Official Warriors Off Season Thread

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

Originally Posted by BOOM DIZZLE

how bad do you think I would get it for wearing this in Oracle next season?

You would get killed

no you wouldn't because every other person in there will be wearing a different jersey too...

[h2]Was David Falk the mastermind of the Baron/Brand double-deal?[/h2]
Posted by Tim Kawakami on July 1st, 2008 at 10:54 pm | Categorized as NBA, Warriors

It's late. But I can't get one nagging question out of my mind:

How did Baron Davis know-REALLY KNOW-that there was $65M of Clipper money waiting for him if he opted out? How did he know that if he didn't know what Elton Brand would get and demand and if he didn't know what the Clippers would pay for either?

Now you can all scream BECAUSE THE CLIPPERS TAMPERED with Baron before his June 30 opt-out deadline, and I guess I'd have to acknowledge the possibility.

But that doesn't sound Clipper-like to me. I really haven't ever heard of any Clippers executive being savvy/devious enough to go to two separate stars and figure out exactly the procedure (wait, say you're staying, opt-out, wham) and the price for a double-signing.

Maybe Jerry West could do that. Danny Ainge sort of did that, in a delayed fashion, with Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett, but that involved trades, not signings, per se. I just don't see Elgin Baylor or Donald T. Sterling or Andy Roeser or even Mike Dunleavy Sr. pulling all of that off with Brand and Davis.

I thought about this and thought about this. I talked to people. Read the stories. Analyzed the personalities. And now I've decided:

Brand's agent, David Falk, is the most likely candidate to have masterminded this.

I'm saying if any one person put this together (and this has all the ear-marks of a one-genius creation), it was Falk, who formerly was the most powerful agent in the world back when his client Michael Jordan was winning championships.

Now Falk has one star client and his name is Brand. Falk very much has the will and the determination to move mountains for Brand, like Falk used to move mountains for Jordan.

And Brand wants to win but he also wants to stay in LA, to tend to his budding movie-making career. So happens that Davis is an LA kid also with a burgeoning movie career.

If Brand wants another star on the team, Falk is just being a good agent if he calls around and sees who's out there. If he checks the opt-out list and sees Davis' name. If he knows that Davis is interested in ending up in LA at some point.

If Falk happens to call up Davis' agent Todd Ramasar to chat about both players' interests, that's not tampering-no team is involved. If Falk tells Ramasar that Brand might take a six-year deal from the Clips averaging $16M if Davis would take a five-year deal averaging $13M, it's only hypotheticals.

If Falk then goes to the Clippers and tells them he can present a Brand/Baron package for an average of $29M, take it or leave it… that's only an agent looking out for what's best for his client.

If Davis and Ramasar like the idea and sit quietly and wait for Brand to opt-out of his deal before they steathily opt-out of Davis' deal, that's only strategy.

I could be wrong. It might've been Elgin Baylor or Ramasar or Baron himself pulling the strings behind the curtain.

I think it was Falk, though. I really think it was him.

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

Originally Posted by BOOM DIZZLE

how bad do you think I would get it for wearing this in Oracle next season?

You would get killed

no you wouldn't because every other person in there will be wearing a different jersey too...

indifferent.gif

Again, this guy Tim doesn't know what he's talking about.

Could there have been some sort of wink wink nod type of deal?

Maybe. Doubt it though, because everything would have to work out perfectly. It's no sure thing that Brand takes a paycut (not many superstars do) andit's no sure thing Diddy gets the type of money he wants from cheap Sterling. All this, and they'd have to assure themselves on all fronts, as, theonly way to do this, is to renounce Magette, so his number can come off the books, so all of this works. (Not many teams just let their players walk fornothing)

All this, and the Clippers and Mike Dunleavy was actually really after Udrih. Met with him Monday night, too I think. Diddy wasn't even their maintarget.

Tim fails to realize that GA and the Wizards shook the market yesterday.

Nobody in the basketball world expected BD to opt out. Nobody within the Warriors camp. Nobody outside it.

By opting out, he's forcing the Warriors back to the negotiating table, to see if they'd budge off of the 2 year $28M. Either through a sign or trade,or just giving in some to BD's money demands. And BDiddy opted out after Brand and Magette opted out.

He knew that the Clippers would be a player in getting him.

Nobody thought BD would just walk straight to LA as fast as he did.

Everybody was working out sign and trade scenarios, etc.

It's probably the whole Mullin offering GA $101M is what sealed the deal in BD's eyes, and that's the reason why everything happened so quick.

Just earlier today, everything was still up in the air, but once the GA deal was reported, it seemed to snowball from there.

I doubt it happens but here it is anyway

Sources: Warriors make offer to Brand after losing Davis

PRINT

COMMENTS 0
ut_sm.gif

WATCH THIS TOPIC

Posted: July 2, 2008

It has been known that the Golden State Warriors, reacting to the surprise opt-outof point guard Baron Davis and the even bigger surprise signing by the Los AngelesClippers, have tried to replace him with another point guard, Washington Wizards free agent Gilbert Arenas. But, despite Arenas' frequently professedlove for the Bay Area, multiple sources say it's likely that Arenas will head back to the Wizards with a near-max contract in hand.

But here's what hasn't been known: Two sources report that the Warriors, flush with cap space now that they're not responsible forDavis' $17.8 million option, reached out with an offer to Clippers free-agent big man Elton Brand in an attempt to limit any potential PR damage from theloss of Davis. "Baron is very popular," one of the sources says, "and if they can't replace him with Gilbert, Elton is the next-bestoption."
On one hand, the loss of Davis creates a vast amount of cap space for Golden State and more flexibility to build on its young roster. On the other hand, capspace does not sell tickets, and the Warriors are lacking a point guard. Brand, one of the NBA's most personable players, would mitigate the loss of Davis.Further, coach Don Nelson might not be eager to preside over a rebuilding project in what is likely his final year as the team's coach, so the Warriorswould need to add veteran help.

Golden State would be a long shot to sign Brand, who has said he wants to remain a Clipper. One of Brand's goals in opting out of the final year of hiscontract -- besides the obvious goal of longer-term financial security -- was to help force the improvement of the Clippers' roster. With Davis on board,the Clippers have accomplished that, and Brand could sign a new contract with the Clippers quickly.

GS should look to pursue Jamal Tinsley, give him about 33 minutes a game and he should be good.

Trade Pietrus, POB and Barnes to Indiana for Jamal.

Or maybe Jamal for Al + someone, they are rebuilding and might be willing to take back Al because thats about 9 mil coming off next year.

I've had time to think about this and I don't blame Baron on his move. He's getting long term security and gets to play in his hometown. It'shard for me to be mad at Baron when he has done so much for this team. He helped bring us back to the playoffs and played absolutely amazing against Dallas. Hebrought excitement back to the Bay Area, and we should be happy that he did that. I'm not mad at all, and I wish him luck in the future.

We just have to move on, and hopefully Mullin is active this offseason. And we'll probably get to see the young guys play this upcoming season.

I had to make a little edit on Wikipedia...

Wikipedia: 2007-2008 Warriors

June 30, 2008 marks the end of the Boom Dizzle Era, all due to Cohan's lack of spending prowess (Baron Davis' "Good Karma" video served no justice either). Chris Mullin stupidly offered a max contract to Gilbert Arenas after a injury-plagued season, which gives leverage for Baron to believe he deserves more money and a longer stay in the bay. In order to seek the Benjamins, he signs with his second-best hometown team, The Los Angeles Clippers, for 6 years at a reported $65 million. Baron Davis will be missed here at Oracle, but I guess those 17.8 million reasons were not enough for him to stay. With these problems aside, Larry Ellison will soon make a bid on the Warriors and turn them into contenders through the 2009-2010 free agency market. With big names like Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh, the Warriors organization will make a few offers and will end up with a amazing core for the future. With a superstar addition to the already rising stars in Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins, the Warriors will be due for a championship run within the next 3-4 years. The Mississippi Bullet Era begins now.

That would be funny if Brand did sign with the Warriors. If you did wear that Clippers jersey at Oracle, be prepared for an Adonal Foyle slap to the face. Isthat the real jersey or is that PS'd? What is wrong with Kawakami? I think he's a credible source.

I traded Baron+AL for Chauncey+Rasheed. Worked smoothly and didn't have to override anything.

Happy trails Baron. Be prepared to be booed.

Haha did you really edit that? That's funny. How funny would it be if the W's won a ring next season and Baron isn't happy in L.A. Haha. But toobad that's a long shot.

Again, this guy Tim doesn't know what he's talking about.

laugh.gif
why the hate? I think Tim's one of the better Bay Area sports writers. He comes up with interesting stories and theories that get ppl involved indebates about Bay Area sports teams.

Other than that franchise3 I co-sign what you said in the last couple posts. Mullin dropped the ball, plain and simple. The Warriors are back to banking onpotential. While I think Monta can be a superstar, I'm not so sure if he's ready to be "the guy" and if he can carry the team on his back.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

While I think Monta can be a superstar, I'm not so sure if he's ready to be "the guy" and if he can carry the team on his back.

They said, they said, they said...

I like Kawakami too
laugh.gif
. And LiveMyReality, that would be weird
laugh.gif
. Belinelli blows up and he and Monta carrythe Warriors
laugh.gif
. Then Foyle wins the 6th Man of the Year
laugh.gif
. It's a pipe dream but yeah... one can dream
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

This is a super-long shot since Philly will probably match, but we can go after Andre Iguodala. A starting lineup of Ellis/Iggy/Jackson/Wright/Biedrinsdoesn't seem bad at all. He would be the ideal 2 to complement Monta in the backcourt. Of course, Philly will probably end up matching. But they'realso going to go after Josh Smith apparently(Philly), so we should at least attempt to get either Josh or Andre. It doesn't hurt to try. Both would do wellhere, and would definitely ease the loss of losing Baron. It's not likely, but if Mullin can do it...
pimp.gif

(and yeah, i did read about this elsewhere.
laugh.gif
)

Josh Smith would be my first choice here with Iguodala being a close 2nd... But it'll be hard to pry them away from Atlanta and Philadelphia
ohwell.gif
. Mullinshould at least attempt so that Philadelphia and Atlanta can up their price for them to ruin their cap situation... kind of like what he did with Washington
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

29. Golden State Warriors [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$30,060,290[/font]

man, we are ranked 29th in salaries, Cohan aka cheap bastard is happy at this moment
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Who in the world is that? I just busted out laughing for some reason when she was talking. LOL. I need sleep.

Hey since Baron is gone, Adonal can come back! Baby!

Stop hating on that girl, shes a TRUE FAN.

"Yep thats right last time I checked I never read the newspaper, except for you know THE FUNNIES, THE SUNDAY MORNING FUNNIES THEY'RE GREAT."

Back
Top Bottom