:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2010-2011 Regular Season Thread-Sing Fired:::

Originally Posted by What up

The problem is, the organize doesn't have the balls to seperate from their mistakes of drafting Smith in the first place. Much like these Smith supports, they still salivate at the potential. They should have acquired a legit QB a long time ago. So my problem isn't necessarily with Smith, he is who he is, a starter with a back-up's skill-set.
I dont think thats entirely true. I know Sing got over ruled about getting Vick by the GM, but did McCloughlan leave before or after the McNabb trade went down? The reason I ask is that since McC and Nolan are gone no one has any ties to drafting Alex anymore but it was probably too late to get a better option.

I can only hope this is the case because he needs to go as soon as a better option is found(and I hope to god they are looking).

The problem is, the organization doesn't have the balls to seperate from their mistakes of drafting Smith in the first place. Much like these Smith supporters, they still salivate at the potential. They should have acquired a legit QB a long time ago. So my problem isn't necessarily with Smith, he is who he is, a starter with a back-up's skill-set.
No one's salivating at Smith's potential to be a great quarterback. He's a game manager type quarterback and that hasn't changed. It's that he should be good enough for the team to do well (given our talent everywhere else) despite the fact he isn't that great.

The problem is, the organization doesn't have the balls to seperate from their mistakes of drafting Smith in the first place. Much like these Smith supporters, they still salivate at the potential. They should have acquired a legit QB a long time ago. So my problem isn't necessarily with Smith, he is who he is, a starter with a back-up's skill-set.
No one's salivating at Smith's potential to be a great quarterback. He's a game manager type quarterback and that hasn't changed. It's that he should be good enough for the team to do well (given our talent everywhere else) despite the fact he isn't that great.

He should be good enough? Is there a deadline for this? 6 years in and he still isn't good enough for this team to do well.

He should be good enough? Is there a deadline for this? 6 years in and he still isn't good enough for this team to do well.

Last year (he didn't start right away), and his 2nd year, he showed what he's capable of. That version of Alex Smith doesn't suck enough to make us suck just because of him.

I agree with you that we can use an upgrade at quarterback given an opportunity, but the 9ers didn't do anything about that the last few years. Until the end of the season, I don't see a scenario where we can get that upgrade and improve dramatically.

Last year (he didn't start right away), and his 2nd year, he showed what he's capable of. That version of Alex Smith doesn't suck enough to make us suck just because of him.

I agree with you that we can use an upgrade at quarterback given an opportunity, but the 9ers didn't do anything about that the last few years. Until the end of the season, I don't see a scenario where we can get that upgrade and improve dramatically.

Originally Posted by draydray87

Originally Posted by wxyzfactor

You can have Alex Smith move to a spread offense like the run n shoot all you want but it won't matter if Alex Smith can't throw deep and keeps settling for checkdowns. A spread offense are usually for QB's that can throw deep consistently like Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Bret Farve. A spread offense is not usually run for a QB who is only a game manager who's purpose is not to turn the ball over.
Well someone had to throw to Vernon Davis on those nfl record tying 13 tds he had and if i recall correctly most of those were NOT check down passes
grin.gif

And if I recall correctly, Smith didn't throw all of those 13 tds to Vernon.  Regardless, that's a terrible argument.  VD finished with 13 tds, so that MUST mean Smith is accurate!

I wanna blame smith but this should be his wake up call
Oh so THIS is the real wake up call.  It doesn't matter that he slept through 6 years worth of wake up calls.  This coach killer was given terrible plays to run but let's not for a second ignore the fact that he didn't execute these given plays. 
Not once did i say Smith is accurate. No doubt he is not manning or brees. My point is Smith is not entirely incapable of throwing down field. Its the reason why we switched back from Shaun Hill to Smith in the first place. When given the right opportunity and playcalling can make plays, see the houston game were he came out cold off no football for like a year and throws to VD for like 3 touch downs that half, or more recently the game tying drive against the saints

-This season is finally showing that Smith is incapable throwing downfield to keep defenses honest.
-The person calling the Houston Game was Jimmy Raye himself
-People forget when Alex Smith was throwing 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions (with Jimmy Raye calling the offense and like the Houston game) that the defense had 2-3 touchdown lead, the defense was also playing a prevent, letting Alex Smith dink and dunk for touchdowns since they had a 2-3 touchdown lead, when Alex Smith actually had to score a touchdown last season to win the game, the defense tightened up forced Alex Smith to throw deep where he became an innacurrate passer.
-The New Orleans game was an anomally in that Gore and the Offensive Line were able to find holes even when New Orleans kept stacking 8 in the box all game.  This opened up the field for Alex Smith, still dinking and dunking, but not throwing deep and still look good in the New Orleans game.
-Alex Smith has settled for checkdowns because he is accurate and good at it even though he is still inaccurate at times.  Smith doesn't throw deep because it shows that he is really an innaccurate passer who's throws are either too high, too low, or behind the reciever.  Smith doesn't want to risk interceptions because he knows he's not an accurate deep passer.

You can have Alex Smith move to a spread offense like the run n shoot all you want but it won't matter if Alex Smith can't throw deep and keeps settling for checkdowns. A spread offense are usually for QB's that can throw deep consistently like Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Bret Farve. A spread offense is not usually run for a QB who is only a game manager who's purpose is not to turn the ball over.
Well someone had to throw to Vernon Davis on those nfl record tying 13 tds he had and if i recall correctly most of those were NOT check down passes
grin.gif

And if I recall correctly, Smith didn't throw all of those 13 tds to Vernon.  Regardless, that's a terrible argument.  VD finished with 13 tds, so that MUST mean Smith is accurate!

I wanna blame smith but this should be his wake up call
Oh so THIS is the real wake up call.  It doesn't matter that he slept through 6 years worth of wake up calls.  This coach killer was given terrible plays to run but let's not for a second ignore the fact that he didn't execute these given plays. 
Not once did i say Smith is accurate. No doubt he is not manning or brees. My point is Smith is not entirely incapable of throwing down field. Its the reason why we switched back from Shaun Hill to Smith in the first place. When given the right opportunity and playcalling can make plays, see the houston game were he came out cold off no football for like a year and throws to VD for like 3 touch downs that half, or more recently the game tying drive against the saints

-This season is finally showing that Smith is incapable throwing downfield to keep defenses honest.
-The person calling the Houston Game was Jimmy Raye himself
-People forget when Alex Smith was throwing 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions (with Jimmy Raye calling the offense and like the Houston game) that the defense had 2-3 touchdown lead, the defense was also playing a prevent, letting Alex Smith dink and dunk for touchdowns since they had a 2-3 touchdown lead, when Alex Smith actually had to score a touchdown last season to win the game, the defense tightened up forced Alex Smith to throw deep where he became an innacurrate passer.
-The New Orleans game was an anomally in that Gore and the Offensive Line were able to find holes even when New Orleans kept stacking 8 in the box all game.  This opened up the field for Alex Smith, still dinking and dunking, but not throwing deep and still look good in the New Orleans game.
-Alex Smith has settled for checkdowns because he is accurate and good at it even though he is still inaccurate at times.  Smith doesn't throw deep because it shows that he is really an innaccurate passer who's throws are either too high, too low, or behind the reciever.  Smith doesn't want to risk interceptions because he knows he's not an accurate deep passer.

Did you guys ever think that maybe Alex checks down a lot because of Raye and Sing? They constantly say how the focal point is getting Gore involved, and I think he was told to check down a lot to get the ball into Gore's hands.

Did you guys ever think that maybe Alex checks down a lot because of Raye and Sing? They constantly say how the focal point is getting Gore involved, and I think he was told to check down a lot to get the ball into Gore's hands.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

As you can see from my post above, I obviously disagree.  Nevertheless, that's the Alexcuse that Alexsexuals are using now.  It's the playcalling coach's, and coordinator's fault, not Alex Smith fault because "they are holding Alex Smith back (I guess from becoming Peyton Manning or Drew Brees".  Well, that's the excuse for this week for why Alex Smith did not perform.

As you can see from my post above, I obviously disagree.  Nevertheless, that's the Alexcuse that Alexsexuals are using now.  It's the playcalling coach's, and coordinator's fault, not Alex Smith fault because "they are holding Alex Smith back (I guess from becoming Peyton Manning or Drew Brees".  Well, that's the excuse for this week for why Alex Smith did not perform.

No check downs are suppose to be a last resort not a first option. Name me a game Alex has ever won us with check downs? Don't worry I'll wait.

No check downs are suppose to be a last resort not a first option. Name me a game Alex has ever won us with check downs? Don't worry I'll wait.

If the primary option is a check down receiver, he should be SELLING THE PLAY. To me, and this is my opinion, he looks down field (as any good QB should) doesn't see anyone wide open, panics, and checks down.

If the primary option is a check down receiver, he should be SELLING THE PLAY. To me, and this is my opinion, he looks down field (as any good QB should) doesn't see anyone wide open, panics, and checks down.

As you can see from my post above, I obviously disagree.  Nevertheless, that's the Alexcuse that Alexsexuals are using now.  It's the playcalling coache's, and coordinator's fault, not Alex Smith fault because "they are holding Alex Smith back (I guess from becoming Peyton Manning or Drew Brees".  Well, that's the excuse for this week for why Alex Smith did not perform.

Learn to have a discussion without having to throw around immature remarks. Grow up kid. 

As you can see from my post above, I obviously disagree.  Nevertheless, that's the Alexcuse that Alexsexuals are using now.  It's the playcalling coache's, and coordinator's fault, not Alex Smith fault because "they are holding Alex Smith back (I guess from becoming Peyton Manning or Drew Brees".  Well, that's the excuse for this week for why Alex Smith did not perform.

Learn to have a discussion without having to throw around immature remarks. Grow up kid. 

This is also what I've noticed and I do agree I was just brining up a possible scenario. He seems to be too jittery in the pocket and panics then checks it down. Hopefully Johnson can implement some spread plays in our offense because that's where Alex seems to thrive. 
I'm against drafting another rookie QB in the draft. I want an experienced vet who can come in and play. I'm tired of waiting for QBs to develop. 

Also, Raye getting fired is all Jed IMO. I doubt Sing made the decision to fire him. 

This is also what I've noticed and I do agree I was just brining up a possible scenario. He seems to be too jittery in the pocket and panics then checks it down. Hopefully Johnson can implement some spread plays in our offense because that's where Alex seems to thrive. 
I'm against drafting another rookie QB in the draft. I want an experienced vet who can come in and play. I'm tired of waiting for QBs to develop. 

Also, Raye getting fired is all Jed IMO. I doubt Sing made the decision to fire him. 

There are some nice QBs in the draft.

Who do you guys like Mallet, Luck or Locker?

There are some nice QBs in the draft.

Who do you guys like Mallet, Luck or Locker?

Locker is vastly overrated. I think Luck is the best, but he'll probably be too drafted too early for us to get.

Locker is vastly overrated. I think Luck is the best, but he'll probably be too drafted too early for us to get.

Back
Top Bottom