***Official Political Discussion Thread***

No one:

Absolutely no one:

The Right & Trump: *Hands beer to Putin*

... etc.

:rofl: :smh:

You can’t make this stuff up... lol

It's not racist to yearn for "a time when white men were unequivocally on top of the national pecking order?"

This is the stuff I've been talking about, which we're expected to stomach for the sake of an assimilationist coalition that prioritizes and centers White grievance under the guise of labor.

sit.gif

You're not quite sure why we're talking about TANF in a discussion about welfare benefits? Really?

Taken in concert with your claim that government needs to impose term limits on "welfare" (without specifying any particular programs), this sounds an awful lot like you're suggesting that the government is doing too much to address the inequities it has created, and Black leaders aren't doing enough.

Is there something wrong with government aid?

Maybe if you didn't support the least diverse administration in recent history we'd have more Black leaders in government.

Taxes are required. Donations are not. It's kind of an important distinction.

Nonprofit contributions suffer at times when public assistance is most urgently needed.

The government will run unprecedented deficits to pay for COVID-19 relief on top of your precious Trump tax cuts.
Will your church go into debt to feed the poor?

No child in the wealthiest society in the history of human civilization should go without food, shelter, and healthcare - if Bill Gates is feeling generous. Sounds "empowering."

What, exactly, are you saying then?

Term limits on what? Government funding of what?

SNAP? TANF? Medicaid? SSI? The EITC? HCVP?

What, exactly, should be "transitioned" away from obligatory public funding and into voluntary private funding?

Which basic necessities should depend primarily upon the whims of the wealthy?

The reason TANF clearly doesn’t make sense is because it already has term limits similar to what I’m advocating.

Typically, the conversation in here has been about SNAP. As I said before, RustyShackleford RustyShackleford said it won’t work basically because he doesn’t believe in individuals/charitable organizations to give at the same levels. I disagree.

This isn’t about wealthy donors. Tons of middle class families will contribute to these causes. Same for churches. This isn’t some foreign concept. It already happens; I simply think that it will increase if the term limits I describe are implemented.

The funding saved with the term limits could be redirected to education to further help empower families in need.

The idea that term limits with a shift to a community-based model means someone doesn’t care about the community is silly imo.

If you don’t trust that the community will do the right thing, just say that.

The reason TANF clearly doesn’t make sense is because it already has term limits similar to what I’m advocating.

Typically, the conversation in here has been about SNAP. As I said before, RustyShackleford RustyShackleford said it won’t work basically because he doesn’t believe in individuals/charitable organizations to give at the same levels. I disagree.

This isn’t about wealthy donors. Tons of middle class families will contribute to these causes. Same for churches. This isn’t some foreign concept. It already happens; I simply think that it will increase if the term limits I describe are implemented.

The funding saved with the term limits could be redirected to education to further help empower families in need.

The idea that term limits with a shift to a community-based model means someone doesn’t care about the community is silly imo.

Here’s the thing you don’t acknowledge. In times of economic downturn such as the one we are in now, by and large most people reduce spending/giving and increase savings. Right now those who are rich are scaling back as much money as we have seen at any point in the last 50 years.

Here is why that’s problematic. Using this downturn as an example, most economists agree this will be a two year downturn and we have had the highest unemployment we have had in the last century. Your proposal is a nuclear bomb of bad things happening all at once. Rich reduce spending, extended unemployment And joblessness which leads to foreclosures and homelessness, followed by a prolonged period of economic downturn because 70% of our GDP is based on discretionary spending.

In situations like we are in now, how well do you think a reduction in spending/giving from the rich and an increase in unemployment are going to bode with term limits on programs such as SNAP which you keep erroneously claiming there are no term limits even though there are?

Also if the community would do the right thing, why do we have homelessness now?

Here’s the thing you don’t acknowledge. In times of economic downturn such as the one we are in now, by and large most people reduce spending/giving and increase savings. Right now those who are rich are scaling back as much money as we have seen at any point in the last 50 years.
Exactly. The data shows that in times of great need, charities are much less reliable than government programs in alleviating the need.

But trying to show that to Delk results in an argument about his beliefs. dwalk31 dwalk31 , nobody can see your beliefs; we can only see these numbers.

We're talking about providing food to Americans in dire need. Why even leave it to chance? Why threaten to cut them off?

We already have data regarding the reliability of donor contributions during economic downturns. That picture is unlikely to improve.
This is your vision for a more just America? This is empowering?
iu

Or perhaps you think the best solution to food deserts is to put Frito-Lay in charge.

Your argument is rife with false dilemmas. What prevents a community from developing their own public food programs that work in tandem with SNAP and support local agriculture? The lack of term limits?
Donations and tax contributions are not mutually exclusive - nor are food assistance programs and education spending.

And you think we should choose between food and education?

giphy.gif

We're talking about providing food to Americans in dire need. Why even leave it to chance? Why threaten to cut them off?

We already have data regarding the reliability of donor contributions during economic downturns. That picture is unlikely to improve.
iu

Or perhaps you think the best solution to food deserts is to put Frito-Lay in charge.

Your argument is rife with false dilemmas. What prevents a community from developing their own public food programs that work in tandem with SNAP and support local agriculture? The lack of term limits?
Donations and tax contributions are not mutually exclusive - nor are food assistance programs and education spending.

giphy.gif

We should add in the fact that the paycheck protection program and EIDL grants that he stole money from has cost about $1.5T this year too.

Exactly. The data shows that in times of great need, charities are much less reliable than government programs in alleviating the need.

But trying to show that to Delk results in an argument about his beliefs. dwalk31 dwalk31 , nobody can see your beliefs; we can only see these numbers.

This is the best response to what I've proposed. Basically my initial post said this is what Rusty responds with. I can't argue the data.

I can only argue that we have no data from the same situation. And like you said, arguing over beliefs is pointless.

The Greatest Wealth Transfer Program in the U.S. for Whites

From 1862 to 1986, the United States government ran a homestead program that gave 2,992,058 white settlers and European immigrants (both documented and undocumented) a minimum of 160 acres of land from the Mississippi River to the West coast of America, including the Alaskan territory. Authorized by the Homestead Act of 1862, this land giveaway program ended for all participating states in 1976 and ended for land awards in Alaska in 1986.

White recipients in the land giveaway program were recruited through a widespread, government-sponsored advertising campaign in newspapers in America and Europe. The land was awarded to applicants who promised to live on it and develop the land for five years. Title to the property vested at the end of this five-year period.

Claimants paid total filing fees of $18 and $1.25 per acre after six-months of residency. These below-market land acquisition rates essentially made the land a free gift to the recipients.

Congress passed additional laws in 1873 that allowed the government to award larger tracts of land to these white settlers and immigrants.

:sick: This country man. Again "lucky that black people are looking for equality and not revenge".

iu

giphy.gif

I don't think you have to choose between education and food. The discussion is about having both.

Your argument is you think that the private side will not meet the requisite contribution thresholds. I just disagree.

Performance of charities in economic downturns is telling. But that doesn't mean that what I'm proposing won't have different results than a general economic downturn. Surely you would give more to those causes than you do now in that situation, right? Or do you think your personal giving will remain the same or decrease?

I often use the example of St. Jude that relies heavily of private donations.

My proposal is that it is in tandem. There are community food banks and charities already. And the government funding would not end. It is still a vital portion, there are just individual lifetime term limits.

You are actually the one creating a false dilemma. I am not saying to get rid of public funding for food to fund education. I am actually saying that we can do both, better.

Side note: I'm super cool with ending mass incarceration to fund reparations for black descendants of slaves in America.

This the level of stupid right now.. wanna guess which party this guy belongs to dwalk31 dwalk31

vs

Here is why that’s problematic. Using this downturn as an example, most economists agree this will be a two year downturn and we have had the highest unemployment we have had in the last century. Your proposal is a nuclear bomb of bad things happening all at once. Rich reduce spending, extended unemployment And joblessness which leads to foreclosures and homelessness, followed by a prolonged period of economic downturn because 70% of our GDP is based on discretionary spending.

In situations like we are in now, how well do you think a reduction in spending/giving from the rich and an increase in unemployment are going to bode with term limits on programs such as SNAP which you keep erroneously claiming there are no term limits even though there are?

Also if the community would do the right thing, why do we have homelessness now?

I addressed the majority of what you said in the post above.

SNAP has term limits that are eliminated by meeting certain work requirements. But you know that, and that isn't what I am discussing.

Why doesn't the government handle homelessness now?

Aside from being a ridiculous question on its face, there are issues surrounding homelessness beyond access to funds, including mental health. But you knew that already too.

The disdain for jay always makes me chuckle; not mad at it.

Was that lady supposed to be countering the idea that support for trump is rooted in racism when she said white men just to revert to when they were unequivocally on top of the pecking order? :rofl::rofl:Show needs new writers.

No basis in any kind of science. :smh::smh:

Trump jr. looks soft as hell. He would’ve went awol at the first opportunity.

I addressed the majority of what you said in the post above.

SNAP has term limits that are eliminated by meeting certain work requirements. But you know that, and that isn't what I am discussing.

Why doesn't the government handle homelessness now?

Aside from being a ridiculous question on its face, there are issues surrounding homelessness beyond access to funds, including mental health. But you knew that already too.

I certainly don't disagree that the US as a whole needs to do a better job funding homeless shelters and mental health initiatives. Republicans in my state have largely defunded mental health institutions to the point that there are now only 3 left in the entire state, but im sure you knew that as you continually vote for it.

38 Million people are on SNAP and 70% of the people on SNAP have children. Your "proposal" basically puts the most vulnerable population in america in the hands of whether or not 1% of american's feel generous that month. Your entire thesis is that people choose to be poor which is absolutely ludicrous

If tax incentives worked as you claim they do, then the 14% reduction in corporate tax rate with the TCJA would have led to a significant increase in wages which would have also reduced that amount of people who qualify for SNAP, and a reduction in need for welfare programs but alas, here we are, wages are rising at the same rate they have been for decades.

Capture.JPG

Back
Top Bottom