***Official Political Discussion Thread***

how lonely and pathetic must one be to wake up at 7 am on a Saturday and first thing they do is tweet an insult about someone they haven't talked to for a year.

But it’s like he’s accusing her of still being salty and saying something recently has she been in public anywhere in the last 3 months ?? :lol:

Edit: he so stressed he can’t come up with better deflections. Sad!

Legit I'm impressed a man in his 70's is so well versed in the art of Twitter trollin...like son can stand with the greats of 4chan and go blow for blow...lmao

I would like the Trump supporters to explain how this is "alpha male behavior" and not some pathetic thin-skinned old man desperately trying to lash out to deflect from his own shortcomings.
Or in their words, this sad old beta **** seems very triggered by Hillary.

it's no accident that guys who support trump are the same ones who complain about women.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-05925-6?WT.mc_id=FBK_NA_1711_FHEDUSPHDTAXHIKE_PORTFOLIO

Meanwhile, none of that work is well compensated. In the United States, according to the US Department of Education’s latest data, from 2011 to 2012, more than half of graduate students make less than US$20,000 a year. For reference, the federal poverty line for a single person without children is $12,060. Living in an expensive region such as Boston, Massachusetts, or the San Francisco Bay Area in California is especially tough. For example, graduate stipends at the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) are capped at $23,844 and are not adjusted for cost of living. To help out, universities often waive tuition fees, which can sometimes be more than a student’s income.

The last thing that graduate students need is a tax hike. But that is what many would face under a clause in the federal-tax-reform bill passed by the US House of Representatives last week. It will now need to be reconciled with the Senate’s tax-reform bill (which retains many existing student tax benefits), and signed by the president.

The 429-page tax plan — which President Trump reportedly tried to christen the “Cut, Cut, Cut Act” because it would ostensibly shrink taxes for many — would require students to report tuition-fee waivers as taxable income, moving the students into a higher tax bracket. Graduate students, who receive the lion’s share of tuition waivers, would be most affected. And 60% of the 145,000 students who get tuition reductions each year are working in science, engineering, technology and mathematics fields, the US Department of Education estimates.

The amount of money that the government would reap from these taxes would be minuscule, given the $20.5-trillion national debt. But it could weigh heavily on young scientists. Take a hypothetical PhD student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge, in receipt of a $23,844 NIH stipend. Under the current system, she would pay very little in taxes. The new law would add her $49,000 MIT tuition bill to her taxable income as though she were paid a $73,000 salary — an amount she never actually sees. This would add thousands of dollars to her tax burden.

This example is extreme — most graduate schools’ tuition fees are closer to $16,000 — but it is safe to say that many students could see their tax rate rise.

Both parties are the same though...

it's especially egregious because we already have a huge problem in that few Americans pursue STEM PhDs. many of the top programs are in high-cost cities (NYC, Boston, Bay Area), so this is going to further discourage Americans from career paths in science and research.

this will have long-lasting effects.

more H1B visas, only the best people

it's especially egregious because we already have a huge problem in that few Americans pursue STEM PhDs. many of the top programs are in high-cost cities (NYC, Boston, Bay Area), so this is going to further discourage Americans from career paths in science and research.

Not only that, I think the cost is not worth the benefit when it comes to pursuing an advanced STEM degree. Ph.D.'s require a ridiculous amount of work and often make the person too overqualified to find a decent job. I have a STEM M.S. and it hasn't done much for my career.

Not only that, I think the cost is not worth the benefit when it comes to pursuing an advanced STEM degree. Ph.D.'s require a ridiculous amount of work and often make the person too overqualified to find a decent job. I have a STEM M.S. and it hasn't done much for my career.

The old guard won't retire (can't afford it), and it creates a glut of very qualified and experienced workers against whom new grads can't compete.

The other thing is, faced with dwindling revenues from state budgets and the Fed, schools will have to increase the number of spots open to international students in order to stay open. They are the ones who can pay the true tuition amount (3 or 4 times in-state tuition) out of pocket.

Talk about making the rest of the world great again!

Our Universities of Ghent and Leuven would be more than happy to accept US talent in STEM fields :nerd:
If that tax plan goes through I expect a gradual bigger push from EU countries to attract US students. France and Germany would certainly take advantage.

I work on the r&d side of a smaller biotech with a lot of various stem phd's, and the vast majority are all foreign born. Even the MDs too. At the bigger companies ive been at too its the same thing. So, from my perspective it already doesn't look good for americans. Honestly though, i love the diversity in my workplace.

If you have to avoid talking politics in a sensible manner your family members aren't @#$@. Disown them ASAP

I love your firebrand approach to politics. I do have to disagree, partially, with what you are saying here. For people of color, those who have loved one who are undocumented, those who are trans or gay or wh oare sexual assault survivors, engeagin gwith Trump supporters can be such an act of emotional labor that it is not worth the time and effort. For those who are white, male, native born etc. we do have an obligation to do two things with Trump supporters. We need to remind them that we are part of the same community of interests: as humans, as Americans, as Californians, as neighbors, family members etc. We need to do that and from there, gently but persistently remind them of the contradictions inherent to Trumpism, in particular, and conservatism in general.

The old guard won't retire (can't afford it), and it creates a glut of very qualified and experienced workers against whom new grads can't compete.

The other thing is, faced with dwindling revenues from state budgets and the Fed, schools will have to increase the number of spots open to international students in order to stay open. They are the ones who can pay the true tuition amount (3 or 4 times in-state tuition) out of pocket.

Talk about making the rest of the world great again!

There is whole cottage industry that has existed to tell people that STEM is great and that anyone who pursues higher education, that is not in a STEM field, is foolish and deserves to be poor for the rest of their lives.

This message was always an a dishonest tactic used to divide and conquer the community if interest that is everyone who is involved in higher education. The goal of the conservative anti education lobby is to destroy public education at all levels but they couldn't do it right away so they decided hold up STEM as the good side of higher education and denigrated every other field of higher education. The ruling class has starved and beaten down much of the humanities, arts, social sciences and now after inflicting sufficient damage over there, the ruling class is starting to turn on the STEM fields and the stemlords (young males, mostly white males, who though that their comp sci degree was a golden ticket) are about to get racked over the coals.

Through expanded H1B visas, taxes on tuition and stipends, future DoD cuts, AI and other advanced automation, most STEM grads are about to experience what the so called "underwater basket weaving, lesbian dance theory majors" have been experiences: low pay and a mountain of undischarged student debt.

Our Universities of Ghent and Leuven would be more than happy to accept US talent in STEM fields :nerd:
If that tax plan goes through I expect a gradual bigger push from EU countries to attract US students. France and Germany would certainly take advantage.

It's all coming full circle. The best minds in science will study and do research in Europe and America's great Universities will lose their global cache just as it was 100, 120 years ago.

And so will begin the decline of the US, as those most able to correct the downward trajectory of the country leave for greener pastures.

gucci3.png

Not one damn from FB

has she been in public anywhere in the last 3 months ??

she's been on speaking tours for her book (temporarily got sidetracked after she broke her toe busting her ***) and she commented on Al Franken like a idiot :lol:

oh and a bunch of editorials drop retroactively condemning Bill Clinton, so she's been roped in...

Fox News was all about the Clintons and how sexual harassment is "plaguing" the Dems

CNN and Fox were both reacting to NYtimes stories condemning bill Clinton...

and politically speaking da dems cant effectively attack roy moore when da Spector of Bill Clinton's misgivings puts a shadow over em, da Al Franken news exacerbated da situation.

Hillary was widely seen as a enabler to Bill's behavior, essentially keeping him viable politically by going after da allegations of his accusers "Monica Lewinsky is a egotistical looney tune" "that's in da past" "its a right wing conspiracy on my husband" etc.

Back
Top Bottom