Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

They were created specifically for that purpose. It was alluded to somewhere along the way.

About their obedience, remember those bracelets they wore, even after they were out of the school? For tracking purposes, I imagine.

I love dystopian films, man. I need to read the novel.

Gladiator

THEE defining role for Russell Crowe for all time.  I don't care what he does from this point on, all the other great films, great performances, etc etc, this is the peak of his career, without question.  Harrison Ford was both Han Solo, and Indiana Jones.  You could argue as to which was his most defining role, or you could argue that both those characters were just built in franchise characters, and that The Fugitive was the best Harrison Ford performance of his career.  That don't happen with Crowe.  The man was Maximus.  He was the Spaniard, he was Gladiator. 
pimp.gif

The man was ON.  This was Pedro in his prime, where everything else just falls short.  This dude was more gangster in this picture than Tony Montana.  The dude had about 5 "chill" scenes where he just had you ready to hurt somebody.  "are you not entertained!!?"  "....husband to a murdered wife, father to a murdered son..."  When he gets the thumbs down and then just drops the ax, when he handles the 5 dudes out in the woods, and when he walks out all alone and bows just before killing like 8 dudes by himself. 
eek.gif
roll.gif
pimp.gif
  Just incredible.  He should thank Ridley every single day for that film. 

I had forgotten how great Phoenix was.  Damn he was a douche. 
laugh.gif
  The dude MADE you hate him all thru the film.  From the first scene he is in, til his final, you just don't like the guy, and to me that is a great sign of a job well done.  He carried himself with that lame arrogance that you know he didn't earn, he acted like a lil @#$%^ the whole time, the way he schemed over everything and don't even get me started on lustin after his sister (fine as she was) 
30t6p3b.gif

I never really paid much attention to the cinematography before, but I did like a lot of the scenes that he shot in shadows with their faces, or the light on just their eyes, things like that.  And of course the Rome shots were great, and the battle scenes were perfect. 

I can't wait to see what Johnny and JPZ have to say when they get thru this.  Johnny might watch this 8 times just this week after he finally gets thru it.  He'll be thanking all of us real soon I'm sure.  Just like Ska did after he caught Pulp. 
wink.gif

9.5/10 for me.  My only gripe was that I really only cared about 2-3 characters, I wish I would have had a few more that gave me something.  In Troy there was about 6-7 that I either rooted for, or against, but either way I at least cared what happened to them or how, not so with this.  It was Spaniard, Phoenix, sis, and that's about it.  Even his friends, only Houston and that big dude were even remotely shown enough to think about.  That's my only complaint, and I know it's a small one. 

Gladiator

THEE defining role for Russell Crowe for all time.  I don't care what he does from this point on, all the other great films, great performances, etc etc, this is the peak of his career, without question.  Harrison Ford was both Han Solo, and Indiana Jones.  You could argue as to which was his most defining role, or you could argue that both those characters were just built in franchise characters, and that The Fugitive was the best Harrison Ford performance of his career.  That don't happen with Crowe.  The man was Maximus.  He was the Spaniard, he was Gladiator. 
pimp.gif

The man was ON.  This was Pedro in his prime, where everything else just falls short.  This dude was more gangster in this picture than Tony Montana.  The dude had about 5 "chill" scenes where he just had you ready to hurt somebody.  "are you not entertained!!?"  "....husband to a murdered wife, father to a murdered son..."  When he gets the thumbs down and then just drops the ax, when he handles the 5 dudes out in the woods, and when he walks out all alone and bows just before killing like 8 dudes by himself. 
eek.gif
roll.gif
pimp.gif
  Just incredible.  He should thank Ridley every single day for that film. 

I had forgotten how great Phoenix was.  Damn he was a douche. 
laugh.gif
  The dude MADE you hate him all thru the film.  From the first scene he is in, til his final, you just don't like the guy, and to me that is a great sign of a job well done.  He carried himself with that lame arrogance that you know he didn't earn, he acted like a lil @#$%^ the whole time, the way he schemed over everything and don't even get me started on lustin after his sister (fine as she was) 
30t6p3b.gif

I never really paid much attention to the cinematography before, but I did like a lot of the scenes that he shot in shadows with their faces, or the light on just their eyes, things like that.  And of course the Rome shots were great, and the battle scenes were perfect. 

I can't wait to see what Johnny and JPZ have to say when they get thru this.  Johnny might watch this 8 times just this week after he finally gets thru it.  He'll be thanking all of us real soon I'm sure.  Just like Ska did after he caught Pulp. 
wink.gif

9.5/10 for me.  My only gripe was that I really only cared about 2-3 characters, I wish I would have had a few more that gave me something.  In Troy there was about 6-7 that I either rooted for, or against, but either way I at least cared what happened to them or how, not so with this.  It was Spaniard, Phoenix, sis, and that's about it.  Even his friends, only Houston and that big dude were even remotely shown enough to think about.  That's my only complaint, and I know it's a small one. 

127 hours on the way from netflix....

gladiator...what is there to say really. one of those movies 99 out 100 people like, 90 out of 100 people love. my favorite scene is actually the opening scene, the battle in germania. the speech he gives to the horseman before they start the battle is great...the part about "if you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. for you are in elysium, and you're already dead! what we do here echoes in eternity..."
pimp.gif

and then i love the part where crowe is off his horse and cleaning house and it goes to slow motion when he turns with his sword to stick someone in the throat, and quickly sees it's a fellow roman...and he freezes and just gives that crazy smile. awesome. then the scene where he's gladiating for proximo prior to getting to rome and he just goes wild, chucks the sword. classic scene.

easily a top 10 movie for me, if not higher. 9.5 if not a full 10.

127 hours on the way from netflix....

gladiator...what is there to say really. one of those movies 99 out 100 people like, 90 out of 100 people love. my favorite scene is actually the opening scene, the battle in germania. the speech he gives to the horseman before they start the battle is great...the part about "if you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. for you are in elysium, and you're already dead! what we do here echoes in eternity..."
pimp.gif

and then i love the part where crowe is off his horse and cleaning house and it goes to slow motion when he turns with his sword to stick someone in the throat, and quickly sees it's a fellow roman...and he freezes and just gives that crazy smile. awesome. then the scene where he's gladiating for proximo prior to getting to rome and he just goes wild, chucks the sword. classic scene.

easily a top 10 movie for me, if not higher. 9.5 if not a full 10.

Gladiator - 9/10

Everything about this is done right. From the acting to the cinematography to the costumes. EVERYTHING was done right. My only gripe is that it drags at times. But Crowe... my god. His defining performance as CP already stated. Some of his speeches are chilling; "Are you not entertained?! Is this not why you are here?!" Djimon Hounsou was great in his role too. This movie made me a fan of his.

Every time I watch Gladiator I like it a little more. Probably just picking up on more little things I'd missed before. One of the best of the last decade
pimp.gif

Gladiator - 9/10

Everything about this is done right. From the acting to the cinematography to the costumes. EVERYTHING was done right. My only gripe is that it drags at times. But Crowe... my god. His defining performance as CP already stated. Some of his speeches are chilling; "Are you not entertained?! Is this not why you are here?!" Djimon Hounsou was great in his role too. This movie made me a fan of his.

Every time I watch Gladiator I like it a little more. Probably just picking up on more little things I'd missed before. One of the best of the last decade
pimp.gif

Saw Tree Of Life and American Psycho today...

Both incredibly different.

I can't even put Tree Of Life into words. Yes, the cinematography in the first half hour was tasteful and artistically well-done, but was it enjoyable? No. It dragged. Can somebody tell me something? Was there any symbolism or connections behind the dinosaur stepping on the head of the other dinosaur? The only thing I can think of is that it's how the Brad Pitt's sons played... they kind of messed around with each other, pushed each other around/stepped on each other, but in the end they didn't actually hurt each other (for the most part). Also, what was with the eldest son stealing his neighbor's nightie and throwing it in the river? That's not even being mischievous... that's just being plain weird. How does a kid get enjoyment out of that? I can understand throwing rocks threw windows, strapping frogs to rockets, etc. That's just what some kids do
laugh.gif
... but stealing the nightie? What the hell?

I thought Brad Pitt did a fantastic job portraying the father... Jessica Chastain shouldn't go unmentioned as well.

I enjoyed the story about the 1950s Texas Family... but everything else I could have done away with. I understand what Terrence Malick was trying to accomplish but a lot of it was just... weird. So in the end, I would give the movie a definite positive grade. If I ever gave it another viewing though, I would fast-forward through the first 30 minutes. That's just me.

As for American Psycho, Christian Bale was chilling. In retrospect, who could have played the role better? Who? Really, nobody. The scene where he's killing Paul Allen
eek.gif
... the way he talks about the Fore! album with such detail, how he responds to Paul Allen's questions, his dancing... it was all, fantastic. By far my favorite scene in the movie.

The business card scene and the shower scene were awesome as well. I thought Willem Dafoe could have been utilized better, but whatever. Reese Witherspoon being in it was mad random. I did not expect that.
laugh.gif

I'd definitely recommend it.

*CP, add Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes and Tree Of Life to my list if possible man. Thanks.
pimp.gif

Saw Tree Of Life and American Psycho today...

Both incredibly different.

I can't even put Tree Of Life into words. Yes, the cinematography in the first half hour was tasteful and artistically well-done, but was it enjoyable? No. It dragged. Can somebody tell me something? Was there any symbolism or connections behind the dinosaur stepping on the head of the other dinosaur? The only thing I can think of is that it's how the Brad Pitt's sons played... they kind of messed around with each other, pushed each other around/stepped on each other, but in the end they didn't actually hurt each other (for the most part). Also, what was with the eldest son stealing his neighbor's nightie and throwing it in the river? That's not even being mischievous... that's just being plain weird. How does a kid get enjoyment out of that? I can understand throwing rocks threw windows, strapping frogs to rockets, etc. That's just what some kids do
laugh.gif
... but stealing the nightie? What the hell?

I thought Brad Pitt did a fantastic job portraying the father... Jessica Chastain shouldn't go unmentioned as well.

I enjoyed the story about the 1950s Texas Family... but everything else I could have done away with. I understand what Terrence Malick was trying to accomplish but a lot of it was just... weird. So in the end, I would give the movie a definite positive grade. If I ever gave it another viewing though, I would fast-forward through the first 30 minutes. That's just me.

As for American Psycho, Christian Bale was chilling. In retrospect, who could have played the role better? Who? Really, nobody. The scene where he's killing Paul Allen
eek.gif
... the way he talks about the Fore! album with such detail, how he responds to Paul Allen's questions, his dancing... it was all, fantastic. By far my favorite scene in the movie.

The business card scene and the shower scene were awesome as well. I thought Willem Dafoe could have been utilized better, but whatever. Reese Witherspoon being in it was mad random. I did not expect that.
laugh.gif

I'd definitely recommend it.

*CP, add Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes and Tree Of Life to my list if possible man. Thanks.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JPZx

pimp.gif
Done deal.......when am I gonna add Gladiator to your list? 
nerd.gif

laugh.gif

Big J is up this week for his 5 movies.  But per his last post, he was on vaca in NY.  Let's see if he makes it in here to post, if not, maybe he can trade a week with someone so he can move back to when he gets home, and someone else can make the suggestions for this week.  I'll PM Big J here in a lil bit, see what he wants to do.

Originally Posted by JPZx

pimp.gif
Done deal.......when am I gonna add Gladiator to your list? 
nerd.gif

laugh.gif

Big J is up this week for his 5 movies.  But per his last post, he was on vaca in NY.  Let's see if he makes it in here to post, if not, maybe he can trade a week with someone so he can move back to when he gets home, and someone else can make the suggestions for this week.  I'll PM Big J here in a lil bit, see what he wants to do.

The title is right there, fool.
laugh.gif

It's The Avengers filming here.
In August 2011, production moved to Cleveland, Ohio for four weeks. The city's East Ninth Street was chosen as a double for New York City's 42nd Street to be used in climactic battle scenes.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(2012_film)#cite_note-Sangiacomo-64[/sup] Filming also took place in the large vacuum chamber at the NASA Plum Brook Station near Sandusky, Ohio.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(2012_film)#cite_note-Sandusky-65[/sup] The station's Space Power Facility was used to portray a S.H.I.E.L.D. research facility.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(2012_film)#cite_note-Sandusky2-66[/sup] A series of explosions are scheduled to be filmed at the Chevrolet powertrain plant in Parma, Ohio as part of the battle sequence that began in Cleveland.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(2012_film)#cite_note-Sangiacomo2-67[/sup] Scenes from the film were also shot on Public Square and the Detroit–Superior Bridge.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(2012_film)#cite_note-Sangiacomo3-68[/sup]
One superhero movie I will see.

The title is right there, fool.
laugh.gif

It's The Avengers filming here.
In August 2011, production moved to Cleveland, Ohio for four weeks. The city's East Ninth Street was chosen as a double for New York City's 42nd Street to be used in climactic battle scenes.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(2012_film)#cite_note-Sangiacomo-64[/sup] Filming also took place in the large vacuum chamber at the NASA Plum Brook Station near Sandusky, Ohio.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(2012_film)#cite_note-Sandusky-65[/sup] The station's Space Power Facility was used to portray a S.H.I.E.L.D. research facility.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(2012_film)#cite_note-Sandusky2-66[/sup] A series of explosions are scheduled to be filmed at the Chevrolet powertrain plant in Parma, Ohio as part of the battle sequence that began in Cleveland.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(2012_film)#cite_note-Sangiacomo2-67[/sup] Scenes from the film were also shot on Public Square and the Detroit–Superior Bridge.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(2012_film)#cite_note-Sangiacomo3-68[/sup]
One superhero movie I will see.

Watched Final Destination 5 and Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Final Destination was alright, the twist at the end was a nice touch.

Really enjoyed Planet of the Apes, very good movie.

Caesar.
pimp.gif

Watched Final Destination 5 and Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Final Destination was alright, the twist at the end was a nice touch.

Really enjoyed Planet of the Apes, very good movie.

Caesar.
pimp.gif

Kev, are you gonna see Avengers just for the scenes in Clev, or are you legitimately interested in the film?

Kev, are you gonna see Avengers just for the scenes in Clev, or are you legitimately interested in the film?

Back
Top Bottom