***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Jesus Christ. What is going on?

Everything Steve Bannon and Daddy Pootin could ever hope for.

Resurgence and empowerment of a destabilizing force this time within the United States, comprised of a core of delusional, angry people unwavering in their support for their leader.

It's an armed, terroristic cult whose man God is the leader of the land. This is undoubtedly one of the most important times in American history. We're watching a quicky worsening situation in real time.

These people do not listen to reason and are ready to use violence to enforce their beliefs on Americans.

There will be a lot of blood spilled before this is over. There is no easy solution anymore. We're past the point of no return. These dudes out here doing military drills and amassing supplies waiting for that spark that sets everything off. It is going to be ugly.

People thought it couldn't and wouldn't happen here. Well here we are.

I had to read this 15 times before realizing it wasn't a post by aepps20 aepps20 .

The Coal Gang grows stronger every day! STRONGER EVERY DAY!

giphy.gif

We in here COMRADE. Libbies DON'T HAVE a clue about EXECUTIVE BRANCH of government. Don can do what he wants. He is OUR PRESIDENT and LIBBIES just need to accept the fact that there are many sides to issues and Don is FIXING EVERYTHING RIGHT down the middle with the proper MINDSET.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/17/opini...es-between-jihadis-and-kkk-sciutto/index.html

Some highlights.

The narrative that extreme right-wingers in the United States and jihadis in the Middle East share goes something like this: "They" are destroying our world and our culture; they are outsiders who don't belong here and are inferior to us, they are taking away our well-being and way of life, and humiliating us in the process; to make matters worse, they are protected by elites who don't represent us and in fact have disdain for us; and we are the sole defenders of the true (fill in the blank) America or Islam.
Those common themes are reflected in the similarity of the groups' mantras. While the KKK marchers chanted "You will not replace us" and "Blood and soil," the most popular nasheeds (or protest songs) of ISIS and other terror groups are riddled with talk of stolen land, blood and purity, and humiliation avenged. "We are going to battle them," begins one jihadi chant, "and return our usurped right."

More broadly, there are economic parallels between the groups that make them most vulnerable to such extremism: declining or nonexistent economic opportunity, unemployment, as well as dissatisfaction with and distrust of their leaders and public institutions. Such problems seemed uniquely Third World until similar trends have developed here in the United States.
For jihadis, religion, or rather their bastardized version of it, provides a useful veneer for this worldview. For the KKK and similar white extremists, "nationalism" -- though it is, in reality, simply repackaged racism and nativism -- does the same. And both are dangerous. A joint intelligence bulletin by the FBI and Department of Homeland Security, first reported by Foreign Policy and confirmed by CNN, found that white supremacist extremists were responsible for 49 homicides in 29 attacks from 2000 to 2016 -- more than any other domestic extremist movement.

When I met jihadis face to face, I was often surprised by how utterly unintimidating they were. Their viciousness results from a deep insecurity; it is in fact the antithesis of courage. And this weekend, I felt the same looking at the marchers in Charlottesville. Both their cause and their violent tactics are an expression of weakness. And, while they may not recognize it, they are exploited for their leaders' own political ends. The sons of terror leaders rarely end up as suicide bombers. I doubt the sons of KKK leaders end up on the front lines of their many acts of violence.

Jesus this dude is a such a lame. Graham spoke the truth on you because of an election? That he won? ****

he's made a fortune off of purveying 'identity politics'

speaking of identity politics...

Mark Lilla, Professor of the Humanities at Columbia University, joins us to discuss his new book, The Once and Future Liberal: After Identity Politics. He argues that despite Democratic president and policy achievements that have taken place over the past 40 years, the right's focus on small government, lower taxes and self-reliant individualism has remained the country’s dominant political ideology. Lilla suggests this is because American liberalism became obsessed with identity politics and fractured itself. He writes the left now has an opportunity to reset.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/how-left-fell-victim-identity-politics/

and you couple that with recent comments that Steven Bannon said in a recent interview:

Bannon … said in an interview that if Democrats want to fight over Confederate monuments and attack Mr. Trump as a bigot, that was a fight the president would win.“President Trump, by asking, ‘Where does this all end’ — Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln — connects with the American people about their history, culture and traditions,” he said.“The race-identity politics of the left wants to say it’s all racist,” Mr. Bannon added. “Just give me more. Tear down more statues. Say the revolution is coming. I can’t get enough of it.”

In the second interview, with the American Prospect, Bannon (supposedly believing himself to be off the record) elaborated a bit more on this general theme:

“The Democrats,” he said, “the longer they talk about identity politics, I got ’em. I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...acial-strife-is-a-political-winner-for-trump/

smells like Democrats playing right into da hands of what Trump & co want to do....

if this thread is a microcosm of that, they're definitely on to something.

I'd venture a guess that economic nationalism generally only works if there's actually a depressed economy. Trump can't play both sides, saying he's creating jobs and growth, and then talk out the other side of his mouth saying the economy's terrible and no one's working.

But you'd know nothing about logic.

speaking of identity politics...

Mark Lilla, Professor of the Humanities at Columbia University, joins us to discuss his new book, The Once and Future Liberal: After Identity Politics. He argues that despite Democratic president and policy achievements that have taken place over the past 40 years, the right's focus on small government, lower taxes and self-reliant individualism has remained the country’s dominant political ideology. Lilla suggests this is because American liberalism became obsessed with identity politics and fractured itself. He writes the left now has an opportunity to reset.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/how-left-fell-victim-identity-politics/

and you couple that with recent comments that Steven Bannon said in a recent interview:

Bannon … said in an interview that if Democrats want to fight over Confederate monuments and attack Mr. Trump as a bigot, that was a fight the president would win.“President Trump, by asking, ‘Where does this all end’ — Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln — connects with the American people about their history, culture and traditions,” he said.“The race-identity politics of the left wants to say it’s all racist,” Mr. Bannon added. “Just give me more. Tear down more statues. Say the revolution is coming. I can’t get enough of it.”

In the second interview, with the American Prospect, Bannon (supposedly believing himself to be off the record) elaborated a bit more on this general theme:

“The Democrats,” he said, “the longer they talk about identity politics, I got ’em. I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...acial-strife-is-a-political-winner-for-trump/

smells like Democrats playing right into da hands of what Trump & co want to do....

if this thread is a microcosm of that, they're definitely on to something.

Lol at you supporting Trump being Bannon's puppet

The irony of what Bannon is preaching with "economic nationalism" is that the ideology is based on identity and anti globalism....which is preached a lot also in the alt right circles.

It's been politicians in general's main tool really. Identity politics are seemingly necessary when dealing with opposing viewpoints and ideology.

not main, and not this extreme till recently, but yeah both sides utilize it, lately though da left been pouring it on, as seen in this segment & those Bannon interviews.

Anyway this is "identity politics" whenever right wingers speak about it in a nutshell

722270F8-394D-453E-862D-44D209280A1A.jpg

Attachments

• 722270F8-394D-453E-862D-44D209280A1A.jpg
    722270F8-394D-453E-862D-44D209280A1A.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 3
not main, and not this extreme till recently, but yeah both sides utilize it, lately though da left been pouring it on, as seen in this segment & those Bannon interviews.

It's been the main for conservatives for a very long time. Always have relied on what is basically the American white Christian identity.

Liberals tried to emulate their identity politics but it's hard with a group as diverse as the Democratic leaning people.

The left is failing in utilizing ID politics for that reason IMO. Not going to work unless the appeal is to humanity vs demonizing people on the right and even then it might not work because tribalism outweighs humanity typically.

It's been the main for conservatives for a very long time. Always have relied on what is basically the American white Christian identity.

Liberals tried to emulate their identity politics but it's hard with a group as diverse as the Democratic leaning people.

The left is failing in utilizing ID politics for that reason IMO. Not going to work unless the appeal is to humanity vs demonizing people on the right and even then it might not work because tribalism outweighs humanity typically.
Luckily white people arent exactly a monolith. The one thing I find the most flawed of what Bannon said in the interview was that he believes the criticism and opposition to the white nationalists will result in white people uniting against the left in a form of "economic nationalism". Quite delusional imo. To demonize Trump supporters is one thing that perhaps the Democrats should have not done...but to think that disavowing white supremacists is a bad political move by the Democrats is laughable.

The left is failing in utilizing ID politics for that reason IMO.

you're 100% right, by Democrats eschewing da working class whites, and depending on a coalition of different minorities that have their own set of buttons they react to with their own individual identity politics (and da seldom fact many of these constituents are enemies) Democrats don't have a "all purpose" message to appeal to em all.

but to think that disavowing white supremacists is a bad political move by the Democrats is laughable.

on paper its not bad, what he's implying that your missing is by concentrating on only this and other social justice/identity politics they're not forming a economic message to run on for 2018-2020.

Back
Top Bottom