bill here: https://trackbill.com/bill/al-sb1-c...rivacy-act-established/1312569/#/details=true

The bathroom police are coming.

In February Alabama is set to debate Senate Bill 1, also known as the Alabama Privacy Act. The legislation, which was prefiled by state Sen. Phil Williams in May, stipulates that restroom attendants must be present to monitor all mixed-gender facilities, including gender-neutral bathrooms. According to the bill, such staffers would be on hand to ensure the “appropriate use of the rest room,” as well as to “answer any questions or concerns posed by users.”

SB1 is yet another one of numerous bathroom bills targeting the transgender community that have been pushed by Republican legislators over the past year, most of which have failed. The Human Rights Campaign reported that more than 200 pieces of anti-LGBT legislation were debated at the state and local levels in 2016.

But in many ways, this bill goes further than previous efforts. House Bill 2, extremely unpopular legislation forced through North Carolina’s General Assembly in April, lacks any kind of enforcement provision. Although the legislation bars trans people from using public facilities that correspond with their gender identity, HB 2 does not outline who is responsible for upholding it. Many conservatives who pushed the bill believed that a violation of the statute would result in a criminal penalty for trespassing, while others have claimed that it wouldn’t be enforced at all.

Williams claimed in a statement that SB1 is designed as a response to Target, which announced last year that it would allow trans people to use bathrooms that match their gender identity in its stores. After backlash from conservative groups, including a boycott from the American Family Association, Target announced it would roll out gender-neutral facilities in all of its 1,800 locations.

The state senator wrote that the retailer’s policy violates other customers’ “right to privacy and right to feel secure.”

“As I write this a big-box retailer with multiple outlets in this state has made the self-determined decision to make all of their multi-stall restrooms unisex with a complete disregard for long standing law and tradition,” Williams wrote. “More egregiously, this decision was made with a complete disregard for the privacy and security concerns of the vast number of their customers. In essence, Target has thrown out the rule in favor of the exception.”

Williams added that businesses that persist in offering gender-neutral facilities will “provide [attendants] at their own expense.” He wrote, “In short, if you are going to play that game you need to ante up and face the issue.”

While the state senator is confident the bill will pass, Chase Strangio, the staff attorney for the LGBT and HIV Project at the American Civil Liberties Union, isn’t so sure.

(see link for rest of article)

And the Obama administration has expanded the NSA's power on their way out :smh:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/...tude-to-share-intercepted-communications.html

First off, no Obama didn't really extend the NSA's power. Second, famb, with all dude respect because I know you ain't Ninja, did you read all of the article?

After Congress enacted the FISA Amendments Act — which legalized warrantless surveillance on domestic soil so long as the target is a foreigner abroad, even when the target is communicating with an American — the court permitted raw sharing of emails acquired under that program, too.

In July 2008, the same month Congress passed the FISA Amendments Act, President George W. Bush modified Executive Order 12333, which sets rules for surveillance that domestic wiretapping statutes do not address, including techniques that vacuum up vast amounts of content without targeting anybody.

After the revision, Executive Order 12333 said the N.S.A. could share the raw fruits of such surveillance after the director of national intelligence and the attorney general, coordinating with the defense secretary, agreed on procedures. It took another eight years to develop those rules.

The Times first reported the existence of those deliberations in 2014 and later filed a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit for documents about them. It ended that case last February, and Mr. Litt discussed the efforts in an interview at that time, but declined to divulge certain important details because the rules were not yet final or public.

Then read this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/01/obama-expanding-nsa-powers/513041/

So I ask, would you rather Obama's people making these rules, or Trump's? Because this move was 8 years in the making, coming from the Bush Era.

Last edited:
First off, no Obama didn't really extend the NSA's power. Second, famb, with all dude respect because I know you ain't Ninja, did you read all of the article?

Then read this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/01/obama-expanding-nsa-powers/513041/

So I ask, would you rather Obama's people making these rules, or Trump's? Because this move was 8 years in the making, coming from the Bush Era.

I did read the whole article. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but the NY Times article paints a different picture than the Atlantic article.
The Atlantic explains this move a lot better. If I understand correctly now it wouldn't classify as an expansion of the NSA's power but rather an expansion of who can use the NSA's data collection, signing a rule into law that dates back from the Bush era.
There are strict guidelines in place for that, but I don't have much faith in the NSA and other intelligence agencies handling that data according to the proper guidelines which limited my view on this issue. I also did not consider how the Trump administration would handle this, which would likely decrease privacy regulations, increase the NSA's data collection powers or maybe even both. So this is actually a pretty good move by the Obama administration considering the next administration would act on it if they didn't.
In short, I did not examine the article and other sources properly and drew a conclusion based on my distrust of the NSA rather than the data at hand.

Edit: Also thanks for pointing that out. I can have the occasional lapse in judgement that I would not have caught and corrected otherwise.
And for whatever reason my response disappeared, I'll check back after dinner
Edit #2: Seems there was a problem with draft saving, response should be back now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom