***Official Political Discussion Thread***

They keep claiming “radical left”

give the people what they want. I wanna see angry, pissed off by any means Democrats just just like the republicans. Play dirtier than them.

RBG ain’t even been dead for 24 hours and republicans already plotting and blatantly showing their hypocrisy

as I said, I assumed for election purposes they would play it like the ACA and pretend/lie they’re not doing what they’re trying to do

GO: I remember there were rumors of tapes of Trump dropping the n-word that never seemed to materialize. Not that any of his supporters would care.

NC: Trump gets off on using racist terms, especially if there are people around who happen to be of that particular minority. He seems to hate Puerto Ricans the most. I will leave it at that, but his policies after Hurricane Maria came of no surprise to me. He is basically trying to kill them, in my opinion.

GO: Nothing we’ve learned about him these last three years suggests that your opinion is wrong.

Four of the biggest bombshells you often talk about on Twitter are Trump’s incontinence and use of adult diapers; his drug addiction; his STD; and his creepy relationship with his daughter, Ivanka—your former boss.

Let’s take them one at a time. First, incontinence. To play devil’s advocate, why does it matter that he wears adult diapers?

NC: It matters because his incontinence stems from his decades of stimulant abuse and fast food diet. He pretends he’s the model of physical health, when instead his bodily functions are being dictated by his drug addiction—and he tries to cover it up. So it’s evidence of his incompetence, and one of the main reasons for the NDAs. The crew nicknamed CA “The ****show,” because he would soil himself during tapings, often after flying into a rage and cursing out the Script Dept. Because he couldn’t read a three-syllable word.

Ok so I need to have the "what does this all mean" conversation on here because no one in my real life wants to have it for fear of being further bummed out.

So the ACA is basically done. It'll be a 4-4 decision at best which sends it back to the lower court which deemed it unconstitutional. The only hope is Roberts convincing Gorsuch or Kavanaugh which isn't ideal.

In the event everything stays the same (Trump win, Rs maintain majority), well...without going into too much detail: environmental protections, reproductive rights, gay marriage rights, voting rights, healthcare, the power of the presidency (getting rid of term limits?), immigrant rights, tax laws, criminal justice, etc, will all be litigated over the next four years. And none of the decisions will go the way of liberals and progressives.

Stephen Breyer is 82. Clarence Thomas is 72. Both of those seats are in play for the next presidential term.

Did I miss anything?
Sounds about right.

An easy way to find out what might be in jeopardy is to examine Supreme Court rulings that were decided 5-4 with Ginsberg in the majority.
Then cross-reference that with the GOP's priorities.

I’m not so sure the ACA will be struck down, the GOP will be killer at the polls if that happens. Too many people are reliant on it at this point, it would be political suicide.
whats the meaning of polls when the ballots can be controlled? If they can block Blacks from voting, they can certainly block the poor, the old, and all those reliant on the ACA from voting, and when only those in favor of getting rid of the ACA do vote, the GOP can say that the majority of the population supported the repeal of the law, just like they have been claiming they have a mandate for the last four years even though they lost the popular vote AND less than 50% of eligible voters participated in the 2016 election.

I’m not so sure the ACA will be struck down, the GOP will be killer at the polls if that happens. Too many people are reliant on it at this point, it would be political suicide.
Just a year or 2 ago, the ACA was 1 vote away from being fully repealed. If not for the heroic vote by the now deceased Senator John McCain, the ACA would've been gone in 2018.

Striking down the ACA is also the current legal position of the Trump administration. In fact, on July 26 last month, in the middle of this pandemic, the administration filed a brief to the Supreme Court asking to strike down the ACA in its entirety.

The only way I can see the Dems possibly saving the ACA is if they get the trifecta and put the mandate back in place.

But at this point, I say **** it. Just pass a public option, and make the entire program administered by the Federal government.
A multipayer system like what Belgium has is a good way to provide good healthcare while still pleasing those who favor having the option of private insurance or keeping their private insurance granted by their employer.

Honestly I never understood the M4A stans. You'd think a multipayer system is an Orwellian corporate tyranny to these people.
Hardly any countries have a true single-payer healthcare system. Most countries with renowned healthcare systems have multipayer systems.

This should be pretty exciting. The Treasury Dept already confirmed all these leaks are authentic. Apparently the size of the leak is similar to the Panama Papers. The leaks came from the Treasury Department's FinCEN division so the'll contain a lot of Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs), which is a document that FinCEN creates when they suspect possible criminal activity.
The SAR describes the activity that set off red flags to FinCEN investigators and the officials' reasoning for creating the SAR.
That's what makes these leaks so special, they're not simply confidential banking records like the Panama Papers.
Many different press organizations were given access to the leaks and have been working on this. Buzzfeed News, BBC, International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ), ...

5ca8b02f935c7e1baf76dc6047fe5709.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom