***Official Political Discussion Thread***

It's not about legality, it's about CREDIBILITY. If a person has lied over and over even when facts and proof are brought to their attention they keep lying their credibility is shot. Oath or no

we talking about trump?

i gotta ask.. cause......................

the GOP having so much interest in liars and truth is peak 2019

it's so offensive.... legit has me mad as hell

The congressman who threatened Cohen yesterday is reportedly now under investigation by the Florida State Bar.
The now deleted tweet stated:
"Hey @MichaelCohen212, do your wife & father-in-law know about your girlfriends? Maybe tonight would be a good time for that chat. I wonder if she’ll remain faithful when you’re in prison. She’s about to learn a lot..."
https://www.thedailybeast.com/matt-...y-florida-state-bar-over-michael-cohen-threat
Matt Gaetz Under Investigation By Florida State Bar Over Michael Cohen Threat
The Florida congressman tells The Daily Beast he is unaware of the inquiry.

The Florida Bar has opened an investigation into whether Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) violated professional conduct rules by threatening former Trump fixer Michael Cohen ahead of Cohen’s congressional testimony on Wednesday.

The organization, which licenses lawyers to practice in the state, would not disclose details of the investigation, but bar counsel Chuck Hughes confirmed to The Daily Beast that a probe is underway based on a complaint received from a member of the general public.

Reached by text on Wednesday, Gaetz said he had not “seen anything like that.”
Gatez, a licensed Florida attorney and ally of President Donald Trump, came under fire on Tuesday for a tweet that appeared to threaten Cohen with personal retribution over his testimony, which alleged that Trump is a “racist” and a “con-man” who participated in criminal activity during the 2016 presidential campaign.

"Hey @MichaelCohen212,” Gaetz wrote in a since-deleted tweet. “Do your wife & father-in-law know about your girlfriends? Maybe tonight would be a good time for that chat. I wonder if she’ll remain faithful when you’re in prison. She’s about to learn a lot..."

Gaetz initially defended the missive, saying: “This is what it looks like to compete in the marketplace of ideas.” Under pressure, he later apologized, saying “it was NOT my intent to threaten, as some believe I did.”

According to Florida Bar guidelines, once the bar’s grievance committee decides that the alleged conduct might have violated ethics guidelines, attorneys have 15 days to respond to complaints against them. Attorneys for the bar then investigate the matter. If the grievance committee finds probable cause to believe that a violation took place, it then refers its findings to the state supreme court, which then makes a ruling and, if applicable, apply sanctions.

Several lawyers made the argument that the congressman had, indeed, engaged in a form of witness intimidation by suggesting that something nefarious would happen to Cohen’s wife once he went to prison.

“It’s that last line that seems really problematic,” emailed Stephen Vladeck, a professor of law at the University of Texas School of Law, “‘She’s about to learn a lot…’ What is the test implied in that statement, as opposed to the insinuation that as a result of his testimony, his wife is going to come into negative information about him?”

The Florida Bar Association’s rules of professional conduct state that lawyers “should conform to the requirements of the law, both in professional service to clients and in the lawyer’s business and personal affairs” and “should use the law’s procedures only for legitimate purposes and not to harass or intimidate others.”

“While it is a lawyer’s duty, when necessary, to challenge the rectitude of official action, it is also a lawyer’s duty to uphold legal process,” the rules state.

The congressman who threatened Cohen yesterday is reportedly now under investigation by the Florida State Bar.
"Hey @MichaelCohen212, do your wife & father-in-law know about your girlfriends? Maybe tonight would be a good time for that chat. I wonder if she’ll remain faithful when you’re in prison. She’s about to learn a lot..."
https://www.thedailybeast.com/matt-...y-florida-state-bar-over-michael-cohen-threat

The Florida Bar has opened an investigation into whether Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) violated professional conduct rules by threatening former Trump fixer Michael Cohen ahead of Cohen’s congressional testimony on Wednesday.

The organization, which licenses lawyers to practice in the state, would not disclose details of the investigation, but bar counsel Chuck Hughes confirmed to The Daily Beast that a probe is underway based on a complaint received from a member of the general public.

Disbar his ***

It's not about legality, it's about CREDIBILITY. If a person has lied over and over even when facts and proof are brought to their attention they keep lying their credibility is shot. Oath or no

The oath matters. Lying on bank documents matters. Tax fraud matters. Comparing that to a person telling a lie, generally, is disingenious. I assure you that if you are called as a witness lying under oath, bank fraud, and tax fraud will be treated dramatically different than you lying on twitter about dunking on a 10ft goal when it was only 9.5.

being a liar is not a crime of dishonesty. Lying is not illegal, generally. I would bet that you have done it once (or more). Bank fraud, tax fraud, and lying under oath to congress, however, is quite different.
Are you religious? A man of faith?

Cohen knows his credibility is in question, that's why the receipts were brought in to back up what he's saying today.

A random check is proof? When he worked for the person who gave him the check?

Sounds legit...

Are you religious? A man of faith?

Not sure how it matters, but I was raised religious. As I've grown my positions have evolved. I see the value in parables, and how religion (generally) can comfort individuals in times of need.

How about yourself?

Get this smug looking o out the paint
ufdup.png

We will see. Sounds bad from what I've heard.
And yet not one Republican has called for Abrams' resignation, nor did they make a fuss about his testimony to the House Foreign Affairs committee earlier this month.
Several Republicans in the hearing acted like it was the first time a convicted liar testified to Congress, but House Republicans heard testimony, without objection, from Abrams earlier this month.
Abrams was not just testifying as a witness but in his capacity as an active member of the administration, the top US official (other than Pompeo) tasked with directing the US' response to Venezuela.

The oath matters. Lying on bank documents matters. Tax fraud matters. Comparing that to a person telling a lie, generally, is disingenious. I assure you that if you are called as a witness lying under oath, bank fraud, and tax fraud will be treated dramatically different than you lying on twitter about dunking on a 10ft goal when it was only 9.5.

Focus. We talkin' credibility.
It's like a husband tellin' his child that his lie doesn't count because he didn't "pinky swear". A lie is a lie, don't matter what the "promise" is

And yet not one Republican has called for Abrams' resignation, nor did they make a fuss about his testimony to the House Foreign Affairs committee earlier this month.
Several Republicans in the hearing acted like it was the first time a convicted liar testified to Congress, but House Republicans heard testimony, without objection, from Abrams earlier this month.
Abrams was not just testifying as a witness but in his capacity as an active member of the administration, the top US official (other than Pompeo) tasked with directing the US' response to Venezuela.

Abrams was convicted of lying?

Also, do you agree with Omar's comments about not seeing a reason to believe Abrams based on his conviction? Or not? I'm a bit confused of your position.

Back
Top Bottom