***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I don't know anything about it I thought it was just regular people running it.

if it's only rich people idc then.

Late to reply, but in general you need to be somewhat affluent to have the free time just to train for a marathon (even more so for Iron Man).

I’m sure there’s regular people running it, but so you have an idea, the entry fee is $315, so I doubt there’s too many “paycheck to paycheck” folks.

Late to reply, but in general you need to be somewhat affluent to have the free time just to train for a marathon (even more so for Iron Man).

I’m sure there’s regular people running it, but so you have an idea, the entry fee is $315, so I doubt there’s too many “paycheck to paycheck” folks.
There are multiple ways to participate in the NYC Marathon but there are hoops to jump through regardless of the path you take to register. Technically you can’t just up and sign up like a normal race and because so many people are coming from all over the world to participate, I don’t think this is especially cost prohibitive for the typical NYC marathon crowd. They’re more than likely already planning to spend time in NYC beyond just participating in the marathon so this is just $300 less they’ll have to spend in the city. It’s still crappy MTA is trying to pull this without documentation of the $750k figure they’re claiming is a loss

There are multiple ways to participate in the NYC Marathon but there are hoops to jump through regardless of the path you take to register. Technically you can’t just up and sign up like a normal race and because so many people are coming from all over the world to participate, I don’t think this is especially cost prohibitive for the typical NYC marathon crowd. They’re more than likely already planning to spend time in NYC beyond just participating in the marathon so this is just $300 less they’ll have to spend in the city. It’s still crappy MTA is trying to pull this without documentation of the $750k figure they’re claiming is a loss

750 doesn’t seem that absurd: Wiki says they made $417mm in revenue from the bridge in 2017. But I agree transparency would likely help their cause.

And I think the fact that so many participants are flying in to race actually supports both my contentions that the participants are reasonably affluent and that there’s no reason for New Yorkers to subsidize them.

There are about 50k runners, so it’s an extra $15 each or <5% of the entry fee.

my co worker did an iron man, didn't train and did really well and said it was one of the more boring things he's ever done. :lol:

dude is built different

Agreed, with the caveat that you don't necessarily have to be affluent to run marathons, as there are many events with affordable entry fees.

Of course not. However, competing is another thing.

Take soccer for example: Americans managed to turn the cheapest team sport into an upper-middle class game.

I was bussed to a gifted/magnet elementary school in a YT city, on the ride I saw a lot of signs for AYSO that I never saw around my area.

From following Coleman Hughes, he just strikes me as a smart corny black guy who is resentful of young black people generally for not thinking he is cool.

From following Coleman Hughes, he just strikes me as a smart corny black guy who is resentful of young black people generally for not thinking he is cool.
Wait how did this random dude all of a sudden start showing up on Rogan and the View etc.? What has he done to earn anything? It's like a replacement Candace.

Smh, thanks Bibi

Israel has been the least rational state actor in the region for the last two decades. They have consistently put themselves first, even at the expense of their own allies (did they really think that semantics would make people forget that they struck an embassy compound?). I can't say that Americans should be comfortable with them on their side.

Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) signed onto a call by progressive members of Congress for the U.S. to stop transferring weapons to Israel over a strike that killed seven aid workers in Gaza.
Why it matters: It's a significant break with Israel by a long-standing supporter that underscores growing fissures between Democrats and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government.

Driving the news: The letter, led by Reps. Mark Pocan (D-Wisc.), Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) and Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.), was released on Friday with 37 signatures from 37 other Democrats, including Pelosi.

• "In light of the recent strike against aid workers and the ever-worsening humanitarian crisis, we believe it is unjustifiable to approve these weapons transfers," the lawmakers wrote to President Biden and Secretary of State Antony Blinken.
Context: Asked about her signing the letter, Pelosi's office pointed to a statement she released in the aftermath of the World Central Kitchen attack calling for Israel to allow more humanitarian aid into Gaza.

Like I argued before, the Democratic leadership is malleable in ways that the GOP will never be.

Back
Top Bottom