:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Offseason Thread [NFC CHAMPIONS]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Todd McShayVerified account‏@McShay13
Following

More

The more I study Pitt QB Nate Peterman the more I like. Full field read. Fast eyes. Ball is out on time and perfect placement.

dg7iL2aNpAwjm.gif

unless kyle loves one of the QBs, corey davis is my guy at #2. 

there's a significant drop off after him. you have more guys that are specialized in one, maybe two, areas but with more flaws in their game. davis is the total package.

Last edited:
trading picks is such a baalke move, and this is a lynch / shanny team now so i expect them to really go for it.

unless kyle loves one of the QBs, corey davis is my guy at #2. 

there's a significant drop off after him. you have more guys that are specialized in one, maybe two, areas but with more flaws in their game. davis is the total package.
Corey Davis is a must and it's clear the WR position has been a huge need for the Niners, who haven't had a star WR since T.O.

It's time to take the next great one. Davis gonna be a star, I have no doubt in my mind.

I'm apprehensive about them using a #2 pick on a wr without a reliable qb to get him the ball

that's a legit concern. you need the trigger man first and foremost. 

i hope there's someone in this draft that kyle loves. i hate the idea of deferring qb until next year. 

Last edited:
[h1]  [/h1]
[h1]SHANAHAN: 49ERS WILL SHOW PATIENCE AT QB, 'DON’T WANT TO GAMBLE'[/h1]
Coach Kyle Shanahan and general manager John Lynch arrived together with the 49ers under six-year contracts.

The length of those contracts suggests the two top football people atop the organization will be afforded plenty of time to turn the 49ers around.

And Shanahan said Friday morning he and Lynch plan to exercise patience in charting the future at the quarterback position.

“You’re not trying to commit everything to one year,” Shanahan said on KNBR’s “Murph and Mac Show.”

“Yes, you want to win right away. That’s the goal of everybody. But you don’t want to do that at the expense of hurting your future. You don’t want to gamble. You want to be aggressive in everything, but you got to do what’s right. You have to build your team the right way and that’s what I mean by being patient.”

Shanahan added, “If we can build this the right way, it could be right away. It could be in this first year. It could be in the second year. But that depends on what’s available. And what’s available is through trades, it’s through free agency and it’s through the draft. And we’ll explore all three of those.”

The 49ers own the No. 2 overall pick in the draft. But seven weeks before the 49ers have the opportunity to add players through the draft, the start of the new league year on March 9 marks the beginning of free-agent signings and trades.

Quarterbacks Jimmy Garoppolo and Kirk Cousins are among the veteran starters who could become available early in the offseason. Regardless of which veterans the 49ers acquire before the draft, Shanahan said the team will not lock into selecting a quarterback early in the draft.

“If there is a quarterback there that we believe can match that criteria and we believe he can be a franchise quarterback for us, of course, you don’t hesitate on that,” Shanahan said. “But if you don’t see that and there are other good players – if there’s a pass-rusher, a linebacker, if there’s an O-lineman, whatever it is – you need to get the best player possible who can help your team for the next 10 years.

“The worst mistake you can make is you take a guy who isn’t that good of a player or not worthy of that and the expectations change. You put a guy in a position that is really unfair to him and you set your organization back and then you try to commit to a guy who really, it’s unfair to him because he shouldn’t have been put in that position. You have to study these guys hard. “

Shanahan said he and Lynch are continuing to study the players the 49ers already have under contract. That includes Colin Kaepernick, who can opt out of his contract in March and become an unrestricted free agent.

If Kaepernick does not opt out, the 49ers would be expected to release him – whether or not they ultimately wish to re-sign him – to avoid being on the hook for his scheduled $14.9 million pay for the 2017 season.

Shanahan said he has communicated with Kaepernick via text message and figures to meet with him at some point.

“The players are all off,” Shanahan said. “Some guys have randomly stopped by. We have time. It’s their vacation time, except for guys who’ve been rehabbing and stuff. Anybody who stops by, my office is always open and (I’m) available.”

Rumors about trading for Allen Robinson? :nerd:

I wanted to the 9ers to draft him so I wouldn't mind this... Just want to see the asking price

Same trying to find a source for that trade rumor and havent found any reliable one besides some reddit poster

Yea, was actually just different people I read it from... None of the reliable guys

Jags have Hurns and Lee... I can see them parting ways with Allen Robinson, he's probably gonna demand a good amount of money

[h2]Johnathan Hankins, DL[/h2]
5 of 9

35049f127f30ee0d774089d2f4b95139_crop_exact.jpg

Bill Kostroun/Associated Press

The biggest names in the nose tackle market this offseason are Brandon Williams and Dontari Poe, which shouldn't be surprising.

Williams, who turns 28 on Tuesday, was a top-100 pick for the Baltimore Ravens and has become one of the faces of that defense. Poe, the 11th pick of the 2012 draft class, is a two-time Pro Bowler who has run and thrown for touchdowns in recent years.

With that all being said, the biggest steal in this nose tackle class is going to be Johnathan Hankins. Think about a player with his resume: In college, he was an All-American. As a draft prospect, he was a top-50 pick. In the NFL, he's played very well and started the last three seasons. He's also just 24 years old, the age of some 2017 draftees.

The Giants moved Hankins from nose tackle to under tackle in 2016 due to the signing of nose tackle Damon Harrison and the busting of former top-100 pick Jay Bromley. Hankins can play either spot, but at a listed 6'2" and 320 pounds, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which role he should ideally play.

Every scheme in the NFL can utilize him. He's a proven professional and very young. That player should  get a lot of money on the open market, but a combination of playing a bit out of position in 2016 and the other names on the market will keep his price lower than his true value.

Dan Williams signed a four-year, $25 million contract with the Oakland Raiders two offseasons ago. That's not the money New York is paying Harrison or Olivier Vernon or the projected money that Jason Pierre-Paul should get, but Harrison's low end of contract negotiations should never dip below Williams' current deal.

[h2]Melvin Ingram, EDGE[/h2]
6 of 9

4966d74c7c65e705b93d8c33ec40307f_crop_exact.jpg

Denis Poroy/Associated Press

Melvin Ingram is going to get paid, but he could still be a huge value signing.

In 2012, the San Diego Chargers selected Ingram 18th overall, and if you had said a few years ago that he would be one of the best pass-rushers in this free-agency class—if not the  best—people would have called you crazy.

Coming out of South Carolina, there were questions about Ingram's arm length, as they were listed at 31.5 inches  at the combine. In 16 games as a rookie, he only had one sack. In his next two seasons, he played just 10 out of 32 possible games due to injuries, including a torn ACL.

Over the last two years, though, Ingram has become one of the best edge defenders in the league. While Joey Bosa, the team's first-round pick last year, stole the spotlight, the 27-year-old Ingram has slipped under the national radar.

In the last two seasons, the only players league-wide who recorded more sacks than Ingram in both years are Khalil Mack, Chandler Jones, Geno Atkins and Von Miller. Those players are all considered elite or borderline elite. The fact that Ingram may even hit the open market is incredible.

The Los Angeles Chargers should tag him if nothing else. If he does test the open market, Ingram should be paid better than Olivier Vernon, who found an $85 million, five-year deal with the New York Giants in the last free-agency cycle. Look for Ingram to ask for a deal in that range.

Back
Top Bottom