OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

I have some GOOG, do you guys think it can continue its run up or should I sell?

Also - been reading a lot of good news on TSLA - anyone jumping in anytime soon or already have a position? 

Out on my aapl shares @ 447. Nice for a $765 gain. Coulda timed it better, but oh well. 

What are you guys up to?

It worked out in your favor congrats. But you exposed yourself to too much risk holding through earnings. But I would've still held at this point, it looks strong right now. Nothing wrong with taking profit though.

Last edited:
I have some GOOG, do you guys think it can continue its run up or should I sell?

Also - been reading a lot of good news on TSLA - anyone jumping in anytime soon or already have a position? 

Expect some profit taking at or around 840, it might form a double top or it can just as easily slice through and power higher.

Last edited:
Bought 100 shares of iTalk (TALK) last week with some graduation money, been doing really well so far

Can a numbers guy, please help me out with something.

I'm trying to understand why to buy AMAZON.  I really, really, really want to love this stock.  I mean, I love the company and think the business model is great...but I, for the life of me, can not understand why the stock is trading at such a high P/E when it has yet to turn its revenue into bottom-line earnings or Free Cash Flow.

The revenue growth, year-over-year is fantastic (almost 50%), but the company's margins are terrible.  So even if you want to say on a PEG ratio its fairly valued, I still don't get it.  I mean, so the stock might grow its revenue to justify its stock price....but what does it even matter if never shows in the earnings?

What am I missing?  Is the company expected to increase profitability after it has driven every other retailer out of business, and if so, how?

(FYI: I'm not a trader...I'm in it for the long haul)

Last edited:
Can a numbers guy, please help me out with something.

I'm trying to understand why to buy AMAZON.  I really, really, really want to love this stock.  I mean, I love the company and think the business model is great...but I, for the life of me, can not understand why the stock is trading at such a high P/E when it has yet to turn its revenue into bottom-line earnings or Free Cash Flow.

The revenue growth, year-over-year is fantastic (almost 50%), but the company's margins are terrible.  So even if you want to say on a PEG ratio its fairly valued, I still don't get it.  I mean, so the stock might grow its revenue to justify its stock price....but what does it even matter if never shows in the earnings?

What am I missing?  Is the company expected to increase profitability after it has driven every other retailer out of business, and if so, how?

(FYI: I'm not a trader...I'm in it for the long haul)

Stock prices are arbitrary. Things don't always make sense.

Are you saying the yoy growth has been 50% (ie historical)? If i was building a dcf that'd be way high.

How is it against its peers? Perhaps trading at a premium in comparison.

Interesting thing I read last night was the "silent" dilution of their prime service. Wondering if that means more for their local delivery in pricing?

^ I botched that number, sorry. Wrong key. I meant to type 30% and that's just year-over-year from 2011 to 2012.

I just can't wrap my head around the value though. Like FD said though...its all arbitrary.  I know growth stocks aren't always cheap or fair value on typical valuation methods, but even knowing that I feel that the market is giving Jeff Bezos an incredible amount of leeway, when it comes to turning revenue into earnings.  I mean, at the moment, the stock is propped up by nothing by hopes for the future.

Also, it's kind of hard to compare amzn to anybody else.  Who really operates like they do?  You can't use traditional Brick-and-mortar retailers, and there aren't really any other one-stop-shopping online retailers with their scope and magnitude.

I think I'm over it though.  I'll wait for the day where it trades more in line with its fundamentals and when they start actually generating consistent EPS growth.  I'm sure to miss out on the way up...probably substantially so, if the madness continues. But it is what it is.

Going to spend a week researching Mastercard.  Early glances at financial statements make it look very promising as a potential core holding for the long run.

thinking of getting into the market with some spare cash i have.
I have a pension and 401K. So this will be mainly to learn and maybe pick up a hobby.
Any recommendation on sites to check to for beginners? Also recommendations on what online service to buy stocks from.

Well technical indicators are looking like I was wrong about Apple. Looks like an inverse h&s pattern forming with the neckline about 465-466. MACD has a positive divergence. The stock closed above its 20day and 50day moving averages today. I will buy on a close over the neckline or on a pullback to 420-425 as long as 419 supports. Pattern has 80 point depth (385-465) so tack 80 onto 465 for 545 profit target. I would take half off around 504-505 (gap fill).

The solars have been crazy hot. SCTY, SPWR, FSLR sick moves. Even the junk solars have made some big moves TSL, RSOL, JASO. STP has been lagging, a day trade looks good over .88 tomorrow.

This bull market has been insane. This is the first time I have experienced anything like this :smokin

Look at Fannie Mae FNMA.. this thing could really go over 1.60 tomorrow for a nice day trade. Longer term who knows what the government will do with the company, but I'm long some at 1.09 for a swing trade. Volume has picked up over the last few months and the technical indicators are all bullish. Last quarter, they posted 2nd biggest profit in company history and sent the government nearly $60bln. All bailout money could be payed back within 3-6 months at this rate. They are selling $2bln worth of benchmark bills on Wednesday. I'm not sure what this means for the stock price. Freddie Mac FMCC is also worth a look.

I've been watching X, FCX, BUD and NKE - thinking about buying and holding. Anyone been eyeing any of the same? Thoughts?

AAPL is finally ready to break out IMO. Chart looks great. Monthly MACDh is going to have bullish divergence barring a collapse next week. Weekly EMA13 and SMA20 are going to have a bullish cross next week. Daily SMA20 and SMA50 had a bullish cross last week. Continuing bullish divergence on the daily and weekly MACDh. Mid channel support on the daily and weekly for the first time since the drop began. Pullback and support at exactly the region myself and many others were looking for.

There's a lot more to name, but basically the technicals look awesome. I bought Apr 575/600 BCS last Friday for 2.15. First long purchase without the intention for a quick flip since December.

^personally I think you missed the train... I know a few people holding positions that were bought around the $3 range... So much for making a quick buck.. But long term might be a different story.

I've been playing around with some mining stocks and bought 1800 yri @ 11.03 and sold @ 11.35 for a quick profit.

Fannie Mae - I think there will be a red day Tuesday or Wednesday, which will present a good buying opportunity imo. I took some profits near 3 from 1.09. Holding the rest with stop at 1.99. The government will not just shut down the business. It doesn't make sense. They made $60bln for Uncle Sam last quarter. As long as the company is under government control, the company is essentially worthless to shareholders. FNMA is just a trading avenue right now.

Apple - chart looks pretty bullish to me. I'm buying on the break of the neckline (465-466) or on pullbacks toward 420 area support in anticipation of the break

Last edited:
Fannie Mae - I think there will be a red day Tuesday or Wednesday, which will present a good buying opportunity imo. I took some profits near 3 from 1.09. Holding the rest with stop at 1.99. The government will not just shut down the business. It doesn't make sense. They made $60bln for Uncle Sam last quarter. As long as the company is under government control, the company is essentially worthless to shareholders. FNMA is just a trading avenue right now.

Apple - chart looks pretty bullish to me. I'm buying on the break of the neckline (465-466) or on pullbacks toward 420 area support in anticipation of the break

I wish I knew how to play the market with all these stats and charts :smh:

I had no idea what I was doing, but I had some cash lying around and threw it onto TSLA around ~$87. Made a cool $500 in a matter of days :lol:

I'll check out FNMA & AAPL in the future. Keep posting :pimp:

It's never too late to learn. "Class is always in session"

What are your goals with investing?

Side cash I guess. I'm 26 and planning on going back to school. No kids. I'd say I have about $1000/mo to play with after bills.

I've maxed out my IRA for the year, employer has a 4% match for 401k which I'm taking advantage of, sitting on enough cash in case of an emergency (i.e. losing my job).

Being as how I'm entirely new to the game, and don't really have the time during the workday to monitor the market, I'd like to just throw the majority (70%?) into an ETF/mutual fund and turn away. The rest I'd feel comfortable gambling with. I have Vanguard if that matters.

Any thoughts on F? My buddy is pretty big on them and expects them to hit $25 (not sure how he came up with the idea).

If you want a no-effort way to trade, look up the AAPL poor man's algorithm. Since I'm staying residency in a month and won't have time to trade anymore, I'm going to use this strategy to trade around my core positions and try to generate more cash flow.

Back
Top Bottom