:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [NFC CHAMPIONS]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am honestly baffled that there are so many people, especially Niner fans who are upset at the idea that Kap says he wants $18M a year.  Would I prefer he extends for a little bit less?  Sure.  But people's displeasure is directed in the complete wrong direction IMO.  When Kap is saying he wants $18M a year, he is basically asking for Jay Cutler money.  Are you guys trying to say that he doesnt deserve to make as much money as Cutler does?

Be mad that QBs make so much money.  Dont be mad that our QB is asking for market value. 

You would think that after dealing with a decade of inept QB play before Kap arrived, some of you NIner fans would be a little more accepting of Kap's asking price.

Dland, that's not the point... Why come out and say you want me to be cap friendly because you know the team has other priorities...

Now he wants $18mil/season, to me and most of us that isn't so cap friendly... We got Aldon Smith & Crabby to worry about as well... Its going to be fun to see how this works out...

I don't have a problem giving kap 18 but not right now. I need to see more growth. Right now, no, he ain't getting no jay cutler money especially with the franchise tag being 16mil. He showed lil to no growth this season and he's still under contract so I'd just play it out if he's set on 18.

Last edited:

I am honestly baffled that there are so many people, especially Niner fans who are upset at the idea that Kap says he wants $18M a year.  Would I prefer he extends for a little bit less?  Sure.  But people's displeasure is directed in the complete wrong direction IMO.  When Kap is saying he wants $18M a year, he is basically asking for Jay Cutler money.  Are you guys trying to say that he doesnt deserve to make as much money as Cutler does?

Be mad that QBs make so much money.  Dont be mad that our QB is asking for market value. 

You would think that after dealing with a decade of inept QB play before Kap arrived, some of you NIner fans would be a little more accepting of Kap's asking price.
Is that you, Colin?

Is that you, Colin?

via ESPNinsider

Kaepernick's contract expectations

Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

Considering that Colin Kaepernick helped lead the San Francisco 49ers to a Super Bowl two years ago and the NFC Championship Game this season, it's no surprise that he is looking for a serious boost in pay. He is due less than $975K in 2014, the final year of his rookie deal, but is setting his sights on a massive contract extension.

"The 49ers and quarterback Colin Kaepernick began discussions on a new contract extension at the combine, and sources tell us that the three-year veteran wants a deal similar or slightly better than the ones given to Jay Cutler ($18.1 million per year, $38 million guarantee) and Tony Romo ($18 million per year, $40 million guarantee)," wrote Ben Volin of the Boston Globe.

"While no one expects the 49ers to let Kaepernick go anywhere, we hear that if the 49ers don’t get in Kaepernick’s range, the quarterback would be willing to play the 2014 season at his base salary of $973,766 and postpone negotiations until next offseason instead of signing a below-market deal."

Kaepernick would hold some extra leverage next season, assuming his '14 campaign goes well. If the Niners and Kaepernick are unable to work out an extension after the '14 campaign, the Niners would have to choose between using the franchise tag or risk letting the free-agent market drive his price up to an untenable level.

Further clouding the 49ers' ability to get Kaepernick locked up this offseason is the well-documented friction between coach Jim Harbaugh and the Niners front office:

Bill Williamson
More clouds form around 49ers' brass

"The 49ers want to extend quarterback Colin Kaepernick to a long-term contract. Kaepernick will likely re-sign with the 49ers for the long term if the price is right, but I’m sure it would be easier to get his deal done if there were no speculation about the men who are supposed build the team around him."

Nothing most of us dont already know, but posted for those who dont frequent the thread.

Last edited:

i'm not mad that kaep's trynna eat. the dude's been ballin out on a rookie contract worth pennies compared to other players (*ahem*matt flynn) but he damn well knows that signing for that much means potentially losing a key player due to cap space. it's not my money, so anyone could say that "well if you were in his position, you'd want as much as you could get," that's understandable. but as a fan, i better see him win a SB before he gets that flacco money. kaep's been good, but we'd be lying if we said that he hasn't gotten this far without riding on the coattails of an incredible defense that has masked the offensive deficiencies of this team.

this $18mil a year talk may all just be hearsay, but even if it's true, maybe it's just a figure that kaep's camp is putting out there to get the conversation started. i doubt he gets signed for that much, but wouldnt be surprised if it's somewhere in that neighborhood.

i'm not mad that kaep's trynna eat. the dude's been ballin out on a rookie contract worth pennies compared to other players (*ahem*matt flynn) but he damn well knows that signing for that much means potentially losing a key player due to cap space. it's not my money, so anyone could say that "well if you were in his position, you'd want as much as you could get," that's understandable. but as a fan, i better see him win a SB before he gets that flacco money. kaep's been good, but we'd be lying if we said that he hasn't gotten this far without riding on the coattails of an incredible defense that has masked the offensive deficiencies of this team.

this $18mil a year talk may all just be hearsay, but even if it's true, maybe it's just a figure that kaep's camp is putting out there to get the conversation started. i doubt he gets signed for that much, but wouldnt be surprised if it's somewhere in that neighborhood.
agreed. cant trust the media with all the BS theyre spewing right now especially after all the harbaugh crap that came out which harbaugh shot down all of it today.

Last edited:
if there was no such thing as a salary cap, i'd be glad to see kaep get what he feels he deserves. with crabs and aldon's contracts looming, maybe the way around the cap issue is giving kaep a handsome signing bonus so that they can keep his contract reasonable.

if there was no such thing as a salary cap, i'd be glad to see kaep get what he feels he deserves. with crabs and aldon's contracts looming, maybe the way around the cap issue is giving kaep a handsome signing bonus so that they can keep his contract reasonable.

As well as Iupati, Gore, Cully, Bruce Miller, Hunter and Snyder :x

I wouldn't be surprised to see both Miller and Hunter extended this offseason. Gore is at the end and Iupati will be a cap casualty. Snyder is a non-factor dude can be easily replaced in the draft. Aldon has a team option after this next season so we dont have to extend him this offseason but he is definitely going to get paid.

Last edited:

:wow: the problems associated with good drafting/coaching

definitely needa see Hunter and Iupati back. although his numbers haven't dipped significantly, I have a feeling that Frank won't be signed to an astronomical contract. otherwise, as much as i'd hate to see it, i could see them letting frank walk.

would i be wrong to say that the faithful want to see Frank get his ring more than they do any other player on this team??

:wow: the problems associated with good drafting/coaching

definitely needa see Hunter and Iupati back. although his numbers haven't dipped significantly, I have a feeling that Frank won't be signed to an astronomical contract. otherwise, as much as i'd hate to see it, i could see them letting frank walk.

would i be wrong to say that the faithful want to see Frank get his ring more than they do any other player on this team??
1. Gore
2. Vernon
3. Willis
4. Cowboy

Those are the guys I wanna see us win one for above everyone else.

As well as Iupati, Gore, Cully, Bruce Miller, Hunter and Snyder
sick.gif
I really think people are overreacting to the cap space idea.  With the cap expected to increase in the coming years, I dont see why everyone thinks that we wont be able to sign everyone.  Some of the guys you just listed arent going to command big money.

Iupati is good.  But he wasn't nearly as good this year as in the past.  We will see if that was due to him being hurt or if he is regressing.  You listing Gore is laughable to be honest with you.  He will either restructure eventually or be cut.  He is one of my ATF players, but that is the harsh reality.  Miller, Hunter and Snyder will NOT require big money, so I dont even understand why you listed them.  Cully is coming back from a major injury, so I dont know that he is going to require a big extension either.

I predict Iupati will be the best guard in the league next year and easily price himself. He was hurt all year and this guy is way too good to drop off like that. 

Last edited:

I really think people are overreacting to the cap space idea.  With the cap expected to increase in the coming years, I dont see why everyone thinks that we wont be able to sign everyone.  Some of the guys you just listed arent going to command big money.

Iupati is good.  But he wasn't nearly as good this year as in the past.  We will see if that was due to him being hurt or if he is regressing.  You listing Gore is laughable to be honest with you.  He will either restructure eventually or be cut.  He is one of my ATF players, but that is the harsh reality.  Miller, Hunter and Snyder will NOT require big money, so I dont even understand why you listed them.  Cully is coming back from a major injury, so I dont know that he is going to require a big extension either.

Crab, Aldon, Iupati are all going to require a pretty penny. This isn't baseball, there's a salary cap. Those 3 guys are top 10 at their position and will get paid accordingly, whether its by us or someone else.

You also know teams will overpay like a mug for a player like one of those 3? Maybe it's just me, but yeah I'm a bit worried.

Edit-- This is assuming that the reports are correct AND is what Kap will get (~18mil/year)

Last edited:
Honestly I am not even worried. Draft is DEEEEEEEEP in wide receivers so aslong as we draft good we'll be fine. 

Last edited:
Honestly I am not even worried. Draft is DEEEEEEEEP in wide receivers so aslong as we draft good we'll be fine. 

nevertheless, i'd hate to lose crabs considering how important he is to this offense and kaep

Harbaugh came through airport security today he was excited when Boldin re-signed. Also I don't think him and Balke are at odds he seemed very relaxed despite the rumors. Side note he wears the same thing he wears as if he coaches :lol: had 49ers gear from his bag to his crew neck . He ain't going anywhere.

Kaep looks Crabs way like ~95% of the time so I'm sure it'll be tough for him to leave that :lol:

That's because Crabtree is #1 in the progression most of the time. 
eyes.gif
 Same reason Boldin became his go to when Crabtree went down. Boldin was the first guy in most plays.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom