Official Revised LeBron X Thread: Pressures Launch 11/2 Details pg. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
1000000% agree with your statement. I'm just surprised people are more worried that a shoe company, which they can boycott if they chose, than the banks and the financial institutes they are more directly tied into. Priorities are not straight, that is all I'm saying. 
You are correct, and I agree. But here's the thing, not many lower income, then poorly educated communities know anything about the banking system, and this isn't by mistake. This is the reason that they got into trouble with the banks in the first place. All they saw, was that I can get a house!

It's the same thing with these shoes.
The shoes are a little different than the banking system though, you can live life without THESE shoes. It's tough for you to live without using one of the major banks. It's just the convenience that has been built into a lot of aspects of life. But you're spot on with the statement about the house.

It turned pretty random once they proclaimed they were no longer selling the shoes at this particular mall anymore. And then they randomly dropped them on Monday. All while the masses were still there waiting, even though they said they were no longer selling the shoes. (started off as a not selling this weekend to not selling at all straight from the East Coast Nike VP's mouth).

You think random releases will detract people from release issues? You know why Jordans release on a Saturday now? It's so kids don't act like idiots and cut class for sneakers. Nike DID do something a while back. If an item is highly sought after, Nike can pretend it is a random release, but once the shoes hit a store's stock room, people know they're there and will do more stupid things like those kids in Texas that tried to break into a Foot Action via the roof of the mall. From shipping manifests to corporate emails concerning when to "randomly" release them, its not hard to get information on a release from a major chain. Which will lead to more foolery. If one dummy sits outside HOH saying he thinks a shoe will release soon, I guarantee there will be more dummies lining up with him.

I'll say this and leave it at that, since you seem to not understand nothing is 100% but its worth trying. Won't keep going back and forth...

YOU try coming up with solutions to the problems instead of being the guy pointing at every idea and saying how it wont work. Thanks for your suggestions in advance...

All Love

The Galaxy fiasco was a chain reaction. The Galaxy Foams created the thirst for the rest of the Galaxy themed shoes. Nike, malls, stores weren't prepared on how to handle the release. Employees holding pairs and stores marking up the price didn't help the cause either. That type of release with so many shoes shouldn't be at a random time/day considering people knew that All-star weekend would be the time they would release the shoes.

The shoes are a little different than the banking system though, you can live life without THESE shoes. It's tough for you to live without using one of the major banks. It's just the convenience that has been built into a lot of aspects of life. But you're spot on with the statement about the house.
No doubt, but Nike doesn't make people, gullible people, feel that way.

Check this out,
[h1]Nike's LeBron sneakers a case study in guerrilla marketing[/h1]
http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news...-sneakers-a-case-study-in-guerrilla-marketing

Nike kicked up a media  storm last month with news that its new LeBron X+ shoe would be the company's priciest sneakers yet, at an astonishing $315 a pair.

The story, first reported by The Wall Street Journal, spread rapidly on news websites and cable television, gaining added momentum when the NationalUrban League took to the airwaves to chastise Nike for what officials called an “empty status symbol."

What received far less notice: Nike's quiet statement, emailed to some reporters more than 12 hours after the story broke, stating the reported price was inaccurate -- by as much as $135.

It was a classic case of Nike having its cake while eating it too, appearing to manage the news cycle so deftly that one expert told Advertising Age the marketing giant "won't do any advertising for this shoe. They don't need to."

The origin of the story of the $315 shoes is unclear. The Wall Street Journal story mentioned no source for the $315 figure, and if members of Nike’s vast marketing team were involved in development of the story, they left no fingerprints.

In the initial hours after the story was published and made its rounds, Nike officials steadfastly refused to comment on the story, saying they would not confirm the sneaker price, but not denying it either.

Suspicion immediately landed on a network of “sneakerhead” bloggers, enthusiasts who closely follow news of new shoe styles  and don’t necessarily follow traditional journalistic protocols. Some product bloggers, for example, have been known to accept money or free products in exchange for favorable commentary, a practice that has attracted the attention of the Federal Trade Commission, which regulates advertising.

Late in the day the story broke -- well after 9 p.m. ET -- Nike emailed a brief statement to NBC News after declining to comment for hours.

“The reported price of the new LEBRON X is inaccurate,” said the statement sent by spokesman Brian Strong. “The LEBRON X will be launched in the Fall at a suggested retail price (SRP) of $180.”

A separate version with “Nike+ technology  embedded in the shoes” would be marketed for a higher, as-yet undetermined price, the statement continued, adding helpfully: “Nike continues to offer shoes at various price points for consumers. …”

“Yeah we saw that statement, too. We then thought it was all just part of their strategy,” said Dan Lobring, head of public relations at Chicago-based rEvolution, a sports marketing and media services agency. NBC News hadearlier that day  asked rEvolution  to comment on what appeared to be a record-priced, new shoe line.

“What do I think now?" Lobring asked. "I think they killed it on LeBron."

The story of the $315 shoes might not raise eyebrows except that Nike has a long history of successful guerrilla marketing – taking advantage of unconventional channels to reach its core customers, who might be hard to reach through traditional media.

Nike, in fact, is credited with inventing the concept of guerrilla marketing  at the 1996 European Soccer Championships. For that tournament held in London, British sport-clothier Umbro bought the rights to be the official sportswear supplier. Nike, however, gobbled up all the outdoor advertising facades and poster frames near Wembley Park, the venue of the tournament, effectively shutting out the official sponsor.

“No one can control what Nike is leveraging so well -- exploiting the social media channels of the world,” said Raymond Bednar, president of Hyperion Marketing Returns in New York. “They let the free media ‘buzz’ wing their message to the masses at a fraction of the traditional spenders -- who stand in horror and disbelief that they in effect so overpaid for the asset.”

At the London Olympics, Nike freshened the script. While not an official Olympic sponsor, the Beaverton, Ore.-based company outflanked its archrival Adidas  (which reportedly paid $155 million to sponsor the Games) by outfitting more than 400 athletes in its neon-yellow Volt shoes.

Nike’s Strong said the color of those kicks was scientifically selected because the human eye is most sensitive to the yellow-green mix, and our vision has a low sensitivity to red, the color of the London track. The shoes became one of the Olympics' true conversation pieces as some 41 athletes medaled while wearing the Volts.

Meanwhile, Nike's Olympic-esque TV ads, including one spot featuring everyday athletes competing in other Londons around the world, danced dangerously close to an International Olympic Committee charter that bars non-sponsors from running Olympic-specific ads. London Games organizers mulled legal action against Nike but ditched the plan, according to The Associated Press. Legal action likely would have played into Nike’s hands, one of the advantages of guerrilla marketing.

Nike has, however, been forced to apologize for some of its more provocative moves. Last March, around St. Patrick's Day, the company unveiled its new SB "Black and Tan" sneakers -- nicknamed so by consumers who noticed the shoes' resemblance to a favorite Irish beer drink in which stout and ale are combined to form black and brown layers.

Nike formally calls the shoe "the SB Dunk Low" and said it never intended  the other colorful moniker to take over as it did. Nike executives made that clear after learning that the term "Black and Tan" is offensive to some Irish people because it was the name of a ruthless British paramilitary unit dispatched 90 years ago to crush Irish revolutionaries. Said Nike's Strong after the company learned of the misstep: "No offense was intended."

In another possible misstep, Nike sold women's shirts at the 2012 Games thatcarried the glittering words "GOLD DIGGING"  to celebrate the achievements of American women who snared 29 of Team USA's 46 gold medals in London. When some women called the shirts sexist, Nike responded: "The T-shirt uses a phrase in an ironic way that is relevant given it was released just as the world focused on the success of female athletes."

Whether committing honest social blunders or creating calculated controversies, Nike seems to grab more attention to its products with each incident.

Better yet for Nike: The attention usually comes free of charge.

Nike’s success at cutting through the clutter with its unconventional marketing has to raise questions for its more conventional rivals, experts say.

"The core of the question is: What exactly is the value of paying (for) a property like the IOC or the USOC for category sponsorship rights?  What do you really get?  And based upon what you get, what should you really pay?" asked  Bednar, of Hyperion Marketing Returns.

The value of a sports brand -- or of an Olympic sponsorship -- is essentially arbitrary, he said.

"Thus, most sponsors fall back to the comfort of ‘Well, that's what X paid, and they are a huge multinational company, so it must be right.’ All you have to do is lure one stupid -- and I don't use that the term 'stupid' lightly here; I just don't have a more accurate adjective -- major corporation into the paying game, and the rest will follow like the lemmings over the cliff," Bednar said.

“Insanity. Nike is brilliant in avoiding this scam."

Last edited:
No doubt, but Nike doesn't make people, gullible people, feel that way.

Check this out,
[h1]Nike's LeBron sneakers a case study in guerrilla marketing[/h1]
http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news...-sneakers-a-case-study-in-guerrilla-marketing
Man, you shoulda posted this up first instead of the murder of the foams. Great read.

It turned pretty random once they proclaimed they were no longer selling the shoes at this particular mall anymore. And then they randomly dropped them on Monday. All while the masses were still there waiting, even though they said they were no longer selling the shoes. (started off as a not selling this weekend to not selling at all straight from the East Coast Nike VP's mouth).

You think random releases will detract people from release issues? You know why Jordans release on a Saturday now? It's so kids don't act like idiots and cut class for sneakers. Nike DID do something a while back. If an item is highly sought after, Nike can pretend it is a random release, but once the shoes hit a store's stock room, people know they're there and will do more stupid things like those kids in Texas that tried to break into a Foot Action via the roof of the mall. From shipping manifests to corporate emails concerning when to "randomly" release them, its not hard to get information on a release from a major chain. Which will lead to more foolery. If one dummy sits outside HOH saying he thinks a shoe will release soon, I guarantee there will be more dummies lining up with him.

I'll say this and leave it at that, since you seem to not understand nothing is 100% but its worth trying. Won't keep going back and forth...

YOU try coming up with solutions to the problems instead of being the guy pointing at every idea and saying how it wont work. Thanks for your suggestions in advance...

All Love
I'm all for advancement of anything. We should move forward as human beings. I already suggested doing some kind of a size lockdown. But you discarded it while defending random drops and questioning if I was acting a fool.

Random drops are not the solution IMO. With the advent of Social Media, it's tough to keep anything a secret. One tweet, and BAM mad dash. You know how many idiots are going to get hurt trying to dash to a store to get the Yeezy 4's in early morning traffic on a random Wednesday? Why not have people do things in a civilized manner? That's all. RawDogg had the idea right earlier in this thread, again IMO. Nike already changed release policy to 8am for all stores across the board on new releases. Let's see what they try next.

I found this part incredibly interesting...

Suspicion immediately landed on a network of “sneakerhead” bloggers, enthusiasts who closely follow news of new shoe styles  and don’t necessarily follow traditional journalistic protocols. Some product bloggers, for example, have been known to accept money or free products in exchange for favorable commentary, a practice that has attracted the attention of the Federal Trade Commission, which regulates advertising.

Sole Collector?

And the purpose of getting a house is alot different than getting a pair of shoes.

damn i always get bred lebrons, but this years just looks ehh, i felt last year there wasnt enough red trim on the upper, but this years, now its just way too much.. ill try to cop lebron x but for the first time, it primarily wont be the bred colorway..

Yeah everyone says...you cant blame nike, you cant blame MJ or Lebron. But the fact of the matter is the entities that can make change right away are doing nothing. to say "nike didnt force you to camp out" or "Jordan didnt force you to spend you whole check on that shoe" is morally an idiot and you dont understand the concept of what the word means.
one of these things IMO that would make the situation better. (i wont include lowering the cost of the shoes just because i wont ask anyone to take less money than they could get, for anything...resellers included)
1. NIKE PREORDER (six to eight weeks before any release date do a fully paid pre order via NDC) this shouldnt be hard considering that they can have a completely custom shoe to your door in the same amount of time.
2. Random release dates (as stated above) if there is nothing to wait in line for/camp out for...you know the rest.
3. release more quantities of certain shoes. (this applies to Jordan brand especially. they are still the major guilty party of releasing the hottest shoe during the holidays knowing that the supply comes nowhere close to the demand.
Lebron - what kind of world do we live in where even someone as rich and famous as him takes pride in having exclusive one of a kind kicks? MJ never went to the club and took pics of his kicks. if we saw any PE it was because major detective work had to be done. now its like its not enough to be rich, famous...now you have to be rich, famous and have the rub it in your face kicks. i know what you are gonna say already...wtf does that have to do with...etc etc.

bottom line. WHEN LEBRON IS TWEETING A PIC OF SOME ONE OF A KIND EXCLUSIVE FRUITY COLORED MONSTROSITY IT MAKES HYPEBEASTS GO CRAZY. which doesnt help at all.

pretty much 1-3 is perfect solution to fix the reseller problem. lets face it, there are pretty much a lot of idiots out there that will pay ridiculous reseller prices for the new hype. If there people who lease chrome wheels and drive a escalade while living in a shack for sure there will be people who spend ridiculous amounts for a shoe. The buyers of the community cannot fix this problem. only Nike can help.

unless Nike starts doing these ideas, i dont see reseller and camp out problem stopping until people get bored of shoes.

The point of the Random Release date is to prevent campouts. If the release date information is privileged and holds punishment if improperly leaked it will help tremendously with the campout/easy target for robbery factor. I don't think anybody acts like we don't have an idea of 2013 releases but that is because Nike as a company has people leaking info and release date info isn't something secretive. Take Apple for example, they don't tell people the exact release date of their newest product until a week or two before it releases. Holding that information quiet is not impossible if its something the company wants to do. Random Release dates are the beginning of the solution.

Your response makes no sense. It's like your contradicting yourself in your own post. If you say Nike as a company has people leaking info and release date info isn't something secreative. What would be the point of a random release date then, if the information is just going to be leaked by a Nike Rep like it always is.

Your response makes no sense. It's like your contradicting yourself in your own post. If you say Nike as a company has people leaking info and release date info isn't something secreative. What would be the point of a random release date then, if the information is just going to be leaked by a Nike Rep like it always is.

Did you read the whole post or stop at that sentence? I also go on to say...

"Take Apple for example, they don't tell people the exact release date of their newest product until a week or two before it releases. Holding that information quiet is not impossible if its something the company wants to do. Random Release dates are the beginning of the solution."

So where did I contradict myself? Nike as a company doesn't make this info secretive, point is THEY SHOULD like Apple...understand?

I'm all for advancement of anything. We should move forward as human beings. I already suggested doing some kind of a size lockdown. But you discarded it while defending random drops and questioning if I was acting a fool.

Random drops are not the solution IMO. With the advent of Social Media, it's tough to keep anything a secret. One tweet, and BAM mad dash. You know how many idiots are going to get hurt trying to dash to a store to get the Yeezy 4's in early morning traffic on a random Wednesday? Why not have people do things in a civilized manner? That's all. RawDogg had the idea right earlier in this thread, again IMO. Nike already changed release policy to 8am for all stores across the board on new releases. Let's see what they try next.

RawDogg had the right idea...by agreeing with my idea of random releases? :lol:

Apple sure seems to have the ability to hold off on release date info with this society of Social Media secret exposing.

I didn't discard your idea but seems Nike has implemented that already within their own stores so I didn't see a point in bring it up again. Nike can't have other stores do signups or size lockdowns I don't think, but they can keep the release day information quiet until stores put shoes on shelves.

And before you say "well if they cant tell them to do the signup how will they tell them to not leak the release info?" realize Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint all keep the iPhone releases day mum as well which would be the equivalent of a Footlocker, Champs, Footaction, etc to Nike.

i saw that there were 44 new posts in this thread, i got excited thinking there were new pics but it was literally all about how nike releases its shoes..

Make a new thread to talk about that because I don't come in here to hear others opinions on how Nike should do business.. Even thought some of you may have good ideas and made good points, it is not changing anything..

Official LeBron X thread.. not Give Your Opinions On How Nike Should Do Business thread

**Nothing against anyone in here, I agree with a lot of you**

Last edited:

RawDogg had the right idea...by agreeing with my idea of random releases?
laugh.gif

Apple sure seems to have the ability to hold off on release date info with this society of Social Media secret exposing.

I didn't discard your idea but seems Nike has implemented that already within their own stores so I didn't see a point in bring it up again. Nike can't have other stores do signups or size lockdowns I don't think, but they can keep the release day information quiet until stores put shoes on shelves.

And before you say "well if they cant tell them to do the signup how will they tell them to not leak the release info?" realize Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint all keep the iPhone releases day mum as well which would be the equivalent of a Footlocker, Champs, Footaction, etc to Nike.
Thanks for finally replying back to my idea. I don't see why they can't have other stores do it. They've already flexed their muscles and made a mandatory 8am release to all stores everywhere. What's the difference? They can just make FTL/Champs/Eastbay/FA (same company) and FNL do the same Nike preorder either online or at any big name retailer B&M store. Nike only did that method with their Niketowns. I actually liked the way that flowed. If they could implement it at HOH's, it could work.

Nike is pretty good about not leaking info. Honestly, who knew the RD for the Liverpools? I'm sure they can keep stuff under wraps, but once a product hits a stockroom, any of those employees can let anyone know anonymously. Same as everything else. Hell, I remember my local HOH getting drop restock shipments of stuff like Entourage and Sprite VIII's, Penny 1's, Air More Olympics (11 release) etc etc. All were random restocks put out on shelves instantly. If you didn't know someone working there, you would be SOL. Nike would make it even easier for the reseller. My boy at HOH hit me up for those releases and went down and copped 7-10 pairs for NT'ers and shipped them out. Manager at HOH could easily say they randomly dropped a run of shoes and sold out when you randomly weren't there. All while selling behind the curtains to their friends/fam. 

Either way there will be foolishness from employees or from people camping. If they keep releases under wraps until a week before, that give people a week to camp. None of this will end until Sneaker become a fad and people find the next hottest thing. 

Cmon fam, you really need me to spell it out of you? Rawdawg had the right idea with this:

1. NIKE PREORDER (six to eight weeks before any release date do a fully paid pre order via NDC) this shouldnt be hard considering that they can have a completely custom shoe to your door in the same amount of time.  

i saw that there were 44 new posts in this thread, i got excited thinking there were new pics but it was literally all about how nike releases its shoes..

Make a new thread to talk about that because I don't come in here to hear others opinions on how Nike should do business.. Even thought some of you may have good ideas and made good points, it is not changing anything..

Official LeBron X thread.. not Give Your Opinions On How Nike Should Do Business thread

**Nothing against anyone in here, I agree with a lot of you**
Agreed will keep it out of thread from now...

Yeah this has gotten so far off basis. There's a thread called Ask a Nike Employee... That would be perfect for this convo. Let's get back to the X's.

Thanks for finally replying back to my idea. I don't see why they can't have other stores do it. They've already flexed their muscles and made a mandatory 8am release to all stores everywhere. What's the difference? They can just make FTL/Champs/Eastbay/FA (same company) and FNL do the same Nike preorder either online or at any big name retailer B&M store. Nike only did that method with their Niketowns. I actually liked the way that flowed. If they could implement it at HOH's, it could work.

Nike is pretty good about not leaking info. Honestly, who knew the RD for the Liverpools? I'm sure they can keep stuff under wraps, but once a product hits a stockroom, any of those employees can let anyone know anonymously. Same as everything else. Hell, I remember my local HOH getting drop restock shipments of stuff like Entourage and Sprite VIII's, Penny 1's, Air More Olympics (11 release) etc etc. All were random restocks put out on shelves instantly. If you didn't know someone working there, you would be SOL. Nike would make it even easier for the reseller. My boy at HOH hit me up for those releases and went down and copped 7-10 pairs for NT'ers and shipped them out. Manager at HOH could easily say they randomly dropped a run of shoes and sold out when you randomly weren't there. All while selling behind the curtains to their friends/fam. 

Either way there will be foolishness from employees or from people camping. If they keep releases under wraps until a week before, that give people a week to camp. None of this will end until Sneaker become a fad and people find the next hottest thing. 

Cmon fam, you really need me to spell it out of you? Rawdawg had the right idea with this:

The Liverpools are a good and bad example. No mayhem but also not that much of a demand. Nike gave an intial release date tho for Sept 1st then sent a surprise email to retail stores to just release it, perfect Random Release just needs to be tested on a more in demand shoe.

I feel you, got a little annoyed cuz you had me questioning if I was going crazy. I'm like damn I know what I'm saying makes sense why am I not able to relay the message to this guy where he would understand LOL! But I'm back to calm sensible thinking now so it's all good. I suggested Pre Orders months ago but Members shot that down because I guess Nike supposedly tried that with some AJ XI which I don't remember ever happening. But I agreed with the Pre Order notion as well. Even going to the point where they can release the limited shoe than giving people the option to order that same shoe months or so later as of it was a simple custom job. I think that was also mentioned by someone, Rawdogg perhaps. It's kind of a alteration of the increase supply idea. This is all relevant to the Lebron X thread seeing as he is the face of Nike basketball at the moment and his shoe is the most popular and will face alot of the problems we are trying to solve once they start releasing soon. I'm all about progressive thinking, even our debate back and forth may inspire a better idea. It's all Love man. I haven't Personally experienced the RSVP system since my Niketown has been closed since February.

the truth is we are all to blame. but the REAL truth is us as ppl, sneakerheads, consumers, citizens, men, women, whatever... WE are the ones with the power. i keep saying the shoe game is a microcosm of real life and society. we have all these bad things going on and all we do is complain and consume.

we complain about politicians, but we continue to elect these idiots who BLATANTLY show they have no allegiance to us. we continue to believe their lies and we continue to fight amongst each other, while politicians on BOTH SIDES chill and laugh together behind the scenes and destroy the country while simultaneously getting ridiculously rich.

we complain about nike and all the bad they do and this and that, which IS ALL TRUE, but we continue to give them more power by freely handing over to them more and more of our hard earned money. and they are showing their appreciation by giving us more and more gimmicks and worse and worse quality with higher and higher prices. more and more limited products, which cause more and more campouts and the such, and this ultimately can lead to ppl getting killed.

and like ppl have said this has basically been going on since the 80s. and we STILL haven't learned. we have to stop trying to point the finger (although nike, jordan, lebron, kobe, and the rest of them are all to blame as well). we have to accept responsibility. we are the ones who feed the beast, which is nike. and nike feeds the beast which is us.

this is a difficult paradox and i struggle to see how this gets fixed. it takes us to move as ONE COHESIVE UNIT (so to speak) and we in this country in particular have CONTINUOUSLY demonstrated our INABILITY to do so.

/rant

^^my bad yall, after reading the article longstroke posted i HAD to comment. then i read that yall said back on topic and i wrote a ridiculous wall of text. my bad.. :lol:

so anyway, like yall said back on topic. and who is really gonna pay $300 for them blue diamond joints? :nerd: :nerd: i mean, nike is really trying it tho. the are really showing what they think of us the consumer. they think we are total and complete idiots man. :smh:

Last edited:
Very good read up there. Thanks for posting Longstroke...No colorways appeal to me other than the Olympic c/w and a lot of it probably has to do with the significance of the shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom