***Official Political Discussion Thread***

He hears something on Fox News, then comes in here and parrots it. Never once does it hit him that maybe he should verify the into via Google.

NinjaHood aka Kevin Joe Conway

Quote:

1. Have you watched the confirmation hearings for Betsy Devos?

1.1: Do you believe she displayed adequate competence for the job in her hearings?

2. Describe how a completely incompetent secretary of education benefits America, particularly the public school system

3. Do you see the crippling of (public) education under an incompetent secretary, affecting students on all sides of the political spectrum, as something to gloat about because leftist students are part of the affected?
Wonder if NH will answer a single question here...

"It doesn't matter, da hemi coming back, da oil coffers are going to give back to the American people, da rust belt be jumpin, murrica"

Honestly though, who do you all blame for DeVos getting confirmed?

The spineless GOP of course.

Everyone who voted for her. She should've been denied on the spot when she failed to answer senator Franken's question about proficiency vs. growth. That's just one example, at no point throughout the hearing did she display adequate competency.
If this was a regular job and she failed to answer a question regarding basic knowledge for the job the interviewer would've shown her the door immediately.

The GOP played the "He's qualified" card for Sessions, but then does a 180 and confirms DeVos.

While I agree, the blame is still short-sighted. This country has been failing in education for decades, and in the 80's if I'm not mistaken, they start standardized testing. They've been doing this testing for years and you don't really see the results because the tests are usually as waste of time. Now, turning to money for schools, schools get the money and the teachers union fights for it as well as the administration paying themselves nice salaries and mismanaging funds.

This didn't just happen overnight. Miseducation has been a long game and it paid off as it does time and time again.

-I do agree we test our kids to death, but I don't think that it the main problem. The testing is so bad because of the burden it puts on teachers. Many don't have time to worry about educating kids, their main concern is drilling them so they can pass a test. But yeah, ease up on testing.

-We have to remember there is a lot of inequality in the American school system, and that it is structural (driven a lot by racism). Hell the way we fund schools at a local level reinforces it.

School system in affluent white neighborhoods in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Maryland are amazing. If every student had school like those we would be in a much better position worldwide. American school are not uniformly bad, in many ways it just reflects our overall socioeconomic system.

But even if we tax better, redistribute the resources and students better, and test less, we would still need to throw a ton of money at the problem.

Last edited:
-I do agree we test our kids to death, but I don't think that it the main problem. The testing is so bad because of the burden it puts on teachers. Many don't have time to worry about educating kids, their main concern is drilling them so they can pass a test. But yeah, ease up on testing.

-We have to remember there is a lot of inequality in the American school system, and that it is structural (driven a lot by racism). Hell the way we fund schools at a local level reinforces it.

School system in affluent white neighborhoods in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Maryland are amazing. If every student had school like those we would be in a much better position worldwide. American school are not uniformly bad, in many ways it just reflects our overall socioeconomic system.

But even if we tax better, redistribute the resources and students better, and test less, we would still need to throw a ton of money at the problem.

I can agree it's definitely a socioeconomic issue and the foundation is rooted in racism w/o a doubt.

I'm not saying stop giving money, but we have to start locally getting people in charge of the schools that will put the children first. Many of these administrations are a joke and there are too many school districts because people don't wanna give up power. Most school districts know they can raise taxes when they fudge the money so there's no incentive to even do things right.

I'm sick and tired of poor whites thinking that their fight is any different than other poor people and minorities, ****'s been going on since Bacon's Rebellion.

We have to change our curriculums as well which is another issue in itself.

The Alaska *** in the education committee who voted FOR DeVos on the basis that "she wanted to give the full senate the ability to decide her fate" when she could have stopped her then and there. And the worst part about it is that she clearly expressed doubts about DeVos' qualifications for the job during the ******* hearing.

Democrats defending 10 seats in deep red states 2018..good luck on that :lol:

da feels in here..... mmmmm mmmm mmmmm.
1.1: Do you believe she displayed adequate competence for the job in her hearings?
2. Describe how a completely incompetent secretary of education benefits America, particularly the public school system
3. Do you see the crippling of (public) education under an incompetent secretary, affecting students on all sides of the political spectrum, as something to gloat about because leftist students are part of the affected?

if Trump's Cabinet was da Wu-Tang, ol' girl is definitely u-god...

da 1st choice was Eva Moskowitz from success academy.

Our only hope is that Republicans stirs up so much outrage that Democrats take back the majority in two years

Stop making **** up.

There a 5 in deep red states (Montana, North Dakota, West Virginia, Montana, Missouri) . 5 others in States Trump won (Ohio, Florida, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan)

now ur being petty over semantics :lol:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/306210-10-senate-seats-that-could-flip-in-2018

Dems is screwed 2018..ur spinning ain't gonna hide that fact. now stay mad [emoji]128579[/emoji]

I can agree it's definitely a socioeconomic issue and the foundation is rooted in racism w/o a doubt.

I'm not saying stop giving money, but we have to start locally getting people in charge of the schools that will put the children first. Many of these administrations are a joke and there are too many school districts because people don't wanna give up power. Most school districts know they can raise taxes when they fudge the money so there's no incentive to even do things right.

I'm sick and tired of poor whites thinking that their fight is any different than other poor people and minorities, ****'s been going on since Bacon's Rebellion.

I feel you famb. There is so much to be done with reforming our education system it is kinda ridiculous.

But I think you touched on an important point. We have to remember that poor/conservative/southern whites used to value well funded public school at one time. What changed?

The fact that the courts said you have to integrate the schools. These fools were so against their child going to school with black kids that they tried to tank the whole god damb system. Even most of America's best school systems are segregated to hell.

Last edited:
I feel you famb. There is so much to be done with reforming our education system it is kinda ridiculous.

But I think you touched on an important point. We have to remember that poor/conservative/southern whites used to value well funded public school at one time. What changed?

The fact that the courts said you have to integrate the schools. These fools were so against their child going to school with black kids that they tried to tank the whole god damb system. Even most of America's best school systems are segregated to hell.

Ding ding ding.....

They refuse to acknowledge this though......

Straight up. The school district my daughter is in suspends black and latino children at a higher rate than white children for the same "offense" Also, this school district wasn't even integrated until 1983 when it was formed, 29yrs after Brown v.

if Trump's Cabinet was da Wu-Tang, ol' girl is definitely u-god...

da 1st choice was Eva Moskowitz from success academy.

Our only hope is that Republicans stirs up so much outrage that Democrats take back the majority in two years

Stop making **** up.

There a 5 in deep red states (Montana, North Dakota, West Virginia, Montana, Missouri) . 5 others in States Trump won (Ohio, Florida, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan)

now ur being petty over semantics :lol:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/306210-10-senate-seats-that-could-flip-in-2018

Dems is screwed 2018..ur spinning ain't gonna hide that fact. now stay mad [emoji]128579[/emoji]

I'm not being petty over semantics. You clearly said something that is false.

And why link that hill article. I clearly now more about the situation that you.

You didn't even know the states up for grabs in 2018....ur spinning ain't gonna hide that fact. now stay ignorant

I've always wondered this about the US education system. I often see people talking about getting A's consistently throughout highschool (7th to 12th grade is what we call highschool here). If turned into percentages, that's about 90% and up right?

I've shortly summarized our highschool education in here once or twice who were interested, but if anyone remembers our grading system is different in several ways. We only use numerical grading; 0-10 on standard tests, 0/70 on exams and 0%-100% for the total grades of a class on report cards.

An average year total of all classes is generally ~75% throughout most grades in highschool. In the 7th and 8th grade you still see year totals above 85% or in rare cases, a 90-92%.

The 9th grade is where you specialize in a certain field of study and the year totals drop significantly.

Above 70% is average. 75-80% is good and 80% is great/exceptional. An 85%+ year total is near unheard of past the 9th grade. Even the very gifted students in my school who were placing top 3 in national math competitions or playing in national chess championships averaged about 80-83% on their year totals. One of them is now an astrophysicist for example.

Our year totals are graded on a 0-100% scale and consist of 2 categories, not sure how to word it. 30% of your year total is made up of your grade average on all small tests.

The remaining 70% is the average year total of all your exams. Each school year has 3 exam periods.

So if you slack on your small tests but do well on your exams, you can still have a decent year total.

When I see Americans talking about getting 90% or higher on their highschool report cards I can't help but wonder if there is some change in the calculation, much higher standards of working hard for school or a significantly lower difficulty.

Edit: It is also relatively common for students to have to double a year in highschool. In many cases if your year total for a class is lower than 50% you're given an extra exam in the summer vacation, which is then added to your year total. If the total then exceeds 50% you pass. If not, you have to double your year. I knew at least 7 people in my year who had to double the 12th grade.

Last edited:
“In retrospect, I should have, this is all on me by the way, delayed it just a bit so I could have talked to members of Congress, particularly the leadership of committees like this, to prepare them for what was coming,” Kelly testified at a House Homeland Security Committee hearing on Tuesday.

Amateurs.

Catherynne ValenteVerified account @catvalente 53m53 minutes ago

Oh, and by the way, next time you tell someone what a good man McCain is, remember that he spoke against #DeVos and voted for her anyway.

Slate@Slate 4m4 minutes ago
A smug congressman challenged CNN to name a white terrorist. Here are 40 of them: http://slate.me/2jZw0av

ThinkProgressVerified account @thinkprogress 15m15 minutes ago
The senators who opposed DeVos represent 36 million more people than her supporters do http://thkpr.gs/4705655a2bc7  pic.twitter.com/RMFbIPU7pe

C4FcDaqW8AAzVS9.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...riffs-group/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.7e887eb7649f

"The country’s murder rate is not the highest it’s been in 40 years. It is almost at its lowest point, actually, according to the FBI, which gathers up statistics every year from police departments around the country."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom