:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Offseason Thread [NFC CHAMPIONS]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its a safe move, and given that Baalke may be next to go if things don't turn around for the 49ers it is probably a smart move for Baalke. 
I'm pretty confident Baalke is not on the hot seat. All the players retiring and Jed's issue with Harbaugh are the reason we're rebuilding IMO.

Baalke has been a top tier GM IMO he's made so many savvy moves in the past I'd bore you if I recalled every single one.

49ers owner is the worst chased away a once in a lifetime coach.

I'm pretty confident Baalke is not on the hot seat. All the players retiring and Jed's issue with Harbaugh are the reason we're rebuilding IMO.

Baalke has been a top tier GM IMO he's made so many savvy moves in the past I'd bore you if I recalled every single one.

49ers owner is the worst chased away a once in a lifetime coach.
Jed York has found a scapegoat each time, even when the problem was him or related to him. He found a scapegoat in Harbaugh and then fired him, the official reason was that Harbaugh had "lost the locker room" but I think we all know it was a personality clash between Harbaugh and York. He then alienated and undermined Kaepernick when he agreed to a team-friendly contract and did not hire/keep the talent that CK had hoped for/been expecting. 

If Baalke doesn't come through with some good draft picks this year I could very well see him being in the hotseat next if he's not already. They've already fired Harbaugh, Tomsula, and to some extent placed a lot of blame on Kaepernick, who will be left to blame next? 

I agree with both of yall, Baalke has been on point with being a GM and at the same time Jed York has always found someone to blame (whether it be Harbaugh, Tomsula, Kaep, Paraag, etc). I doubt Trent is on the chopping block any time soon, Jed seems to trust and be "loyal" to him through and through. If anything happens, I'm sure it'll be Chip who York faults.

I agree with both of yall, Baalke has been on point with being a GM and at the same time Jed York has always found someone to blame (whether it be Harbaugh, Tomsula, Kaep, Paraag, etc). I doubt Trent is on the chopping block any time soon, Jed seems to trust and be "loyal" to him through and through. If anything happens, I'm sure it'll be Chip who York faults.
*Announcer voice*
San Francisco's 4th head coach in 4 years.... Making his first start as HC for the 2017-2018 San Francisco 49ers... We would like to welcome... ________ _______!!!!! 
roll.gif

Last edited:
Baalke ain't going anywhere. Anybody thinking otherwise is clueless.

Last edited:
I guess there's a lot of clueless people out there then... 
roll.gif

**** 49ERS GENERAL SCAPEGOATS (March 21, 2016 version)/

Greg Roman. (Fired Dec. 2014.)

Jim Harbaugh. (Fired Dec. 2014.)

Colin Kaepernick. (Ostracized mid-season 2015, currently in limbo.)

Geep Chryst. (Fired Jan. 3.)

Steve Logan. (Fired Jan. 3.)

Jim Tomsula. (Fired Jan. 3.)

Eric Mangini. (Fired in late January)

—Trent Baalke. Still OK, and reportedly under contract through 2018, but watch out, because TB is now set up to be the Yorks’ main scapegoat if 2016 falls apart.

Baalke knows this team is in the dumps for at least the next season. why dump salary cap space into Boone when he can get an OL in Beadles for half the cost? smart to save money while the team rebuilds. If Beadles plays well, he'll look like a genius for the discount pick up, if he doesn't, it wouldn't be a surprise. I see you Baalke.
so are you saying were going to just tank anf call it quits next season in March haha

if the niners have a bad season, Baalke still gonna stay atleast another year. He is not on a hot seat this year. Like was mention above its not all about players but how the coaches utilize them.

back to the draft....

@jonwin  going to watch tape tonight on all those guys.

off the top of my head:

chris jones and jarran reed stand out to me on that list. both can definitely 2-gap, and Baalke loves his SEC guys. big time space eaters. i could see both of those guys high on baalke's big board.

adolphus washington is another similar type player. huge, athletic, etc.

not going to focus on guys like sheldon day, malliek collins, etc since those guys i would pencil in as 4-3 guys.

one interesting player is andrew billings. i know he wants to play in a 4-3, but man, this guy has crazy strength at such a young age, and he is really quick for a dude his size.

there's so many good interior DL prospects in this draft. hard to keep up with all of them. if you're not at least ~285 lbs(cutting it), don't have 33+ inch arms and play strength is a weakness, good chance you cant play in our scheme. its very difficult to find guys that are big, long, and strong enough to play DE in our base package, while being athletic and quick enough to get after the passer as a pass rusher. aren't many of those human beings walking around. you're usually one or the other.

perfect example is quinton dial

has the desired size, length and strength to play in our base package, eat up double teams and stop the run.

however, use him in our 3rd down and/or nickel/dime packages, and he is an average to below-average interior rusher. not very explosive, agile and don't have many pass rush moves.

aint many cowboys walking this planet.

Last edited:
[h1]Baalke: 'We're a draft-and-develop team'[/h1]
BOCA RATON, Fla. – The 49ers’ biggest splash of free agency officially occurred Tuesday with the signing of guard Zane Beadles.

When asked to describe what the 49ers have done in the first two weeks of free agency, general manager Trent Baalke was succinct.

“Well, we haven’t done much,” he said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings.

The 49ers' inactivity has been predictable, though with approximately $60 million cap space there appeared to be a likelihood the 49ers would be a lot more aggressive than is typically their nature.

The organization has signed just one high-priced free agent on the first day of free agency in Baalke’s five years as general manager. A year ago, the 49ers uncharacteristically signed wide receiver Torrey Smith to a five-year, $40 million contract.

“We’re a draft-and-develop team,” Baalke said. “That’s what we are. And when we have an opportunity to add a player that we feel can help us, we’ve done that in the past.”

And it does not appear the 49ers are going to make any notable acquisitions, either.

Baalke said the 49ers have not had any contact with free-agent quarterback Robert Griffin or his agents. Baalke said the organization’s intent is for Colin Kaepernick to remain on the roster. Cleveland, Denver and the New York Jets – the same teams that spoke to the 49ers about Kaepernick – have shown interest in Griffin.

Said Baalke, “Right now, we're focused on some other things. Will there be a time where we could sit down (with Griffin)? That certainly could happen. But it hasn't happened to this point."

Beadles, 29, is the only player the 49ers have acquired this offseason who is in line for a starting job.

In Beadles’ six-year career, he has played in every game while starting 94 of the 96 games in which he appeared.

“He’s shown durability,” Baalke said. “He’s a leader. He’s a very smart football player, a very technique-sound football player that fits the up-tempo style that we’re looking to play.”

The 49ers relied heavily on young players after a good chunk of the veteran nucleus responsible for three consecutive trips to the NFC Championship game from the 2011-’13 regular seasons was no longer around.

The 49ers staggered to a 5-11 to set in motion the firing of coach Jim Tomsula after one season and the hiring of Chip Kelly.

“The advantage of last season was the number of young players who got quality play time,” Baalke said. “You should hope that now they’re coming back in Year 2 of what they’re doing, they’ve been on an NFL field and they know what they need to do, it’s a jump in their development. It usually is.”

Baalke cited the experience that benefited such young players as Jimmie Ward, Jaquiski Tartt, Arik Armstead, Eli Harold, Trent Brown, Quinton Patton, Blake Bell and punter Bradley Pinion.

“That’s another reason why you don’t keep putting veteran players over the top of the other players,” Baalke said. “You draft for a reason. Young players have to develop. That’s how you develop the next group of core players for your team.”
bolded the last paragraph for emphasis. cant wait to see what all our young bucks can do next season.

Last edited:
Sounds like we're headed down the path of the Green Bay Packers. I'm not opposed to building with what we have, but with this plan it also means Baalke and his team have to do better with their picks.

Draft and develop team?

Cowboy
Ginn
Rogers
Akers
Goodwin
Brooks
Whitner

All key contributors during our better seasons

Although I like what Baalke did the last draft, I still feel like he **** the bed this free agency especially with all the cap space we have... Hopefully he proves me was wrong though and hits this draft

Draft and develop team?

Cowboy
Ginn
Rogers
Akers
Goodwin
Brooks
Whitner

All key contributors during our better seasons

Although I like what Baalke did the last draft, I still feel like he **** the bed this free agency especially with all the cap space we have... Hopefully he proves me was wrong though and hits this draft

^ Aside from Cowboy and maybe Hitner, those were all low key under the radar signings.

Baalke was more saying he doesn't build teams by handing out fat contracts to the top FA's every single year, it was more drafting players and adding complementary players through FA (at the right price).

Once again w/ the free agency, yea we get how w/ all the hype of the cap space we have, lot of people were hoping that 49ers would go ham but there wasn't any franchise changing FA's out there this year that was going to make a difference for us.

Worst thing you can do IMO is throwing out money to players that probably won't live up to it just for sake of doing it.

Last edited:

On if he's spoken to any players besides Staley, Kilgore:

I haven't spoke to any of those guys yet. I got a text from Blaine [49ers QB Blaine Gabbert] just saying, "Welcome to the team, congratulations". Other than that, I haven't had much contact with anyone else  yet.
sunshine, man. 
pimp.gif
 ready to lead the squad.

Last edited:
^ Aside from Cowboy and maybe Hitner, those were all low key under the radar signings.

Baalke was more saying he doesn't build teams by handing out fat contracts to the top FA's every single year, it was more drafting players and adding complementary players through FA (at the right price).

Once again w/ the free agency, yea we get how w/ all the hype of the cap space we have, lot of people were hoping that 49ers would go ham but there wasn't any franchise changing FA's out there this year that was going to make a difference for us.

Worst thing you can do IMO is throwing out money to players that probably won't live up to it just for sake of doing it.
The big name free agent that offseason 2008 was Justin Smith and the niners landed him but Mcloughan was the GM at the time. Really last time niners spent in the offseason.

I was saying in general about the free agent signings... Sometimes you might have to overpay to get players, its part of the game

If the 9ers keep sitting on all this cap space year after year, are we gonna be happy that Jed is saving his money?

Now if people wanna say that there wasn't a free agent this year that would be an immediate impact, then they're delusional

aside from kelechi osemele, who was worth overpaying?

bruce irvin averages 5 sacks a year; olivier vernon had 7 sacks last year. he got paid JJ Watt money for Ahmad Brooks production. hardly impact players.

Malik Jackson benefited from playing next to two future hall of famers in Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware. he saw one on ones all day.. This dude was a 5th round pick. Looks like a system player and a byproduct of his supporting cast to me.

Sean Smith is FAR from a lockdown corner. I saw this dude get TORCHED last year. overpay him to see mediocre results while you're taking away time from one of our young guys that need it.

who else? all these guys are good supplemental players. right now, we are building a core. what's the point of having some good BBQ sauce if you aint got any ribs?

Last edited:
i wanted alex mack, mo wilk or kelechi osemele. i thought those were the only players available worth overpaying for. all three are real impact players, but two are interior linemen, which smart GMs historically dont overpay for.

alex mack wanted to specifically play with kyle shanahan

mo wilk got tagged

kelechi osemele got paid LT money to play guard for a team that is on the come up.

Last edited:
Was just gonna say pretty much it was Mack and Osemele... But we didn't even attempt to even throw some type of money

Back
Top Bottom