Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Uncut Gems - 6/8

A thoroughly entertaining film for the whole 2+ hours, the Safdie Brothers do a great job of creating anxiety in this thing. I’m pretty sure all the men in the theater were locked in as soon as Julia Fox shows up.

Ip Man 4 - 5/8

This should be out at some AMC theaters if yall wanna use A-List

The cringe and china propaganda are at an all time high, but the fights were good and thats all anybody cares about for a Ip Man movie so i got what i came for.

Scott Adkins as the cartoonishly racist Final Boss was great :lol:

Uncut Gems 6/8 - Aside from the ridiculous amount of yelling I enjoyed the flick. Joaquin > Adam for me still as far as Oscar contention goes but Sandler did his thing. Julia Fox was bangin as well. Shoutout to Lakeith dude has in a ton of different roles since Short Term 12/Atlanta.

Lord of Chaos 4.5/8 - Not a fan of Mayhem the band but the film was interesting. Some wild imagery to go along with it. Worth checking out if you're into indies.

At Eternity's Gate 6.2/8

Dafoe :pimp:

Lovely introspective movie. Also a lot of nice dialog on painting in general.

Van Gogh was troubled.

Didn't expect Oscar or Mads in this.

Anyone check out Last Christmas with Emelia Clarke?
Nah :lol:

Love me some Emelia but xmas propaganda schlock is not enough to look past.

trying to catch a couple movies this weekend if i have the time. uncut gems, little woman, 1917

Think I'm just gonna count myself as not a fan of Greta Gerwig's work.

Leave her stuff for when it ends up on tv. I got no interest in Little Women.

Probably catching 1917 and Just Mercy next week. Maybe see Star Wars and Uncut Gems again. Also need to see Clemency.

Last edited:
I finally got around to watching The Irishman.

I thought was "pretty good", but not "great".

While Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci were good, Al Pacino was the best performer in the film. He didn't do his usual overacting and owned every scene he was in.

The production design was slick as hell, especially during the scene where Frank goes to Umberto's Clam House. It looked exactly like it did in the old photos! :wow: Give Bob Shaw the Oscar for Best Production Design.

Overall, I felt like I was watching Martin Scorsese's Greatest Hits film with the number of alumni in it (sans DiCaprio) and subtle references to to Goodfellas. (There's even a brief scene at the famous diner.)

It was nice to see the old-timers get one more shine in a mob flick though.

Last few films I've seen in the past month:

The Rise of Skywalker - I really enjoyed it. Obv, it's a 90% fan service but after the visual travesty that was The Last Jedi, I was happy to see a Star Wars film that, well, felt like a Star Wars film.

6.8 / 8

Knives Out - One of the best films I've seen this year.

7.4 / 8

Queen & Slim - Hollow film with a ridiculous plot and laughable scenarios throughout.

2 / 8

I've been holding off on the Irishman because it takes up like an entire half of a day off for me but I might pull the trigger today

Street Fighter, the film, was released in theaters 25 years ago today.

81HEEJRLnBL._SL1500_.jpg

The film was trash, but it had some low-key funny scenes and Raul Julia went ALL IN on his final film role. The soundtrack was dope as well.

i saw this in the theater as a kid and was supremely disappointed

rewatched it on prime recently and it was some of the most fun ive had watching a movie this year 😂

the story behind the making of the movie is bonkers

Bruh studio execs had the most brass balls of all time to even fathom having Jean Claude Van Damme play Guile, and think everything was gonna be gravy.

You had lead actors in the movie who said they had never even heard of a “video game” in their lives. Like what???

For real though in this era of major tv series magic, a 12 episode balls to the Wall Street fighter series on HBO would be bonkers. Enough time to do each character justice. A few backstories. Make it a tournament if you feel. I just can’t believe that joint is gonna go out like

Nah :lol:

First 5 movies he lists I haven't seen 3. He also willingly watched a lot of trash movies.

2019 was a slow year for me. 192 movies though? I at best watched half of that. To me it was a bit of off year outside of the standouts that paid off. Feel like another weak Oscar year too.

I actually should check how many I've seen this year.

Back
Top Bottom