Official Stock Market & Economy Thread

I asked my Finance teacher some general questions regarding ETFs because I wanted a little more information. Thought you guys might want to see this.

His reply:

1. The expense ratio of an ETF or a mutual fund is annual fund operating expenses divided by the fund's average net assets during the year. And yes, bydefinition, it represents expenses for holding the fund for an entire year.

2. Since ETFs trade as stocks, you pay commission on them as you would on a stock. In contrast, no-load mutual funds do not charge any commission for tradinglong-term shares (most funds define these as shares held for 6months or more, though the definition of long-term varies from fund to fund)

3. I know of no tax rule that says that taxes are higher for ETFs: It may be that some mutual funds, such as VMCAX, minimize realization of capital gains anddividends, and an ETF may have less flexibility in that regard. This is a question that an accountant will be able to answer better.

4. If an ETF holds a long position in derivatives such as options, which have a fixed term to maturity, then the ETF value, like that of options in it, willdecline with the passage of time. Without knowing the context in which the phrase "decay" was used, that is the best that I can say. I understandthat both FAS and FAZ do have derivatives, but you can confirm this by consulting their prospectus, which should be available on line.

Originally Posted by Banks2Pierce

I bet that by 2/10 that Dow is down to 6800, at least.

eyes.gif
ok nostradamus.

Originally Posted by nicefro

Originally Posted by nnarum

Why do you keep bumping?

so that this thread doesn't disappear.
I'm sure the regulars in here wouldn't allow it. Without the bumps. There isn't much to talk about on the weekend when the market isclosed...

Why do you keep bumping?

I'm sure the regulars in here wouldn't allow it. Without the bumps. There isn't much to talk about on the weekend when the market is closed...
Futures start trading on Sunday. Anyway thanks for letting me know.
smile.gif

Why do you keep bumping?

I'm sure the regulars in here wouldn't allow it. Without the bumps. There isn't much to talk about on the weekend when the market is closed...
Futures start trading on Sunday. Anyway thanks for letting me know.
smile.gif
Either way... I still think that the regulars would keep it alive minus your bumps.

either way, our conversation has kept it alive for like 30 minutes.

i am a regular.

nicefro, I know what futures are, I just would not be able to explain to someone if they asked me about them.

Explain to me what they are.

looks like we're gonna break down hard today... also looks like we're gonna sell off to 7500 and bounce right back after all. turnaround tuesday???

futures are looking not so good, skf faz up big pre-market. I don't know what to do, financials look interesting at these prices. I think I'm going tomove into more gold (GG, IAG) and X, SCHN this week. What do you think DKY? How about FAS at close? What are your positions

what are you talking about?

how is skf higher than faz in premarket?

shouldn't faz be roughly 133% of skf?

I think I am going to look into getting into FAS at some point this afternoon at a nice jumping off point. We are at our breaking point of around 7900 wheremany people believe the Fed won't allow us to break. Let's see where we go from here...

Originally Posted by andre3001

I think I am going to look into getting into FAS at some point this afternoon at a nice jumping off point. We are at our breaking point of around 7900 where many people believe the Fed won't allow us to break. Let's see where we go from here...

I just got in at 8.98, it then jumped right up to 9.30. You guys think FAS will have a good day tomorrow?

what are you talking about?

how is skf higher than faz in premarket?

shouldn't faz be roughly 133% of skf?

They are off of different indexes. SKF is Dow Jones U.S. Financials Index... FAZ is Russell 1000 Financials.

Don't buy a Dow ETF. The dow is wacky as it is. It is a price-weighted index...with its divisor being about 7+. Go for a market-weighted ETF.

Back
Top Bottom