:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2010-2011 Regular Season Thread-Sing Fired:::

You can have Alex Smith move to a spread offense like the run n shoot all you want but it won't matter if Alex Smith can't throw deep and keeps settling for checkdowns. A spread offense are usually for QB's that can throw deep consistently like Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Bret Farve. A spread offense is not usually run for a QB who is only a game manager who's purpose is not to turn the ball over.

You can have Alex Smith move to a spread offense like the run n shoot all you want but it won't matter if Alex Smith can't throw deep and keeps settling for checkdowns. A spread offense are usually for QB's that can throw deep consistently like Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Bret Farve. A spread offense is not usually run for a QB who is only a game manager who's purpose is not to turn the ball over.

Originally Posted by 100PROOF

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Sing didn't necessarily dodge any of the tough questions, I just think he doesn't have the answers to anything that's going on. Deer in headlights.
He cant come out and say "Hey I wanna keep my job so jimmy had to go" Coaches do this all the time.

If the report about spikes and lewis turn out true, I guess the rat is still leaking info

I understand he wants to keep his job and that he had to dump Raye, but he didn't exactly make himself look like a very credible HC. There might be more doubt in him now than there was just 24 hours ago.

Originally Posted by 100PROOF

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Sing didn't necessarily dodge any of the tough questions, I just think he doesn't have the answers to anything that's going on. Deer in headlights.
He cant come out and say "Hey I wanna keep my job so jimmy had to go" Coaches do this all the time.

If the report about spikes and lewis turn out true, I guess the rat is still leaking info

I understand he wants to keep his job and that he had to dump Raye, but he didn't exactly make himself look like a very credible HC. There might be more doubt in him now than there was just 24 hours ago.

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Originally Posted by acidicality

pimp.gif
I kinda figured this was coming. Raye just sucks. And having the QB Coach as an OC doesn't give Alex the excuse of having a new o-coordinator every X years.

I think it's the right move. Benching Alex is counter-productive because everyone else we have sucks more. Just let Alex run a spread type of offense, since he's had success in it, and see if that makes the offense more productive (he's shown he can parts of last season). Unless we can trade for a better veteran QB that can be good for us right away, there's no need to make a QB change unless Alex stinks it up-and let's be honest, he really hasn't. He's played decent, given who he is. He's not a Pro Bowl QB, but he's not JaMarcus Russell.
Youre right, they arent changing the playbook or system, just making a change to the person who calls the plays. 
99.99% sure you're being sarcastic.
laugh.gif
 But it's true to an extent- he's familiar with him and I'm sure they're not changing it up too much.
No sarcasm at all, i agree with your post

http://www.kffl.com/team/32/nfl
San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Johnson was out of football in 2008, but he spent the year studying the spread attack in college football, reports the Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows. 49ers QB Alex D. Smith and WR Michael Crabtree both excelled in college when running the spread. According to TE Vernon Davis, Johnson seemed like a more creative guy than previous offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, who was fired Monday, Sept. 27.

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=672821-49ers-new-oc-has-experience-in-spread#ixzz10lzjX6HQ

pimp.gif
I kinda figured this was coming. Raye just sucks. And having the QB Coach as an OC doesn't give Alex the excuse of having a new o-coordinator every X years.

I think it's the right move. Benching Alex is counter-productive because everyone else we have sucks more. Just let Alex run a spread type of offense, since he's had success in it, and see if that makes the offense more productive (he's shown he can parts of last season). Unless we can trade for a better veteran QB that can be good for us right away, there's no need to make a QB change unless Alex stinks it up-and let's be honest, he really hasn't. He's played decent, given who he is. He's not a Pro Bowl QB, but he's not JaMarcus Russell.
Youre right, they arent changing the playbook or system, just making a change to the person who calls the plays. 
99.99% sure you're being sarcastic.
laugh.gif
 But it's true to an extent- he's familiar with him and I'm sure they're not changing it up too much.
No sarcasm at all, i agree with your post

http://www.kffl.com/team/32/nfl
San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Johnson was out of football in 2008, but he spent the year studying the spread attack in college football, reports the Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows. 49ers QB Alex D. Smith and WR Michael Crabtree both excelled in college when running the spread. According to TE Vernon Davis, Johnson seemed like a more creative guy than previous offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, who was fired Monday, Sept. 27.

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=672821-49ers-new-oc-has-experience-in-spread#ixzz10lzjX6HQ

Although he never officially has been an offensive coordinator, Johnson was the play caller in the final two games of the Atlanta Falcons 2003 season. Johnson was the team's quarterbacks coach. Both games were Falcons wins, and quarterback Michael Vick finished with two of his highest passer rating that season -- -- 119.2 and 93.

sounds promising.

Although he never officially has been an offensive coordinator, Johnson was the play caller in the final two games of the Atlanta Falcons 2003 season. Johnson was the team's quarterbacks coach. Both games were Falcons wins, and quarterback Michael Vick finished with two of his highest passer rating that season -- -- 119.2 and 93.

sounds promising.

Originally Posted by wxyzfactor

Well someone had to throw to Vernon Davis on those nfl record tying 13 tds he had and if i recall correctly most of those were NOT check down passes
grin.gif

Well someone had to throw to Vernon Davis on those nfl record tying 13 tds he had and if i recall correctly most of those were NOT check down passes
grin.gif

I always thought our play calling was elementary
a screen pass and three straight runs.....come on?
More completions and more yards takes preparation and a flow
I wanna blame smith but this should be his wake up call

I always thought our play calling was elementary
a screen pass and three straight runs.....come on?
More completions and more yards takes preparation and a flow

Originally Posted by draydray87

grin.gif

And if I recall correctly, Smith didn't throw all of those 13 tds to Vernon.  Regardless, that's a terrible argument.  VD finished with 13 tds, so that MUST mean Smith is accurate!

Oh so THIS is the real wake up call.  It doesn't matter that he slept through 6 years worth of wake up calls.  This coach killer was given terrible plays to run but let's not for a second ignore the fact that he didn't execute these given plays. 

grin.gif

And if I recall correctly, Smith didn't throw all of those 13 tds to Vernon.  Regardless, that's a terrible argument.  VD finished with 13 tds, so that MUST mean Smith is accurate!

Oh so THIS is the real wake up call.  It doesn't matter that he slept through 6 years worth of wake up calls.  This coach killer was given terrible plays to run but let's not for a second ignore the fact that he didn't execute these given plays. 

Originally Posted by What up

grin.gif

Not once did i say Smith is accurate. No doubt he is not manning or brees. My point is Smith is not entirely incapable of throwing down field. Its the reason why we switched back from Shaun Hill to Smith in the first place. When given the right opportunity and playcalling can make plays, see the houston game were he came out cold off no football for like a year and throws to VD for like 3 touch downs that half, or more recently the game tying drive against the saints

grin.gif

Not once did i say Smith is accurate. No doubt he is not manning or brees. My point is Smith is not entirely incapable of throwing down field. Its the reason why we switched back from Shaun Hill to Smith in the first place. When given the right opportunity and playcalling can make plays, see the houston game were he came out cold off no football for like a year and throws to VD for like 3 touch downs that half, or more recently the game tying drive against the saints

So you're basing two games in your defense of Smith? And what the *#@$ does "not entirely incapable" even mean? He CAN do it but just once in a blue moon? What exactly can we expect from him moving forward? 1 good drive every 3rd game? (Saints game) 3 TD passes against a bad defense? (Texans game) NFL QB's should make the play not only when the "right opportunity and playcalling" comes around.

So you're basing two games in your defense of Smith? And what the *#@$ does "not entirely incapable" even mean? He CAN do it but just once in a blue moon? What exactly can we expect from him moving forward? 1 good drive every 3rd game? (Saints game) 3 TD passes against a bad defense? (Texans game) NFL QB's should make the play not only when the "right opportunity and playcalling" comes around.

now I don't think Smith is our future, but he's the best option we have right now. I don't understand all the hate for just him. As if he is the only reason why we're 0-3.

now I don't think Smith is our future, but he's the best option we have right now. I don't understand all the hate for just him. As if he is the only reason why we're 0-3.

The problem is, the organization doesn't have the balls to seperate from their mistakes of drafting Smith in the first place. Much like these Smith supporters, they still salivate at the potential. They should have acquired a legit QB a long time ago. So my problem isn't necessarily with Smith, he is who he is, a starter with a back-up's skill-set.

The problem is, the organization doesn't have the balls to seperate from their mistakes of drafting Smith in the first place. Much like these Smith supporters, they still salivate at the potential. They should have acquired a legit QB a long time ago. So my problem isn't necessarily with Smith, he is who he is, a starter with a back-up's skill-set.

i agree with that, but as of right now...what better option do we have? we have to wait until next year because there are no other legit options out there.

i agree with that, but as of right now...what better option do we have? we have to wait until next year because there are no other legit options out there.

The problem is, the organize doesn't have the balls to seperate from their mistakes of drafting Smith in the first place. Much like these Smith supports, they still salivate at the potential. They should have acquired a legit QB a long time ago. So my problem isn't necessarily with Smith, he is who he is, a starter with a back-up's skill-set.
I dont think thats entirely true. I know Sing got over ruled about getting Vick by the GM, but did McCloughlan leave before or after the McNabb trade went down? The reason I ask is that since McC and Nolan are gone no one has any ties to drafting Alex anymore but it was probably too late to get a better option.

I can only hope this is the case because he needs to go as soon as a better option is found(and I hope to god they are looking).

Back
Top Bottom