***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Man if he don't get with this charmin soft statement
dahell2.png

Flake said he'd block Trump's judicial appointments until the GOP votes on tariffs. Well now would be the time to do it and rein in Trump's tariff powers.

As if McConnell gives a rat's *** about tweets or public opinion in general. He literally said “one of my proudest moments was when I looked at Barack Obama in the eye and I said, Mr. President, you will not fill this Supreme Court vacancy”

All the liberals that wanted to play the "elections don't matter, I don't bring myself to vote in midterms or for Hillary" finna learn the hard way.

Preexisting conditions protections, reproductive Rights, civil rights, labor righs, consumer rights and bunch of other **** finna be in danger.

We must have watched different coverage of the 2016 election. I recall a big part of Hillary’s general election message was that every Republican but Trump isn’t so bad. Going by that logic, whomever Donald Trump appoints will have to be approved by at least 51 non Trump Republicans who, presumably “love this country.” The appointee himself will be a Republican and night even be from a “Catholic, social justice tradition,” like Paul Ryan.

Also, it may be true that black and brown voters, of all social classes, provide Dems with votes but elected Democratic politicians govern in favor of the professional-managerial class and that group is largely anti union and anti consumer protection so secretly, they love the current and future composition of the high court.

This is not even about 2016

In 2014 people were yelling about how bad losing the Senate will be, no one wanted to listen. Now look

If I recall correctly, a number of Democratic candidates for Senate, back 2014, basically said “Barack Obama’s? Never heard of the guy.”

Democratic Party grandees declared that to be brilliant strategy. Alienating black voters in the hope of picking up a few Serena Joys was lauded as smart politics. Of course, that strategy failed.

It’s as if the Democratic Party either wants to win with a coalition that includes rich suburbanites, lose while appealing to rich white women in the burbs. Anything but winning with and governing for a multi racial workers’ coalition.

http://thehill.com/homenews/394460-trump-jr-jeanine-pirro-on-supreme-court-would-be-pretty-awesome
Trump Jr: Jeanine Pirro on Supreme Court ‘would be pretty awesome’
The president's eldest son, Donald Trump Jr. said on Wednesday that the idea of Fox News host Judge Jeanine Pirro succeeding Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy would be "pretty awesome."

"This would be pretty awesome," Trump tweeted, referencing another tweet that says, "Introducing Supreme Court Justice Jeanine Pirro."

Trump's comment came shortly after Kennedy announced his retirement— a move that will give President Trump the opportunity to nominate his second right-leaning Supreme Court justice since taking office.

Pirro is known for her cozy relationship with Trump.

Earlier this month, Politico reported that she told Trump administration staffers she was interested in taking over Jeff Sessions's role as Attorney General. Pirro also was reportedly considered a possible nominee for the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York during Trump's transition.

Trump has appeared for interviews on Pirro's show, "Judge Jeanine" twice since taking office.

Because Trump is an avid viewer of the show, White House communication staffers place aides on Pirro's show each week, in part to deter the president from calling in, The Washington Post reported earlier this year.

http://thehill.com/homenews/394460-trump-jr-jeanine-pirro-on-supreme-court-would-be-pretty-awesome
Trump Jr: Jeanine Pirro on Supreme Court ‘would be pretty awesome’
The president's eldest son, Donald Trump Jr. said on Wednesday that the idea of Fox News host Judge Jeanine Pirro succeeding Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy would be "pretty awesome."

"This would be pretty awesome," Trump tweeted, referencing another tweet that says, "Introducing Supreme Court Justice Jeanine Pirro."

Trump's comment came shortly after Kennedy announced his retirement— a move that will give President Trump the opportunity to nominate his second right-leaning Supreme Court justice since taking office.

Pirro is known for her cozy relationship with Trump.

Earlier this month, Politico reported that she told Trump administration staffers she was interested in taking over Jeff Sessions's role as Attorney General. Pirro also was reportedly considered a possible nominee for the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York during Trump's transition.

Trump has appeared for interviews on Pirro's show, "Judge Jeanine" twice since taking office.

Because Trump is an avid viewer of the show, White House communication staffers place aides on Pirro's show each week, in part to deter the president from calling in, The Washington Post reported earlier this year.

:smh: he already has a list of 25 SWS bootlickers lined up, no need to expand the clown show

Also a reminder that Pruitt is still under 12 separate investigations last time I checked.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/epas-pruitt-wants-to-limit-his-own-agencys-authority-1530091923
EPA’s Pruitt Wants to Limit His Own Agency’s Authority
Removing the EPA’s effective veto power over permits to dump waste into waterways would affect mining, real-estate projects
The chief of the Environmental Protection Agency is trying to limit one of the agency’s most powerful tools to manage or block mining, real-estate and other developments by removing the effective veto power it has over permits to dump waste into waterways.

The move, described in a memo reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, would limit the agency’s power to pre-emptively or retroactively block U.S. Army Corps of Engineers approval of the waste dumping, hindering or potentially killing large development projects.

It is the latest attempt at a regulatory rollback from EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt, who has pledged to ease environmental restrictions on businesses. He wrote in the memo to some senior staff, including regional administrators, that the powers he intends to curb have a chilling effect on economic development.

“I am concerned that the mere potential of EPA’s use of its… authority before or after the permitting process could influence investment decisions and chill economic growth by short-circuiting the permitting process,” he wrote in a four-page memo he signed Tuesday.

Mr. Pruitt is ordering EPA’s Office of Water to relinquish authority the agency has had for about 40 years under the Clean Water Act of 1972 to prohibit some approvals by the Corps even before a developer formally applies for them, or to throw them out years after they were granted—even after a project is complete and operational.

The Corps has permitting authority when developers want to dump excavated land and waste into waterways, most commonly sought for mines and real-estate development, experts said. But Congress granted EPA the review authority over that permitting and power to reject permits approved by the Corps. While advocates see it as a fail-safe the agency can leverage to encourage developers into more environmentally friendly practices, Mr. Pruitt thinks the power is so broad it is vulnerable to abuse, according to a person familiar with his thinking.

The agency has used that authority to block or restrict development only 13 times in its history, according to the memo, so shedding the authority would be broadly less influential than Mr. Pruitt’s headline initiatives like rollbacks on power-plant pollution rules, vehicle-emissions limits, and EPA’s power over streams and lakes.

But while few projects have been subject to that authority, it is one of the most extensive the agency has, with its potential to halt a project at preliminary stages in the permitting process or long after it has come to fruition, according to several policy experts.

The developers of Pebble Mine—an estimated $5 billion project in southwest Alaska—blame President Barack Obama’s administration for putting their project in regulatory limbo by using these powers against it in 2014. Mr. Pruitt refers to that decision specifically in the memo, which could erase the threat that the EPA could halt the project again after Pebble makes another effort to get federal permits, Tom Collier, chief executive of Pebble Limited Partnership, said in a phone interview from his Anchorage office.

Shares of the partnership’s parent company, Vancouver-basedNorthern Dynasty Minerals Ltd. , have lost about 60% since that decision and closed Tuesday on the Toronto Stock Exchange at C$0.68. Northern Dynasty has also had trouble recruiting investors since then. Last month it said First Quantum Minerals Ltd. backed out of a deal announced in December to pay $150 million for an option to buy half of the project for $1.5 billion.

Pebble executives have urged Congress and officials in President Donald Trump’s administration to shed this authority, Mr. Collier said.

“It’s hugely helpful for us,” he added. “I think it sends a clear signal that making decisions about vetoing a project before you have had an application filed… is just not the right policy.”
Dropping the policy would eliminate a useful tool the EPA has to encourage developers to look harder for solutions that are friendly to the environment, said Bob Perciasepe, deputy EPA administrator under Mr. Obama and chief of the EPA’s air and water divisions during the Clinton administration.

The EPA’s rare use of the authority shows it has been reserved for special situations and not prone to abuse, he said.

It “could be self-defeating over time” for EPA to drop it, he said.

“If there isn’t a consequence to filling a wetland and destroying a habitat, then people will do it,” he said.

Mr. Pruitt’s memo directs EPA staff to send a draft policy to the White House for review within six months. The new policy would need to go through a public comment period before it is finalized, according to a person familiar with the process.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/27/anthony-kennedy-retirement-senate-congress-679653
GOP plans to steamroll Dems on Supreme Court pick
Senate Republicans will move quickly to replace Anthony Kennedy before the midterm elections.
Senate Republicans plan to confirm a new Supreme Court justice to replace retiring Anthony Kennedy before the midterm elections, according to interviews with nearly a dozen Republican senators.

The Senate GOP is expected to execute a lightning strike confirmation despite their razor thin majority of 51 senators, which is effectively down to 50 as Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) recovers from brain cancer. But because of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s rules change last year to push through Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch, the GOP can unilaterally confirm a new justice without any Democratic support.

McConnell told reporters that the nominee will be confirmed before this fall; Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) has said that historically it takes about two months on average from the time a president nominates a new justice to the time a Judiciary Committee hearing is held. What that means practically is the Senate is likely to have installed a firm conservative majority on the high court by the time voters go to the polls in November.

“The goal will be to get a conservative confirmed before the election,” said Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), the No. 4 GOP leader. “I’m delighted to see President Trump have another opportunity to appoint another Supreme Court justice. And I’m sure he’s going to appoint somebody just like Antonin Scalia and Neil Gorsuch.”

Whether Republicans can jam through another Scalia or Gorsuch remains to be seen. GOP Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska are moderate on social issues and will have heavy sway in what’s sure to be a narrow vote. Murkowski declined requests for comment in a brief interview.

Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) faces a difficult reelection in a swing state. And Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), who is retiring, said that he and other senators won’t “rubber stamp” a judge just because it’s a Republican nomination.

But Flake, like most in the GOP, expects the president to nominate someone far more conservative than Kennedy, a long-standing swing vote.

“I can’t imagine right now the president going for a … Kennedy mold. It’s his choice,” Flake said. “This is the seat. The last one simply reaffirmed the balance. This is the change. That’s why I always thought the Democrats miscalculated by going after Gorsuch.”

Trump also could pluck a conservative senator like Mike Lee (R-Utah) for the court. In a statement Lee said he would "not say no" to the opportunity if asked.

“I started watching Supreme Court arguments for fun when I was 10 years old," Lee said. "The president’s got a decision to make and I trust his ability to make it and make it well.”

Kennedy's retirement plunged the chamber into a state excitement and frustration, but one thing was immediately clear: Democrats can’t band together to block the seat.

The minority party’s filibuster of Gorsuch last year led to McConnell gutting the 60-vote requirement for Supreme Court justices, an escalation after Democrats previously eliminated the supermajority requirement for lower-level nominees.

So while Democrats can complain and delay the Senate's confirmation process for Trump's nominee, they simply can’t stop a Supreme Court justice on the floor unless they can convince a Republican to join them. One Democrat facing a difficult reelection battle in a state Trump won, Florida Sen. Bill Nelson, said Wednesday that he wouldn't rule out voting for the president's nominee, depending on who it is.

“They can’t block it,” said Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas). “There are things you can do to drag this out, but I think they’re fairly limited. So I’m, like I said, pretty optimistic we can get this done.”

Grassley said Wednesday that he anticipates a nominee coming before the committee “in the weeks ahead,” underscoring that the GOP expects to waste no time.

“We’ll certainly get right to it as soon as we get it a name,” said Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), the No. 3 GOP leader. “I can’t imagine a scenario where we have an orderly process and we haven’t completed it before” the election.

The Senate has already canceled much of the August recess, meaning McConnell has already cleared the decks for a seismic event like a Supreme Court confirmation.

“We will be here in August, and suddenly that decision might be more important in providing the time we need to also confirm a Supreme Court judge this year and do our other work,” said Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), the No. 5 GOP leader.

In 2016, McConnell memorably declined to even give President Barack Obama’s nominee Merrick Garland a hearing, declaring that it’s up to the voters to decide who filled the vacancy on Scalia’s death.

Senate Minority Whip **** Durbin (D-Ill.) suggested that under McConnell’s “tortured logic” of blocking Garland in February of an election year, he’ll do the same in the summer of a midterm election.

But McConnell said there’s no chance of that.

“There’s no presidential election this year,” he told reporters.

You guys are something else lol ... Simply not understanding the difference between midterm elections and presidential elections ... Not being able to understand nuance ... I wish Kennedy a long and happy retirement ...

You guys are something else lol ... Simply not understanding the difference between midterm elections and presidential elections ... Not being able to understand nuance ... I wish Kennedy a long and happy retirement ...
There is no such official rule of refusing to hold any hearing Supreme Court justice at any given point in time. Technically both are simply an excuse for obstruction.

All the liberals that wanted to play the "elections don't matter, I don't bring myself to vote in midterms or for Hillary" finna learn the hard way.

Preexisting conditions protections, reproductive Rights, civil rights, labor righs, consumer rights and bunch of other **** finna be in danger.
As if McConnell gives a rat's *** about tweets or public opinion in general. He literally said “one of my proudest moments was when I looked at Barack Obama in the eye and I said, Mr. President, you will not fill this Supreme Court vacancy”
The GOP has been at war with everybody that is not them. Cats want to see military trucks roll down their streets, breaking in houses, and picking people up at random to understand what they are facing.

The slippery slope of coddling to the Right is getting steeper.

Back
Top Bottom