:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Offseason Thread [NFC CHAMPIONS]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

we legit fired a top 5 football coach. not top 5 in NFL or in college...

top 5 ON THE PLANET.

Saban, Pete, Hoodie and Meyer are the only coaches walking this earth I would put before Harbaugh.
And sadly, neither would come to SF. 
frown.gif

I really don't know what to expect this off-season. I think Chip would get let go before Baalke and the fans will continue to suffer.

It flew a little bit under the radar yesterday because of Thanksgiving travel, but 49ers GM Trent Baalke joined Ted Robinson and Tim Ryan in the broadcast booth prior to Sunday’s loss to the Dolphins.

Baalke was asked about 2017, his emotions, the defensive scheme, Dolphins coaches developing players, Miami’s football philosophy, the 49ers’s offensive line protections and Vance McDonald.

We’ve been critical of Baalke all season long, but would like to give him this opportunity to have the floor. Here’s the full transcript.

Ted Robinson: How much of (your) time right now, given where the 49ers season is, is devoted to watching next year’s players?

Baalke: “I’ve been watching the college games a lot right now. The free agent market, getting that lined up. So we’re spending a lot of time doing that. We’ll have the scouts come in December. There’s a lot of prep work going into the next two, three months after the season ends.”

Tim Ryan: Trent, this has got to be a grinder for you. Obviously the dialogue of a nine game losing streak…emotionally and mentally, how do you keep yourself up and positive? Because it’s really out of your hands at this point.

Baalke: “I don’t know if you do keep yourself up, or positive. I think you are drained. It’s a draining experience. I feel bad for the fans, I feel bad for a lot of people, the ownership in particular. You know, they give us everything we need and I’ve said that. I’ve gone public with that. If we don’t get it done, put it on me. We’ve got all the resources necessary. Funding has never been an issue at the free agent market, or any other thing that we’ve needed. So, it falls strictly on my shoulders. I’m disappointed, I’m disappointed with the outcome up until now.”

Tim Ryan: Thoughts on the defense the past couple of weeks? The staff will say they haven’t played any better, certainly (two weeks ago) against New England and then in the run stuff with a couple of big pops by LeGarrette Blount. When you watch the tape, I don’t think there’s any question run defense has tightened up over the last couple of games. I just think we need to get out of stunting linebackers, that’s when you give up the big one. Talk about the run defense.

Baalke: “I think the fits have gotten better. We’ve tightened things down, inside the tight end, which has helped, and we needed to. We’ve gotten ourselves in situations where we’ve been stressed, especially at the inside linebacker position and it’s cost us some games. Playing good run defense, discipline fits, you know it, you played it. We’re up against a good running team today again (Miami Dolphins) and a damn good back. We’re going to have to fit things up solid inside.”

Tim Ryan: Talk about Jay Ajayi their running back, a couple of 200-yard games. The No. 1 back in pro football the last five games in a bunch of stats. I think four or five games, they’ve given him 20 plus attempts. Just thoughts on this guy, fifth-round pick out of Boise State.

Baalke: “The only reason he fell in the draft was for medical reasons. (There) was a little uncertainty of how long his career would be. But he certainly held up this season and hopefully he holds up for a long time. He’s an exciting back. I think the Miami staff has done an excellent job to recommitting itself to the run game and put it on that offensive line to do what it needs to do to make that thing go. So they are to be commended for that. We’ve just got to come out, and once again, play strong up front. We’ve got to win the line of scrimmage inside and make him go lateral. That’s your best chance of stopping him.”

Tim Ryan: When you look at Miami, a 1-4 start and of course a five game win streak (later would be six after beating the 49ers). It reminds me of the 49ers three, four years ago where they are going to manage risk with their quarterback, going to run the football and they’re going to play defense.

Baalke: “They do an excellent job of playing complimentary football. They shorten the game, they do what they need to do offensively, they keep their defense off the field as much as they can. They do a good job with field position. They do an excellent job. They have a five game winning streak going and they are playing awfully good football.”

Tim Ryan: In terms of protection, and this is what I wanted to talk to you about, how can we help? And I don’t see a lot of help in terms of helping offensive lineman in protection in this system, in this scheme of Chip Kelly’s. Joshua Garnett, Trent Brown — how can we get them a little bit of help today against Suh and Cameron Wake.

Baalke: “First of all, we have to run the ball effectively on first and second down. We’ve got to be able to run play-action on first and second-down. We’ve got to get first downs on first- and second-down and not wait until third. We’ve got to stay out of third-and-long situations. Teams tend to heat it up a little, bring a little more pressure at you, we’ve got to do a better job of getting the ball out of our hands quickly when they do.”

Tim Ryan: I like Vance McDonald in this game. And when you look at their linebackers they do play defense and they’ll play a lot of that Cover-3 combo coverage with the little trick stuff… You drafted him. McDonald is a matchup problem.

Baalke: Vance has done a real nice job, especially the last four to five games. He’s really coming along and developing into the player we always thought he would. He’s gotten much more consistent, he’s doing a good job blocking. He’s a good all-around football player and he has a chance in this scheme to do some things as you say because the matchups are favorable.

Ryan: Another winnable game, but damn they are hard to win.

Baalke: “They are. The NFL is tough, week-in and week-out. We’ve just got to come out and hopefully put 60 minutes of good football together.”

Last edited:
A win this Sunday can really **** up our draft position. We go from 2 to 3 with a W. It might not seem big, but the difference between getting Myles Garrett could be one pick. The Bears also need a QB. That could be Trubisky. Double whammy.

I am completely against tanking, but this is one game I might make an exception for. 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
Baalke has to go. The decisions of drafting and letting go of players have backfired and he is responsible.

All these ex niners ballin out around the leaque knowing that theycould still be niners :smh:

This is a rare draft where there's a guy at the top that has more upside than Von Miller, Khalil Mack, Justin Houston, etc.

A true, one-of-a-kind game wrecker. 

and we'll completely blow it by winning this sunday. 
sick.gif

Watch the Browns win, too. Lol fml.

Baalke has to go. The decisions of drafting and letting go of players have backfired and he is responsible.

All these ex niners ballin out around the leaque knowing that theycould still be niners
mean.gif
Fair points.

I think one thing that doesn't get discussed nearly enough is Paraag's role in team finances. People forget that we don't have a "conventional" general manager; Paraag and Baalke essentially work as a tandem. One of Paraag's jobs is to assess and value our players. He's the guy that does the contracts, and he absolutely played a pivotal role in letting a bunch of those guys walk.

This is something most fans are clueless to. Baalke may get **** canned, but Paraag will still be here. 
sick.gif
 This biggest parasite in our organization that nobody talks about.

Harbaugh used to take subliminal shots at Paraag in his pressers. He would politic for his players and make a fuss how they deserved to get paid handsomely. Harbaugh hated Paraag. He laughed in Paraag's face when Paraag tried to force him to use his "situational football spreadsheets". 

Last edited:
Stay woke, niner fam.

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/49ers-demise-not-just-the-fault-of-jed-trent-jimmy-tom-and-kap/

So many interesting tidbits on Marathe and his relationship with the Yorks are in Lynch’s story.

— Marathe is the last remaining piece of Donahue’s 49ers legacy. Donahue was known for spending more time in Southern California than in the Bay Area during his tenure as GM, as well as some awful drafts and free agent signings.

— Marathe became buddies with young Jed as both men became more involved with front office decision-making, or were at least present during meetings where such decisions were made.

— Walsh and McVay, only two of the strongest minds in franchise history, didn’t appear to be all that enamored with Marathe’s methods.

— Dr. York was slashing the budget, but he protected Marathe (whose job was — and is — to figure out ways to save the team money, by hiring the right head coaches and keeping a watchful eye on the team’s cap situation).

— Dr. York didn’t let Marathe pick the coach in ’05, but he thought that “over time” he could gain the experience required to be the team’s general manager.

So Cali Steph  @SoCaliSteph

I'm just going to tweet. It's not Jed doing the leaks, it's Paraag.

Paraag never liked Kap. Thought he should represent himself differently and is super close with Florio.

Paraag never liked Kap. Thought he should represent himself differently and is super close with Florio.

All of the sudden you see Kap in a suit and tie. Hmmm. Cause Paraag is the face of the franchise type of guy.

All these ex niners ballin out around the leaque knowing that theycould still be niners :smh:
I'll give you drafting players with acl issues excuse, but not the issue of letting players walk away. I mean who other than Crabtree and maybe aging Gore and Boldin could we have kept that are playing better than their current replacements? What really did this team in was a combination of sudden retirements and the drafting of players with injury issues thus not being able to fill those positions.

A win this Sunday can really **** up our draft position. We go from 2 to 3 with a W. It might not seem big, but the difference between getting Myles Garrett could be one pick. The Bears also need a QB. That could be Trubisky. Double whammy.

I am completely against tanking, but this is one game I might make an exception for. :nerd:  
Been tellin everyone all year. Why **** up our draft position for meaningless wins. I get you play to win every game but cmonnnn Last year Tomsula decided to win a few ot games and we almost got effed outta the top 6 players this draft. Luckily chargers took bosa and cowboys took zeke. Cause I wanted Buckner leading up to the draft.

Last edited:
Fangio should have the Bears defense coached up and ready to go against Kap this week. He probably wants a shutout as an F you to Jed.

garnett brought the nasty over from stanford. he's going to be a very good player moving forward.

kilgore and garnett are forming great chemistry

BbAZISyOCbamY.gif

garnett and kilgore undertaker this fool

tKK7TlcyIqZsk.gif

garnett bodies the DB trying to sneak into the backfield

MHUXmHNbqASu4.gif

we might have to invest a pick into the left guard spot. beadles is doo doo. maybe one of the young guys from last years draft can eventually step up.

the right side should only get better and better with more time together.

Last edited:
glad to see that pick of garnett is panning out well so far...i know he's a different player, but I couldn't help but think of the tackle they picked from Stanford years back, kwame harris. cuzz was more trash than jonathan martin.

btw, who makes it to the probowl to represent the niners?

Dawson? Bowman in a cast? the ghost of football patrick willis?

Lol Dawson for sure.

Kwame Harris 
sick.gif
 Garnett is a totally different player. I  wouldn't be mad if we grabbed another OL in the draft. Need to get back to that 2012 O-line status. 
devil.gif
mad.gif

We’ve gotten ourselves in situations where we’ve been stressed, especially at the inside linebacker position and it’s cost us some games.

On Thursday, Baalke answered questions about his draft in an interview on KNBR, and specifically addressed why he didn’t select an inside linebacker but took three corners.

“You have to look at where the NFL’s going,” he said. “Sixty-seven percent of our time is spent in nickel and dime (coverage). We’re playing a lot more three- and four-wide receiver sets. We’re even playing teams that are going empty (backfield) quite a bit.
“You can never have enough cover people, and as long as you can match good cover people with a good front seven, you’ve got a chance to play excellent defense, and that’s the goal.”

:smh:

glad to see that pick of garnett is panning out well so far...i know he's a different player, but I couldn't help but think of the tackle they picked from Stanford years back, kwame harris. cuzz was more trash than jonathan martin.

Lmao smh kwame is local too for me. Son was just playing to put his hands on dudes

On Thursday, Baalke answered questions about his draft in an interview on KNBR, and specifically addressed why he didn’t select an inside linebacker but took three corners.

“You have to look at where the NFL’s going,” he said. “Sixty-seven percent of our time is spent in nickel and dime (coverage). We’re playing a lot more three- and four-wide receiver sets. We’re even playing teams that are going empty (backfield) quite a bit.
“You can never have enough cover people, and as long as you can match good cover people with a good front seven, you’ve got a chance to play excellent defense, and that’s the goal.”

mean.gif
this year's LB class sucks, so maybe baalke was right not to draft one.

Is there a LB from this year's draft class that is showing out? I can't think of one.

myles jack can't stay healthy, reggie ragland went on IR early, darron lee getting abused in pass coverage, scooby wright is on a freaken practice squad, etc

I think the best LB has been blake martinez and even his performance has been nothing to boast about.

Last edited:
kap's change in demeanor is so refreshing. dude is affable again just like he was in 2012. glad to see him playing well again. 

Last edited:
Speaking of Garnett, he could've caused Kaep's knees to blow out by letting a defender past him on the Celek fumble

Back
Top Bottom