***Official Political Discussion Thread***

So when Biden’s expansive loan forgiveness doesn’t go according to plan it’s the fault of Republicans and we should work to elect Dems because there’s no way Biden could have predicted a challenge from the right.

But when the SC gets a two seat majority majority it’s definitely RBG’s fault for assuming Trump had no chance like just about the entirety of mainstream America.

I’m sure the millions of women who had choice in their family timing for over 40 years ago and have some gratitude for that are just 🤡s. Stay feminist NT…

She made a major tactical mistake att the end of her career, but pretending that she wasn’t an important part of the expansion of women’s equality is just willful ignorance.

So when Biden’s expansive loan forgiveness doesn’t go according to plan it’s the fault of Republicans and we should work to elect Dems because there’s no way Biden could have predicted a challenge from the right.

But when the SC gets a two seat majority majority it’s definitely RBG’s fault for assuming Trump had no chance like just about the entirety of mainstream America.

I’m sure the millions of women who had choice in their family timing for over 40 years ago and have some gratitude for that are just 🤡s. Stay feminist NT…

She made a major tactical mistake att the end of her career, but pretending that she wasn’t an important part of the expansion of women’s equality is just willful ignorance.
This is a silly *** post

Like top tier asinine

No one is dismissing her entire career

People are criticizing her and her defenders for not retiring when President Obama asked her to

She was old, she was a multiple times cancer survivor, the Dems were about to lose the Senate majority

Obama showered her with praise for months, tons of Dems did, and she refused to retire

After seeing what happened with the Warren court, after seeing what happened with Marshall, it was a completely reasonable ask.

She refused, and her defenders used the same "criticizing her for not retiring is sexist" nonsense arguments

And look what happened

That action resulted in Trump (a Republican) appointing a woman who has helped roll back civil rights legislation and Reproductive Rights

The same damn things Obama was trying to avoid.

On her deathbed, she was trying to save face by asking Trump to wait until after the election

Also, two other justices after that were willing to retire to protect the ideological makeup of the court.

Her decision was selfish, and millions have to face the consequences of it.

There should be no sugarcoating that.

Spare me the pearl-clutching

Last edited:

Probably the post of da year. Rusty and Tomi are fighting again so we have to give him grace.
IMG_1361.gif

Her ego got us the court we got today. That’s her legacy.

Save the anti feminist fake outrage. I don’t hate women. If a woman does something moronic and you criticize it doesn’t make you against all women.

RGB will always be an icon to millennial and Gen X affluent white female liberals because her last act of consequence was telling a black person that the point liberal experiment was not making the lives on everyone better... but about her own personal feelings

Fam when I say I just spit out my drink… :lol:

I know too many of these people and have had to say this exact thing quietly for years.

Biden gonna roll out a new student loan forgiveness plan this week.

Not as expansive as the one the Supreme Court shot down, but this one went through rulemaking and hopefully has a better chance at surviving.

However, I believe Roberts will still be hostile to it...

But the proposal, once it is completed, is likely to face legal action from Republican attorneys general, who will again try to convince the courts to block it.
Just hours after the Supreme Court in June 2023 killed his first student loan forgiveness plan
Who-Killed-Hannibal.jpg

What we have with the Democratic coalition is a vast, diverse group that, when wielded effectively and when united, can use electoral politics to improve the quality of life in this country, for most people, relative to the alternative on offer.

The Democratic Grandees, by which I mean electeds (most of them at least), major donors, allies in the media, allies in the courts, and wealthier voters, tend to make the argument that the party should always tack to the center and that by doing so, the Party will attract even more political power, thus preventing a fascist takeover and creating conditions where reforms can slowly but surely give us a more egalitarian country and society.

The Democratic coalition has a lot of marginal voters, voters who will probably not ever vote for the GOP but may simply not vote or vote for a third party that they believe better aligns with their interests. In my view, third party voting is not effect but the marginals BELIEVE it is.

The Grandees alienate the marginals by tacking right but they tell the marginals they MUST vote for Democrats or else things will get even worse for them. The funny thing is that the Grandees' case for unconditionally voting Democratic is actually a strong one, especially in light of the GOP's hard counter majoritarian turn post 2008. The way the marginals see it, the Grandees' big ask comes off as the Grandees, who have everything, telling the marginals, who have nothing, to give up on substantial improvements in their own lives and hope for their own future. Marginals must give up any hope of reparations, affordable housing, debt relief, access to higher education, a UBI, universal amnesty for undocumented people, climate security, access to preventative medicine, transit, job security, etc. etc. in order to stave off fascism, and they must do this every two years, indefinitely.

Meanwhile, the Grandees are or are at least perceived as never having to sacrifice, even when it ultimately helps reactionaries. Grandees get to pick a VP who is donor-friendly and presents no risk of outshining them, Grandees get to compromise with bad faith Republicans because they think it'll make them look more statesman like, Grandees can block dense housing because they don't like the vibe of tall buildings, Grandees can go to a fancy restaurant and violate their own pandemic emergency measures, and Grandees can make the most of their own lifetime appointments to the Courts with no regard for the bigger political picture.

As a result, the marginals feel like they must always subordinate their preferences in an existential and never ending electoral political war while Grandees do whatever the hell they want and lecture everyone else about how you must sacrifice your own political goals for a greater good (even though their lectures aren't actually wrong as a matter of logic and math and political science).

TL;DR version: If you are in a position of privilege and you're not willing to make sacrifices, don't expect people with far less to make sacrifices either.

Last edited:
I really got no issue paying my loan. My problem is the interest. You try and do something good for yourself and the banks screw your like always.

So he’s canceling accrued interest. That’s actually like debt cancelation for many. This should help a lot of people significantly.
I actually brought this up here years ago as a compromise that made sense since even Republicans would have a hard time arguing against it with the public. Literally I have discussed it with Republicans I know and they couldn’t come up with a logical reason to be against it because it neuters the “I paid mine” and “no free ride” arguments.

By making the loans interest free, it allows people to have a realistic path to pay them off. Also for a lot of people forgiving the interest would equal more than the initial proposed 20k and the government could institute changes to the loans they back to make them all interest free.

Republicans can’t argue That anyone isn’t paying what you owe since it’s the interest. A lot of people would be helped right now. In theory if extended going forward it would help a lot of people in the future who can look at a college tuition and know exactly what they will owe. Even the college can’t complain because it doesn’t affect their bottom line. The only people negatively affected of the people who thought buying college debt would be an investment tool, but good luck making those banks look like victims. The republicans will fight this but it’s just another nail in their coffin at this point.

They’ll cape for the banks just watch. Banks are people too. :frown:

Does everyone get this with federal loans? I don’t qualify for save or anything. But I think I got on an income repayment plan a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom