***Official Political Discussion Thread***

You're the last person who should be asking questions about veracity. Have you forcefully condemned your president about his propagating of Jewish stereotypes yet?

"The only people who should count my money wear yarmulkes"

I asked, because someone posted that they don't understand why the Kamala thing was news. It seems like it was news due to it being about her veracity. Many voters think veracity is important.

Serious question: Did McCabe decide to **** Rod Rosenstein, because he thought, he hadn't ****ed the Special Counsel enough?

Many voters think veracity is important.

62,984,828 voted for:

171106120632-trump-golf-tease-super-tease.jpg

h5D550D04

Serious question: Did McCabe decide to **** Rod Rosenstein, because he thought, he hadn't ****ed the Special Counsel enough?
For what it's worth, there have been previous reports about some bad blood between McCabe and Rosenstein. McCabe has also been accused of lack of candor during interviews with the DOJ Inspector General about alleged contacts with the WSJ. Lack of candor isn't quite up to the standard of "lying" but it's not exactly truthful or cooperative either.
According to the Inspector General Horowitz, an Obama appointee, McCabe anonymously confirmed the existence of the Clinton Foundation investigation to the WSJ and "recounted the content of a phone call with a senior Department official in a manner designed to advance his personal interests at the expense of Department leadership, clearly not within the public interest exception."

McCabe was then not fully cooperative with the Inspector General's investigation of that unauthorized media leak, hence the description of "lack of candor" in Horowitz' report.

Senior Republicans, including McConnel, have already been warning president Trump about calling a national emergency and suggested it would set a bad precedent that would be held up in court anyway. I'll see if I can find the article I'm recalling.

Edit: Here it is.
Note of course that these comments are coming from invertebrates.
https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-act...inst-using-national-emergency-for-border-wall February 4
Senate GOP warns Trump against using national emergency for border wall
Senate Republicans are warning President Trump ahead of his State of the Union speech against using a national emergency declaration to build the U.S.-Mexico border wall.

GOP lawmakers warned that declaring a national emergency would be met with resistance on Capitol Hill, where Congress could try to block Trump by using a resolution of disapproval.

Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), the No. 2 Senate Republican, said that he and "a lot of my colleagues" have concerns about the precedent Trump would set if he declared a national emergency to construct the border wall.

"There's a lot of reservations in the conference about it and I hope they don't go down that path," Thune told reporters.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), who is close to Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), told reporters that declaring a national emergency would be a "dangerous step" that likely wouldn't allow Trump to build the wall border wall because it would get bogged down in court and challenged in Congress.
Congress has until Feb. 15 to get a deal on funding for the border wall and to prevent a second shutdown, which would impact roughly a quarter of the government. The president is demanding $5.7 for the wall; Democrats have rejected money for a concrete wall but signaled some openness to fencing or other barriers.

Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), a member of the conference committee tasked with finding a deal, told reporters that a national emergency wouldn't be his preferred route.

"I wouldn't prefer one. I believe we should continue to work toward the legislative solution," he said. "I do believe that the president's probably got the power under the Constitution and maybe under the statue to do that, but I would rather us do it."

Trump has refused to rule out declaring a national emergency if Congress isn't able to reach a deal on wall funding, despite public pushback from Republicans including McConnell.

He hinted to reporters on Friday that they should "listen closely" to his State of the Union speech.

“I don't take anything off the table. I don't like to take things off the table. It's that alternative. It's national emergency, it's other things and you know there have been plenty national emergencies called,” Trump separately told CBS News's "Face the Nation," asked if he would shut down the government.

Democratic leadership hasn't announced that they would force a resolution of disapproval vote if Trump declares a national emergency, though Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said last month that he and Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) would "look at any legislative way to stop it."

Democrats would likely be able to pass the resolution easily through the House and kick the fight to the Senate, where Schumer would be able to force a vote.

McConnell reportedly warned Trump that a resolution blocking his emergency declaration would be able to get enough GOP votes to pass, forcing the president to issue his first veto.

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), while caveating that she didn't know what Trump is going to, said she is "in general opposed to the president using the national emergencies act."

"I don't think the intent was for it to be used in this kind of situation. And as a member of the Senate I'm very concerned if the president believes that he can reallocate or repurpose appropriations for which we have designated very specific purposes," she said.

"It also is in my judgement of dubious constitutionality," Collins added. "So I don't really think it gets him to the goal."

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) told reporters that he would be studying the issue, including what it meant for the "constitutional division of power."

Republicans have tried to stick closely to Trump during the months-long fight over the border wall, which remains a potent issue among the party's base. But there have been growing fractures about shutdown strategy after GOP senators became increasingly anxious during the 35-day partial funding lapse.

Trump would likely have some GOP support if he declared a national emergency.

Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) has repeatedly told reporters that he doesn't think it would "be the end of Western civilization," while also saying last week that he didn't know how he would vote on an effort to block the declaration.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) acknowledged that Trump circumventing Congress on the wall fight divides Republicans, but urged his colleagues to line up behind the president.
"It seems to me that he's gonna have to go it alone, but there could be a war within the Republican party over the wall," Graham said.

He added that "any Republican who denies the president the ability to act as commander in chief, you're going to create a real problem within the party."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...ut-emergency-declaration-to-build-border-wall February 2
McConnell reportedly warned Trump about emergency declaration to build border wall
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) reportedly warned President Trump this week that declaring a national emergency to build his U.S.–Mexico border wall could create a rift in the GOP conference.

Last edited:
:rofl::rofl:

Trump the master negotiator! Had $25 billion for border wall in hand early last year in exchange for DACA protections and pathway to citizenship for DACA folks. Pulls out last minute, just to end up begging for $6 billion late last year. Gets offered $1.6 billion for border barrier and pulls out again last minute causing the longest shutdown in US history just to end up with $1.3 billion for a border barrier and forced to declare a national emergency to save face and lose again in the courts.

Let’s get this right, Trump never had a set amount just for a boarder wall and boarder security always gets a set dollar amount annually. No, he NEVER has what he wanted. He did decline a by far better situation than now according to his “need”. Complete failure

Climate Change, Guns, Health Insurance, Mass Incarceration, Income Inequality, so many national emergencies to declare so little time.

Go ahead you orange price of ****, set that precedent

Funny how Republicans are just now realizing that allowing Trump to run roughshod like this could come back to bite them in the rear

Oh well

How about a national emergency declaration for serious national security issues in the White House?
There's at least 30 WH officials, including Kushner, who were denied a clearance by career security officials but were overruled by a WH political appointee. That official then threatened a whistleblower who raised questions about the overruling.
That's a few dozen people with clearances who should not have one. Additionally, the president uses an unsecure phone and refuses to listen to security officials advising him to use a government-issued phone. Trump reportedly refuses to let security officials screen the unsecure Android phone, which is presumably being tapped by every competent intelligence agency in the area.

The president is withholding details of his conversations with Vladimir Putin, whom he has given nothing but praise to, while he and each and every single one of his associates repeatedly lied about having any Russian contacts, despite there now being at least 100 confirmed contacts with more than a dozen Trump associates including the president himself.
From "no Russian contacts by anyone" to more than a 100 contacts, an enormous flood of repeated lies to the public and multiple Trump associates going down for criminal false statement charges relating to Russia or interactions with Russians.

Back
Top Bottom