***Official Political Discussion Thread***

The argument was that many tenants don't have the resources to fight in court, which leads to them getting evicted and becoming homeless. I don't know the ins and outs as I don't really know how the legal system works in those cases, but I can say that it's not a fair fight if you're going up against a big company. And regardless of whether it's a fair fight, in general it's a burden on the city when you increase homelessness, not to mention the plight of the homeless family themselves.

I remember in parking ticket court, some people had fines of >$500 because they hadn't been on time for a $25 ticket and it just built up over time with fees. In all cases the judge made them pay only the original fine. Many times, though, people get screwed in these cases if they get the wrong judge. Those with resources can pay it and carry on with their day. Those barely making it though are more forced into a terrible situation over a miniscule infraction.

Anyway, I think it's important for the government not just to enforce the law but to be wary of the consequences in these cases, especially when it's not a case of violent crime, etc. I get the feeling many conservatives don't agree with me on this, either on principle or because in their affluent community they just never encounter a mom in the city who's about to lose everything because of a parking fine or a bad landlord.

I agree generally. But I don't think it is "fair" for you not to pay your rent and expect to remain in possession of your apartment.

"alleged money launderer"

"Trump's campaign team invited a Russian money launderer"

talk about consistency...

I'm having a civil conversation. You, and others, are the ones that aren't. You are name calling and the like. This isn't about a safe space, whatsoever. You can post whatever you want. I was simply stating that this snark is what caused Trump to win. And ignoring the other side, and the things that mattered to them, is something I'm sure the DNC regrets.

The RNC has ignored the lower/middle class and minorities for ages! Your argument falls flat! It is wholeheartedly racism/sexism at the root of why a guy like Trump won!!! Get your head out of your a** slim.... SMH

Local politics certainly has a more direct impact typically. I think City workers should live in the city they work for. Not sure about the legal support to tenants.
Well, they should start with a livable wage for city employees, then. Most city employees can barely afford to live in the city they serve. At least that's the case in NYC.

It really is a case by case situation.

Well, they should start with a livable wage for city employees, then. Most city employees can barely afford to live in the city they serve. At least that's the case in NYC.

It really is a case by case situation.

This is interesting. What should the living wage be based on? Should it be based on a single person only supporting themselves? Or should one living wage be sufficient to support a family of 4, or 6?

The real focus should be on bringing down real estate prices, as normal middle class citizens have been priced out of a good portion of the city. The price of real estate in New York is also directly making the city's homelessness population rise. The irony that there are tons of luxury apartments sitting on the market that can't be sold, while people literally starve in the streets. And there's more luxury high rises going up in Long Island City along with a bunch of other neighborhoods.

The irony of it all is it's blatantly obvious what the issue is and what needs to be done to help remedy it, New York is just more about the tourism population than middle class residents.

At the very least, a one person household working full time for the city should be able to afford at the very least a studio apartment. Studio apartments in the city generally go for 1500+ (and that's being generous).

Sessions Just Made It Easier for Police to Seize People's Assets, Even Without Indictments or Evidence
DFCM1kBXUAAc_F0.jpg

I don't know if NYC has this but certain counties have programs for city workers where a certain amount of rentals, homes from new builders etc have to be made affordable.

I don't know if NYC has this but certain counties have programs for city workers where a certain amount of rentals, homes from new builders etc have to be made affordable.
Yeah, there are designated units, the problem is EVERYONE needs one, so there are lotteries. There are literally lotteries for 80% AMI (Annual Median Income). Lottery studios for $1600/month. So while a portion of those units are reasonably (by New York City standards) priced, there are more people that affordable units in the city.

I thought the Trump voters would love the non-existence of political correctness. They sure seem to complain about it a lot. So I then ask myself, why do these people need a safe space to protect them from those nasty mean liberals? Why are they "afraid to voice their Trump support" in public? Why do they have no other option than to vote for Trump because those nasty liberals made some mean comments? Surely they can make their own decisions without a liberal telling them what to do.
Isn't that what they want with the relentless whining about political correctness? As I understand it, many of these same people seem to need safe spaces to protect them from unpolitically correct comments from liberals. After Trump won, fellow NT'er Ninjahood said he was glad to see political correctness relegated to the dustbin of history. Is this not what they have bargained for then?

Personally I think civilized dialogue between opposing political spectrums is a good thing and even necessary but certain basic standards of debate should be met.
If a conservative thinks (systemic) racism doesn't exist, approves of racism, supports stripping basic civil rights from the LGBT community, ... then I do not see any point in engaging in a discussion. It is futile. We have had numerous such conservatives in here and we did try discussing with them but they inevitably got themselves banned racist or other extremely bigoted remarks. One of them turned out to be a nazi apologist actually. In another example, we tried discussing systemic racism with a Trump supporter who believed there is no such thing. He ignored all scientific studies, simply diminishing them as "liberal propaganda"
At some point I had linked to official FBI statistics straight from the FBI and apparantly that was liberal propaganda too.

As for Ninjahood, who obviously is still here despite lord knows how many diet racist/bigoted remarks, the guy is simply incapable of admitting wrong. Literally. To illustrate just one example of countless others, he once equated 50% of Trump supporters to 50% of the US population, which is obviously mathematically impossible.
This was then pointed out to him several times. The first time he deflected with something else if I recall correctly. The error was then explicitly pointed out again, explaining how that equation would be impossible, and he responded "what u talking about?" and then ignored any further comments. The point here is not his math skills, it's the inability to ever admit to being wrong. That is why arguing with Ninja is pretty much arguing with a brick wall. Because he could say 1+1=3 and he'll jump through some mental gymnastics to say he's actually right or deflect, no matter how obvious the fault. In fact, to my knowledge he has never admitted being wrong on anything. Ever. Since him being wrong about something happens quite often, arguments lead nowhere. If cornered, he will simply deflect with some good old whataboutism. Either that or he'll say "but I was right about the election so..." as if being right on one thing grants someone supreme wisdom and authority on any and all topics. For the record I could make the same claim as I said Trump could win in early 2016 and maintained that stance because I believed that ignorance should never be underestimated. Does that make me right about everything? That would be utterly ridiculous. I've been wrong plenty of times and I appreciate when that is pointed out so I can correct and learn from it.

A critical element of the learning process is knowing when you're wrong, being able to admit you're wrong and the most important of all: learning from being wrong. Arguing with someone like Ninjahood who never engages in any of these elements is therefore futile and is better off ignored.

Again, I would like to stress that dialogue and productive discussion with opposing views should be encouraged and is necessary. Personally I would like more conservatives in this thread, though not of the Ninjahood variety. I could get along fairly well with Rico x Hood for example despite us disagreeing on just about everything. I also do not believe all conservatives are in that Ninjahood category, though the sheer number of regular conservative posters in this thread that have subsequently been permbanned for racism, nazi apologism, ... doesn't exactly leave a good impression.
It just seems like the thread has mostly attracted conservatives of the rotten apple variety judging by most of the former regulars being permbanned.

In short, dialogue between opposing views is a necessity that should be encouraged but effort has to come from 2 sides. If one does not adhere to basic standards of debate and engages in whataboutism ad infinitum to avoid and distort any real discussion, refuses to acknowledge science, refuses to concede to being wrong, just throws one logical fallacy after the other, ... then surely it is not worth the effort to engage in further discussion as it will make none wiser and result in circular arguments or stalemates.

That is why many have blocked Ninjahood, because he has no respect for basic principles of debate. There is nothing to gain from arguing with him. He will rarely ever give a direct answer to a question, if an answer at all. And whatever doesn't fit within his worldview or could be construed as criticism to Trump is met with relentless deflection, whataboutism, strawman arguments, ...

The real focus should be on bringing down real estate prices, as normal middle class citizens have been priced out of a good portion of the city. The price of real estate in New York is also directly making the city's homelessness population rise. The irony that there are tons of luxury apartments sitting on the market that can't be sold, while people literally starve in the streets. And there's more luxury high rises going up in Long Island City along with a bunch of other neighborhoods.

The irony of it all is it's blatantly obvious what the issue is and what needs to be done to help remedy it, New York is just more about the tourism population than middle class residents.

At the very least, a one person household working full time for the city should be able to afford at the very least a studio apartment. Studio apartments in the city generally go for 1500+ (and that's being generous).

I can agree on being able to get a studio. My issue with the living wage is typically when one salary should be enough to shelter/feed a family of 4. I don't think that is reasonable. Also, there are tons of places to live, outside of new York, that are way less expensive. I understand that relocating is not easy or inexpensive, but it is an option. Homelessness is a big issue. Not really an easy solution to it. The market, for the most part, determines real estate prices. They are building luxury apartments because there is a market for it.

Two GOP senators — Utah's Mike Lee and Jerry Moran of Kansas — sealed the doom of McConnell's bill replacing much of Obama's law late Monday when they announced they would vote "no" in an initial, critical vote that had been expected as soon as next week. That meant that at least four of the 52 GOP senators were ready to block the measure — two more than Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., had to spare in the face of unanimous Democratic opposition.

Another Trump Failure.. going on 6 straight months of LOSING!
Where is Sammy Sosa to make sense of this L? Talking about health care bill will get the Russian Collusion story of front page news... WRONG!

I thought the Trump voters would love the non-existence of political correctness. They sure seem to complain about it a lot. So I then ask myself, why do these people need a safe space to protect them from those nasty mean liberals? Why are they "afraid to voice their Trump support" in public? Why do they have no other option than to vote for Trump because those nasty liberals made some mean comments? Surely they can make their own decisions without a liberal telling them what to do.
Isn't that what they want with the relentless whining about political correctness? As I understand it, many of these same people seem to need safe spaces to protect them from unpolitically correct comments from liberals. After Trump won, fellow NT'er Ninjahood said he was glad to see political correctness relegated to the dustbin of history. Is this not what they have bargained for then?

Personally I think civilized dialogue between opposing political spectrums is a good thing and even necessary but certain basic standards of debate should be met.
If a conservative thinks (systemic) racism doesn't exist, approves of racism, supports stripping basic civil rights from the LGBT community, ... then I do not see any point in engaging in a discussion. It is futile. We have had numerous such conservatives in here and we did try discussing with them but they inevitably got themselves banned racist or other extremely bigoted remarks. One of them turned out to be a nazi apologist actually. In another example, we tried discussing systemic racism with a Trump supporter who believed there is no such thing. He ignored all scientific studies, simply diminishing them as "liberal propaganda"
At some point I had linked to official FBI statistics straight from the FBI and apparantly that was liberal propaganda too.

As for Ninjahood, who obviously is still here despite lord knows how many diet racist/bigoted remarks, the guy is simply incapable of admitting wrong. Literally. To illustrate just one example of countless others, he once equated 50% of Trump supporters to 50% of the US population, which is obviously mathematically impossible.
This was then pointed out to him several times. The first time he deflected with something else if I recall correctly. The error was then explicitly pointed out again, explaining how that equation would be impossible, and he responded "what u talking about?" and then ignored any further comments. The point here is not his math skills, it's the inability to ever admit to being wrong. That is why arguing with Ninja is pretty much arguing with a brick wall. Because he could say 1+1=3 and he'll jump through some mental gymnastics to say he's actually right or deflect, no matter how obvious the fault. In fact, to my knowledge he has never admitted being wrong on anything. Ever. Since him being wrong about something happens quite often, arguments lead nowhere. If cornered, he will simply deflect with some good old whataboutism. Either that or he'll say "but I was right about the election so..." as if being right on one thing grants someone supreme wisdom and authority on any and all topics. For the record I could make the same claim as I said Trump could win in early 2016 and maintained that stance because I believed that ignorance should never be underestimated. Does that make me right about everything? That would be utterly ridiculous. I've been wrong plenty of times and I appreciate when that is pointed out so I can correct and learn from it.

A critical element of the learning process is knowing when you're wrong, being able to admit you're wrong and the most important of all: learning from being wrong. Arguing with someone like Ninjahood who never engages in any of these elements is therefore futile and is better off ignored.

Again, I would like to stress that dialogue and productive discussion with opposing views should be encouraged and is necessary. Personally I would like more conservatives in this thread, though not of the Ninjahood variety. I could get along fairly well with Rico x Hood for example despite us disagreeing on just about everything. I also do not believe all conservatives are in that Ninjahood category, though the sheer number of regular conservative posters in this thread that have subsequently been permbanned for racism, nazi apologism, ... doesn't exactly leave a good impression.
It just seems like the thread has mostly attracted conservatives of the rotten apple variety judging by most of the former regulars being permbanned.

In short, dialogue between opposing views is a necessity that should be encouraged but effort has to come from 2 sides. If one does not adhere to basic standards of debate and engages in whataboutism ad infinitum to avoid and distort any real discussion, refuses to acknowledge science, refuses to concede to being wrong, just throws one logical fallacy after the other, ... then surely it is not worth the effort to engage in further discussion as it will make none wiser and result in circular arguments or stalemates.

That is why many have blocked Ninjahood, because he has no respect for basic principles of debate. There is nothing to gain from arguing with him. He will rarely ever give a direct answer to a question, if an answer at all. And whatever doesn't fit within his worldview or could be construed as criticism to Trump is met with relentless deflection, whataboutism, strawman arguments, ...

This must have all happened before my time in the thread. I know you said Ninja made racist or bigoted comments and Im not sure if he is black, but I am pretty sure he is a minority. He was being racist against white people?

But this is what it seems to boil down to. You feel that, when presented with what you consider clear evidence, an opposing party should admit what has been established. If they don't, then there is no point in engaging or interacting with that.

Personally, I don't agree with you there. We can agree to disagree. But, I won't ignore or block you because we disagree. I actually learn a lot from differing opinions.

A few issues around this:

The fact that there are so many co-op condo buildings coming up that don't allow for renting means the housing supply is constrained. Rental buildings are few and far between due to most developers going for the luxury co-op route to pre-sale units to offset development costs.

Also, yes there are many units sitting empty both on the market and off the market as most units in Manhattan are being bought out by foreigners as a shelter for their money(esp. Asia with depreciating Yuan). I think once the economy takes the inevitable dip, these luxury units will tank in value the fastest. Already, commercial space is having serious trouble moving.

If the govt could offer some incentive for co-ops to convert or offer incentives for building rentals NYC would be in a much better position for affordable rent.

We also have to take into account that everyone wants to live here in an increasingly global economy, and people from middle America have been moving to major cities in droves.

This must have all happened before my time in the thread. I know you said Ninja made racist or bigoted comments and Im not sure if he is black, but I am pretty sure he is a minority. He was being racist against white people?

But this is what it seems to boil down to. You feel that, when presented with what you consider clear evidence, an opposing party should admit what has been established. If they don't, then there is no point in engaging or interacting with that.

Personally, I don't agree with you there. We can agree to disagree. But, I won't ignore or block you because we disagree. I actually learn a lot from differing opinions.
So you just say that if you don't like a fact, you can disagree with it? No. Thats not how life works. And if you disregard well established studies or theories as "propoganda" or "nonsense" then you're disagreeing with reality and committing the most egregious kind of intellectual dishonesty. There's no debating or rationalizing with that kind of stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom