Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Just finished 3 billboards. Hard to rate. On the one hand, I didn't find it entertaining or even interesting. I didn't agree with any of the characters actions, didn't think there was anything special about the cinematography, and didn't really feel any emotion from the story being told.

On the other hand, my god the acting was on point. It almost felt like the entire script was improv; no memorized dialogue, just making it all up as they went.

I can see how it was made to seem like a realistic view of what rural Missouri is probably like but damn the way the law was broken so many times with no repercussions really took me out of it. McDormand beats up some high schoolers and NOTHING happens. Rockwells character almost kills the dude he threw out the window, even punched dudes girl in the face and nothing happens.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I hated how the movie ended with no clean catch of her daughters killer and no true character redemption story for the "bad cop." I feel like if the rest of the movie was gonna be so absurd, why not give us a good fictional Hollywood ending as well? Outstanding acting, original story, but not Best Picture by a longshot. 5.7/8
The acting really drove the movie.

It really went all over the place and more so after the suicide.

All the things that took you out of it I think mostly were for comedic effect to an extent.

And I really think this just may be whats going on in these places. There's not a lot for justice in this world.

Racist cop did not deserve to be redeemed. Insulting that a letter from a dead guy made him turn face.

I didn't really think they'd catch the killer until the random dude shows up at her workpalace and is bragging later at the bar.
How's the new Bale western? I'm a sucker for a good western film
I'll let you know by Thursday or Friday if nobody else does..
whenever I see a list of upcoming movies, like 90% of the list
is either, prequel, sequel, remake, part of a series. I hate it
The new normal of Hollywood unfortunately.

Last edited:
Just randomly caught the Blacklist after giving up on it like 2 or 3 seasons ago. Like right after they revealed Liz wasn't dead and the whole thing with the baby and Red lost all his money.

The last other thing I recall is a damn spinoff show with that lame Tom.

So is Tom finally dead? Is that spinoff cancelled?

I loved where Brandon Lee was headed. Showdown in Little Tokyo, Rapid Fire and the Crow all sold me on him. He had insane skills.

I loved Lady Bird.
Always liked Saoireise Roiamane though.

My one problem with the Film, was the whole Film.
Like, where were the Black People.
I mean I know it's a story about a little White Girl, but aren't there Black People in Sacramento.
Don't black people go to Catholic Schools and get into Davis U?
I mean she had two boyfriends, and bother were White. Even her adopted Bro and Sis weren't Black.
Her best friend was even White.
Damn White privilege.
Other than that, good job Greta.

I loved Lady Bird.
Always liked Saoireise Roiamane though.

My one problem with the Film, was the whole Film.
Like, where were the Black People.
I mean I know it's a story about a little White Girl, but aren't there Black People in Sacramento.
Don't black people go to Catholic Schools and get into Davis U?
I mean she had two boyfriends, and bother were White. Even her adopted Bro and Sis weren't Black.
Her best friend was even White.
Damn White privilege.
Other than that, good job Greta.

The black people in Sac live in the country/pretty hood areas. Diversity isn't spread great there.
Went to a Catholic school in HS, was one out of maybe 10/20 colored people in my class.
Davis is full of the Asian/White/Latin demographic.
Live in NorCal so that's what I can speak on from experience here.
Of course, it's never fun seeing only white people in a film but just wanted to drop that in case you haven't been out here.

giphy.gif

He ain't saying **** :lol: Always posting race topic articles with no real thoughts or ideas of his own, then lashes out that we don't deserve his thoughts like he's some scholar or something. Honestly wouldn't be shocked if most this thread has him on ignore, I did after I got sick of his blatant racism against Asians and trying to sell us on the idea that they all want to be white people through tweets he looked up as evidence. Bet he hasn't read a full book by Cornel West or Ta-nehisi Coates but thinks he's on their level of thought.

Last edited:
well let me start by saying a-friend a-friend you think youre making fun of me imitating me but i find it sad really

and whats more sad is that you wrote it as joke and dude still took it seriously because before even making fun of me it was accurate

but i guess when you put making jokes at my expense above the actual disrespectful representation (or lack thereof) of your own people what can you expect?

i get that this is nt's "white" space for movies and anything that points out the racism ruins the experience for you guys

but lets not pretend like its the difference between "my original thoughts" and "an article i posted" that has yall upset

its the fact that no one can respond to the criticisms of the movie

no one has responded to the content of not one article i posted in here why?

oh that is except to say "thats not the movie they were making" or "thats not the story they were telling"

regardless a-friend a-friend you played yourself more than me

cuz i know i dont know know any of what yall post to imitate so accurately, that being the sincerest form of flattery

Movie Review: Lady Bird, a Winning First Film from Greta Gerwig, Is Alert to Class but Falters on Race

lady_bird.jpg

https://www.indyweek.com/arts/archi...-gerwig-is-alert-to-class-but-falters-on-race

In many ways, Lady Bird is a winning directorial debut by Greta Gerwig, who also wrote the film. It captures the fuzzy nostalgia as well as the pains of coming of age at the start of the twenty-first century, as the Iraq War blares through the television in the background of a bustling Catholic family’s life. Saoirse Ronan plays the title character, a slightly rebellious Sacramento teen battling for autonomy with her financially struggling, overwhelmed nurse mother, Marion (Laurie Metcalf). But for all of Lady Bird’s blurred lucidity, its anxieties about race and the new economy are where the film falters.

Lady Bird reconstructs the ambient feeling of the early 2000s to such a degree that it will be hard for any woman who grew up in the late nineties, at the dawn of the commercial internet, to resist. There's Ronan’s eclectic but not quite successful punk style, the limited scope and problems of teenage life before cell phones, and the period’s terrible popular music, used to very tender effect throughout the soundtrack. Sam Levy’s digital cinematography captures the grainy visual style of the last days of color analog photography, as if the whole film had been shot on a disposable point-and-shoot. Light blurs the characters’ silhouettes in suburban living-room windows, casting a quaint haze over everything.

The teenage ensemble cast is absolutely delightful, from Lady Bird’s awkward theater-kid best friend, Julie (Beanie Feldstein), to her closeted first kiss, Danny (Lucas Hedges), and her diffident cool-guy crush, Kyle (Timothée Chalmet). These actors portray all the ambivalence, love, and jealousy of high school without ever lapsing into empty archetypes. Ronan is unfailingly sympathetic and complex, if often bratty and willful.

In past few years, American cinema has relaxed its taboo against discussing class. With directors such as Andrea Arnold, Barry Jenkins, and Sean Baker enjoying some mainstream success, characters and stories once considered too marginal for Hollywood are gracing screens with their grit. This turn towards economic realism is very much apparent in Lady Bird. The specter of a failing economy and declining middle-class prosperity haunts the film in the forms of refinanced houses, ugly sedans, and unaffordable college tuition.

But these savvy hints at economic stagnation also seem to conceal subtle anti-immigrant sentiments. Miguel and Shelley, a Latinx couple taken in by Marion, are mostly affable tokens who barely intersect with the film’s main narrative, except when a looming economic crisis comes into play. When Lady Bird fails to get into UC Berkeley and Miguel (Jordan Rodrigues) does, she yells at him, saying that he only got in because he’s Hispanic and that he’ll never get a job with so many piercings in his face.

Later, Miguel removes all his piercings and wins out over Lady Bird’s father, Larry, for a computer-programming job. But these moments pass quickly, as background snippets in the larger story of Lady Bird’s ego development. Gerwig deploys these tropes with a kind of "isn’t racism horrible!" knowingness, but the failure to endow Miguel and Shelley with psychological complexity ends up reaffirming the only non-white characters in the movie as vaguely threatening and unknowable.

Lady Bird is surefooted and smart, but the question of who is cast in the film’s soft, flattering nostalgia and who isn't should not be swept under the rug.

Note that I am neither a Californian nor an American. Nor am I a female for that matter. I watched this movie expecting so much, especially after numerous critics named it as their favorite movie of the year. But I must say that I felt nothing from it. I didn't find it moving, funny nor insightful. The movie was competently made as I never felt it was the work of a first time director. But other than that, I found that there was nothing original about the movie. The acting was well done, but nothing that would blow me away. I even tried watching it for a second time in case I'm missing something, but even after the second try I still felt nothing. I'm guessing all the adoring reviews were written by people who can relate to the experience told in Lady Bird. If not that, I absolutely fail to understand how this movie could a 94 critic score on metacritic (or even the 6.9 user score for that matter)

Professionally made but not worth seeing. I don't understand all of the rave reviews, nothing about this story is either interesting or captivating. Or believable. The characters are not likable, the story isn't funny, nothing about the film makes you care what will happen next. Odd what critics like.

Why is this sort of behavior so pushed these days? Like we have to be astounded by idiotic renegade behavior. Like we need more ******* on this planet. Female character is represented as someone who will probably be a horrible person once she grows up (she is terrible now). I don't know how this is interesting to anyone,why is it cute or why would anyone perceive this girl as a great character. The story of no discipline could be an alternate title..

I like Greta Gerwig and Saoirse Ronan, but this movie never grabbed me. I lost interest in the character and the plot and walked out with 15 minutes to go since I found it so tedious.

NO SCRIPT just an accumulation of coy “moments” that go nowhere and leave both viewer and film-maker high-and-dry…...Far too much cutesy sweetness that overstays its welcome !!......I could not BELIEVE how long this film went on !!!……and the shrill and repetitive mother-daughter confrontations became a kind of unrelenting psychodrama and an ordeal to sit though……. My hunch is that many critics like this movie because (given our embattled world these days) they hunger for lightweight reassuring fluff and - poor schmucks- could not see that this is “faux” lightweight reassuring fluff! Even Laurie Metcalf’s potentially very interesting performance as Lady Bird’s mother gets wasted and has nowhere to go given the triteness of the story that she is given to work with.

Sincerely, what is this crap doing in the oscars? Not only because the films is REALLY bad (30 minutes through and I was begging it to end), but it doesn't have an "oscar vibe", it's just another stupid school movie + "american family" movie like so many others out there. It didn't deserve even ONE of the nominations, except maybe for best supporting actress (being nominated for best movie, best screenplay and best direction is absolutely bizarre)

Full of empty, shallow dialogues, useless scenes, subplots that are immediately abandoned (it reminded me of The Room), and a lot of boring, stupid characters that are completely unlikable (except for the father). The screenplay and edit are TERRIBLE.

I had already not liked Brooklyn, and didn't find Saoirse Ronan's acting so great then (that movie also sucks), but her nomination for best actress is another thing I can't understand. Not only her acting is just "meh", she is totally unconvincing as a teenager school girl.

hand2handking hand2handking

I remember one time you said all these links you post are from a program you have on your computer where you enter in keywords and it searches the internet for articles containing those specific keywords.

At times, to me, it seems like you just post those articles and say "this movie sucked because I found these articles." Sometimes you don't even give your opinion on the article written, you just post the link and say "thoughts?"

At times this makes me discredit your opinion, as it doesn't really seem like yours. Just trying to give you some insight as to where I'm coming from when or if I disagree with you. It's not about me trying to personally attack you.

Also, sometimes, the articles seem very far fetched. I always read them, but hardly agree with most their points. BUT, I can see that the point in you posting them is to educate and increase awareness, so in that regard it is effective.

Long story short (and I know I don't have to say this) keep doing what you're doing mate.

its because often times my thoughts on the movie are reflected in the article and it would be redundant to repeat what has been said

also, the fact that when i offer my authentic movies of a movie im then explained to how "idiotic" my opinion is

but you cant do that with a published article so thats why i post articles oftentimes

and because like you said the aim is to educate and not argue

but ppl would rather attack me than the content of what i post

h2hk your comments and threads on race don't ruin anything for me. without constant pressure and questions, people can tend to become complacent. i don't agree with what you post much of the time but i agree with what you're doing.

Loved I, Tonya. Solid 6.7/8

Story was super entertaining from beginning to end. Some great acting by the entire cast. One thing I felt bad about is I found myself sympathizing with Harding. Had to remind myself that she was way more horrible of a person than the movie made her out to be, and at the end of the day I'm still watching fiction.

I could def see this movie picking up some awards this season. I laughed my *** off through most of the movie, then the ending really drove home my emotions.

Still have 5 best picture nominees to peep before I make my final predictions. Been putting off Ladybird, but it's time.

Back
Top Bottom