***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Not surprised. Seen a lot of folks from the church I used to attend repost that video of Candace Owens. Terrible.

Also have had some conversations with friends who are elders or staff members of said church and believe that there isn't such a thing as systematic racism.

I am of the minority that does not agree with their views.

I attend a Methodist church in the south and my wife is an elder. I have been proud of my church for the stance that they have taken against racism over the last six weeks when many others have chosen to completely ignore it. I cannot say the same thing about my fellow church members. It’s as though they have created this false dichotomy where opposing racism must also equate hating police, so many of them are afraid to touch it. For a lot of them I think they care more about being republicans more than serving Jesus Christ, and being a member of our church community is just another box they have to check.

Last edited:
Ouch.

I agree that isn't why people do it. It certainly is not the reason that I do. It's hardly an attractive enough sole reason to do so. The status quo just gives you a little discount for money you'd give anyway towards a good cause.

But, if it was more attractive, then it could create an incentive for more people to contribute in a way that they do not currently. Especially people who couldn't really afford to do it before. That is my point.

You saying 44% (in states that tax personal income) magically becomes 50% and 100% is slightly above 50% is a clear showing of how disingenuous you can be. Just be honest about the numbers. If you think it's a bad idea, cool. But skewing the numbers and acting like 100% is slightly above 50% is laughable.

I think you are highly overestimating the amount that rich people donate. Again, from experience, those I have prepared returns for making more than $250k a year generally give anywhere from $5-20k so we are talking about an extremely small tax benefit in the grand scheme of things. Most of the time rich people create a foundation for when they pass and that’s how the distribute their wealth if not directly to family members. Billionaires would obviously be more likely to give more but there are so few in relation to overall communities that you could not depend on that as a source of funding for the poor.

Telling people that they are going to get an additional benefit of 50% isn’t going to spur some crazy *** investment into communities that a 50% deduction now (some states have a marginal tax rate in excess of 10% so those states would be the 37% federal rate + 10-13% state rate to get to 50%. Go look up California and New York/New York city’s tax rates. I used an average state rate instead of the highest marginal rates where the largest portion of rich people in the US live. Not disingenuous at all).

Also some communities literally do no have rich donors and would rely on the extra church benefit provided of *checkes notes* $0.0. But please continue to tell me how taxes work.

If these are legitimate businesses, and there is no fraud, I don't understand the issue. Like I said, there's an entire thread on Niketalk about getting sba loans/grants.

I got a $1000 grant for stockx sales.

you mean you have a forgivable $1000 advance on a small business loan

that you don’t intent to payback

One of the major issues in American politics is everything is played to two extremes. Liberals will yell SYSTEMIC RACISM IS OVERWHELMING. BLACK AMERICANS CANNOT SUCCEED IN AMERICA. And people are like uhhh that's not true. I know a lot of successful Black people.

then conservatives will shout THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SYSTEMIC RACISM. EVERY AMERICAN HAS THE SAME ABILITY TO SUCCEED. And people are like uhhhh I grew up in a community where it was extremely difficult to achieve the same success as someone who grew up in a better situated community.

Is there racism in America? Absolutely. Do some people make it seem more prevalent than it is? Absolutely. Do some people pretend it's less prevalent than it is? Absolutely. The lack of ever finding a middle ground on any issue ever is the reason why America can almost never resolve anything efficiently

Last edited:

Out of all the scum bag **** I’ve seen in this forum, this is right up there at the top considering how often he talks about how he doesn’t need stuff like this. It just further proves all he gives a **** about is money. Bottom line that’s the only reason he still supports Trump

“welfare is an issue”

Also Dwalk:

“I took a grand for a business that doesn’t exist because I could”

I got an advance for a loan that does not need to be repaid.

You don't need to accept the loan terms.

The word advance is more descriptive in this circumstance due to the fact that is is not repaid.

Out of all the scum bag **** I’ve seen in this forum, this is right up there at the top considering how often he talks about how he doesn’t need stuff like this. It just further proves all he gives a **** about is money. Bottom line that’s the only reason he still supports Trump

“welfare is an issue”

Also Dwalk:

I didn't take a grand for a business that doesn't exist.

“welfare is an issue”

Also Dwalk:

Which circle of hell is reserved for these people?

I didn't take a grand for a business that doesn't exist.

You took money intended to help people who truly needed it when you yourself have admitted multiple times that this downturn hasn’t affected you. You can call it whatever the **** you want to help you sleep at night

I think you are highly overestimating the amount that rich people donate. Again, from experience, those I have prepared returns for making more than $250k a year generally give anywhere from $5-20k so we are talking about an extremely small tax benefit in the grand scheme of things. Most of the time rich people create a foundation for when they pass and that’s how the distribute their wealth if not directly to family members. Billionaires would obviously be more likely to give more but there are so few in relation to overall communities that you could not depend on that as a source of funding for the poor.

Telling people that they are going to get an additional benefit of 50% isn’t going to spur some crazy *** investment into communities that a 50% deduction now (some states have a marginal tax rate in excess of 10% so those states would be the 37% federal rate + 10-13% state rate to get to 50%. Go look up California and New York/New York city’s tax rates. I used an average state rate instead of the highest marginal rates where the largest portion of rich people in the US live. Not disingenuous at all).

Also some communities literally do no have rich donors and would rely on the extra church benefit provided of *checkes notes* $0.0. But please continue to tell me how taxes work.

It is always amazing how you define "rich" depending on your argument. I remember back when you were saying you are out of the middle class with 100k in household income.

Now people making 250k in household income are "generally" only giving 5k based on your experience? Sure. . .

Technically correct

You are taking advantage of a program meant to benefit others during a crisis to pad your pockets

dwalk: what about all the others....

You took money intended to help people who truly needed it when you yourself have admitted multiple times that this downturn hasn’t affected you. You can call it whatever the **** you want to help you sleep at night

It was meant to benefit small business owners. The fact that I would be fine without it doesn't mean that I did something against the intent of the program.

It is always amazing how you define "rich" depending on your argument. I remember back when you were saying you are out of the middle class with 100k in household income.

Now people making 250k in household income are "generally" only giving 5k based on your experience? Sure. . .

here is the irs statistics on that group of individuals. Number on the left is total number of people claiming the deduction. Number on the right is the total actual deduction. I’ve circled the group where $250k income falls into. You can do the math on the average, but I guess **** me for using actual experience and crazy **** like IRS statistics to back my claims.

E2A952E4-F391-4EF2-B466-26007DEDCFC2.jpeg

I can’t really speak for those making more than $1.5M a year as I did a grand total of zero of those returns.

Also, I’m glad I didn’t look at these numbers beforehand but apparently according to actual IRS data the range was pretty ****ing spot on

It was meant to benefit small business owners. The fact that I would be fine without it doesn't mean that I did something against the intent of the program.

It was meant to keep employees on the payroll so they could resume business immediately after we came out of lockdown. It wasn’t meant for ****bags like you who have no employees but sold some ****ing shoes in the internet so they could take some money away from real ****ing businesses who needed it

Imagine coming in here complaining about people who truly need assistance getting SNAP and then turning around and claiming a forgivable loan because you sold some ****ing shoes on the internet as a hobby.

It was meant to keep employees on the payroll so they could resume business immediately after we came out of lockdown. It wasn’t meant for ****bags like you who have no employees but sold some ****ing shoes in the internet so they could take some money away from real ****ing businesses who needed it

I didn't see that language on the app.

And it included independent contractors and sole proprietors who often don't have employees. But if you say so.

Updated response to your edit:
I don't have an issue with people receiving snap assistance. I just think there are better ways to empower people on those programs.

And saying it is a hobby would actually reduce tax liability, right? Or am I wrong on that?

here is the irs statistics on that group of individuals. Number on the left is total number of people claiming the deduction. Number on the right is the total actual deduction. I’ve circled the group where $250k income falls into. You can do the math on the average, but I guess **** me for using actual experience and crazy **** like IRS statistics to back my claims.

E2A952E4-F391-4EF2-B466-26007DEDCFC2.jpeg

I can’t really speak for those making more than $1.5M a year as I did a grand total of zero of those returns.

Also, I’m glad I didn’t look at these numbers beforehand but apparently according to actual IRS data the range was pretty ****ing spot on

I'll take your word for on the math related to what you've posted equaling an average of 5k-20k for households of 250k.

Is this number different for folks who itemize in your opinion? 5k on 250k is remarkable.

I'll take your word for on the math related to what you've posted equaling an average of 5k-20k for households of 250k.

Is this number different for folks who itemize in your opinion? 5k on 250k is remarkable.

yes. Those who are older tend to give more to churches, community, etc. I’ve seen some making that amount giving less than $1k a year. A lot those people are trust fund babies who don’t give a **** about anything though

Imagine coming in here complaining about people who truly need assistance getting SNAP and then turning around and claiming a forgivable loan because you sold some ****ing shoes on the internet as a hobby.

So basically Delk is a scumbag?

I didn't see that language on the app.

And it included independent contractors and sole proprietors who often don't have employees. But if you say so.

Updated response to your edit:
I don't have an issue with people receiving snap assistance. I just think there are better ways to empower people on those programs.

And saying it is a hobby would actually reduce tax liability, right? Or am I wrong on that?

No, you can’t deduct hobby losses.

My guess is all the people who didn’t fill out a schedule C or Schedule E last year to report business or self employment income and claimed this (Delk) are probably going to get audited because they don’t have a real business

Back
Top Bottom