***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Good! Just cut it to Biden, Warren, Bernie already. Those other bums are just taking up time and space on the debate stage

Like I said before the primary started, it would have been much better if Biden and Bernie didn't run. Both sucked too much air out the room.

I think people gotta get ready for Biden to put a beating on the field once the voting starts.

He might lock this thing up earlier than folk realize. If so, I hope the other candidates just accept it and just drop out. But I am delusional, Bernie and his peeps gonna throw a major tantrum, and indulge is tons of buffoonery. :lol: :lol:

we need actual progression. unfortunately it seems like we won't get it due to ppl feeling like we can't get progression and a win in the white house against the GOP gerrymandering/voter suppression campaign x Russian govt assist.

biden isn't a progressive. he's more of the same. are we ever going to get passed this every four years going between right and center right thing?
ever??

While all attention is directed on the next presidential election...

25% of all federal judges (including 2 Supreme Court justices) are Trump appointees.

Most are in thier 30's and federal judges are LIFETIME appointees.

Mitch McConnel is a true Sith Lord.

If you are a democrat, progressive, centrist, moderate republican, or even independant...this should be a wake up call.

When people ask how come the republicans stand behind Trump...facts like these make it most obvious.

Who appoints federal judges?
Supreme Court justices, court of appeals judges, and district court judges are nominated by the President and confirmed by the United States Senate, as stated in the Constitution. The names of potential nominees are often recommended by senators or sometimes by members of the House who are of the President's political party. The Senate Judiciary Committee typically conducts confirmation hearings for each nominee. Article III of the Constitution states that these judicial officers are appointed for a life term. The federal Judiciary, the Judicial Conference of the United States, and the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts play no role in the nomination and confirmation process.

How are new judgeships created?
Court of appeals and district court judgeships are created by legislation that must be enacted by Congress. The Judicial Conference (through its Judicial Resources Committee) surveys the judgeship needs of the courts every other year. A threshold for the number of weighted filings per judgeship is the key factor in determining when an additional judgeship will be requested. Other factors may include geography, number of senior judges, and mix of cases. The Judicial Conference presents its judgeship recommendations to Congress.

What are the qualifications for becoming a federal judge?
The Constitution sets forth no specific requirements. However, members of Congress, who typically recommend potential nominees, and the Department of Justice, which reviews nominees' qualifications, have developed their own informal criteria.

What can democrats do about it?

Win the Senate!

Article III judges can be removed from office only through impeachment by the House of Representatives and conviction by the Senate. Article III judgeships are created by legislation enacted by Congress.

Oh - another thing...

The Constitution also provides that judges’ salaries cannot be reduced while they are in office. Article III judicial salaries are not affected by geography or length of tenure.

we need actual progression. unfortunately it seems like we won't get it due to ppl feeling like we can't get progression and a win in the white house against the GOP gerrymandering/voter suppression campaign x Russian govt assist.

biden isn't a progressive. he's more of the same. are we ever going to get passed this every four years going between right and center right thing?
ever??

I don't doubt a "progressive" could win the presidency in 2020 or the near future but the House/Senate remain the issue

the best Dems can hope for in the senate is a majority that's going to include many moderates

I'm not sure what the answer to that is, short of young people/progressives starting to move to states like Wyoming and South Dakota

While all attention is directed on the next presidential election...

25% of all federal judges (including 2 Supreme Court justices) are Trump appointees.

Most are in thier 30's and federal judges are LIFETIME appointees.

Mitch McConnel is a true Sith Lord.

If you are a democrat, progressive, centrist, moderate republican, or even independant...this should be a wake up call.

When people ask how come the republicans stand behind Trump...facts like these make it most obvious.

It's the only part of the presidency that matters to true conservatives. McConnell will go down as one of the worst and most destructive politicians in our country's history

Republicans have focused on the Judiciary for 3 decades since the Bork decision. The Federalist Society was a direct result and is a real threat to our freedom

If it weren't so destructive to democracy, it would really be impressive how the right has marched in lock step for decades, Federalist Society/REDMAP/2A/Roe, while the left is a very loose association of splinter groups that's about as coordinated as a litter of puppies

I don't doubt a "progressive" could win the presidency in 2020 or the near future but the House/Senate remain the issue

the best Dems can hope for in the senate is a majority that's going to include many moderates

I'm not sure what the answer to that is, short of young people/progressives starting to move to states like Wyoming and South Dakota
Yeah, the biggest roadblock to a federal progressive agenda is the Senate, not the ideological standing of a Democratic President. It is undemocratic and swings tons of power to white rural people.

Making DC and Puerto Rico states should really be prioritized by the Dems.

Then make moves to protect their House majority so that way they can drop the filibuster. But still, even you are gonna need some people like Sherrod Brown that do better than your average Democrat with conservative voters, while still being more progressive.

Last edited:
In an earlier FOIA release, it turns out that DOJ redacted the key parts of nearly all correspondence in which the legality of the Ukraine aid freeze was questioned, as well as communications that contradicted OMB's official story.
The DOJ redacted a particular communication in its entirety, one that showed that OMB knowingly put out a false cover story about the aid freeze after Politico first reported about it.

0237119e910b49b6a35aa9f537344a89.png

Last edited:

ever??
I was going to suggest that maybe a situation like the Australian bushfires would make people take their head out of their ***.
Then, I remembered that Sandy Hook didn't change anything.
It might be time to actively consider an exit strategy, unless you want to be around 300 million potentially armed folks when **** hits the fan.

I was told that gray hair is a sign of wisdom, but it can't be true when one of the leading Democratic candidates can look across the aisle and think that all the shenanigans of the GOP during the last decade are not a big deal, to the point that said candidate openly considers a bipartisan executive.

I'm good on that.

Yeah, the biggest roadblock to a federal progressive agenda is the Senate, not the ideological standing of a Democratic President. It is undemocratic and swings tons of power to white rural people.

Making DC and Puerto Rico states should really be prioritized by the Dems.

Then make moves to protect their House majority so that way they can drop the filibuster. But still, even you are gonna need some people like Sherrod Brown that do better than your average Democrat with conservative voters, while still being more progressive.

Sherrod Brown looking like a unicorn these days. Wouldn't have minded a presidential run from him if it didn't mean losing his seat to a deplorable

of the 45 current Dem senators, starting from the "most left" Republican, immediately you have guys like Doug Jones, Joe Manchin, Jon Tester, Mark Warner.... all of which could easily be GOP

but at this point I'd settle for any Dem majority in the senate. Some progress is better than 0. Not to mention a GOP senate will no longer approve Dem appointed SC Justices

the House is better represented than the Senate but Dems still run into the same issue once you get outside of major metro area Reps

PR and DC would be nice but they seem like non-starters with the GOP

Back
Top Bottom