Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Not legitimately interested in the film.
roll.gif

^ Nvm, read it on IMDB.

Hesher
Hesher... was something else. Coming into the summer it was my most anticipated film, and I finally got a chance to watch it tonight. First off, lets get this out of the way: Joseph Gordon-Levitt is an amazing actor. He may go down as one of this generations best by the time he's done. Now, to the rest of the film. I was unprepared for what this movie is; I came in expecting a comedy about a loner metalhead who befriends a nerdy kid, a sort of classic opposites-meet comedy. Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. This movie was dark, hilarious, depressing, heartbreaking, heartwarming, and a lot more. But on top of everything, it was honest. I never really felt like "this couldnt happen" once the film got going. Throughout the film the characters break down further and further, relying on each other more and more without realizing it. It all culminates into what you expect it to, but it does it all so damb well. I'm not sure why so many critics hated it. Most say the titular character was too rough or crude, or that the story's too bleak or too flat. But that's what I was so attracted to. It seemed like an honest look at a freshly-broken family without hope. And that Hesher was a larger-than-life psycho with a good, ultra-reserved heart.

Hesher's metaphors and life-lesson stories are some of the highlights of the film; they offer a rare look into the badass that is Hesher's soul without him having to actually bear his soul. Like I said, JGL did an amazing job with this character. He's the anchor of the film, and I'm not sure there are any other actors of his quality that could pull this off. Somehow I havent mentioned Natalie Portman yet. Damb. Anyways, she did great in her role, albeit a sort of small role. Still beautiful. The kid, TJ, did an amazing job. Really blown away by his performance. The teenage angst thing he did was perfect, down to the slow destruction of his life into a heartbreaking despair. Rainn Wilson did a good job for his limited role as well. I dont presume his character was too hard to pull off, save for a few scenes that were pretty tough to watch.
Not many complaints. Some things were kind of 'meh.' Trying to not give spoilers, I feel like someone should have gone to jail at some point for all the destruction in this film. It was also very dark and depressing at points, really bummed me out for parts.

Overall, 8/10. Highly recommended if you like Gordon-Levitt, Portman, or good movies in general. Be prepared for one of the emotionally darkest films of the year.

^ Nvm, read it on IMDB.

Hesher
Hesher... was something else. Coming into the summer it was my most anticipated film, and I finally got a chance to watch it tonight. First off, lets get this out of the way: Joseph Gordon-Levitt is an amazing actor. He may go down as one of this generations best by the time he's done. Now, to the rest of the film. I was unprepared for what this movie is; I came in expecting a comedy about a loner metalhead who befriends a nerdy kid, a sort of classic opposites-meet comedy. Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. This movie was dark, hilarious, depressing, heartbreaking, heartwarming, and a lot more. But on top of everything, it was honest. I never really felt like "this couldnt happen" once the film got going. Throughout the film the characters break down further and further, relying on each other more and more without realizing it. It all culminates into what you expect it to, but it does it all so damb well. I'm not sure why so many critics hated it. Most say the titular character was too rough or crude, or that the story's too bleak or too flat. But that's what I was so attracted to. It seemed like an honest look at a freshly-broken family without hope. And that Hesher was a larger-than-life psycho with a good, ultra-reserved heart.

Hesher's metaphors and life-lesson stories are some of the highlights of the film; they offer a rare look into the badass that is Hesher's soul without him having to actually bear his soul. Like I said, JGL did an amazing job with this character. He's the anchor of the film, and I'm not sure there are any other actors of his quality that could pull this off. Somehow I havent mentioned Natalie Portman yet. Damb. Anyways, she did great in her role, albeit a sort of small role. Still beautiful. The kid, TJ, did an amazing job. Really blown away by his performance. The teenage angst thing he did was perfect, down to the slow destruction of his life into a heartbreaking despair. Rainn Wilson did a good job for his limited role as well. I dont presume his character was too hard to pull off, save for a few scenes that were pretty tough to watch.
Not many complaints. Some things were kind of 'meh.' Trying to not give spoilers, I feel like someone should have gone to jail at some point for all the destruction in this film. It was also very dark and depressing at points, really bummed me out for parts.

Overall, 8/10. Highly recommended if you like Gordon-Levitt, Portman, or good movies in general. Be prepared for one of the emotionally darkest films of the year.

^
I need to get to Hesher at some point.  I remember people in here hyping it and it looked "different" 

And as for JGL, I just saw the preview for 50/50, I swear that guy looks like a little kid in one movie, and a grown man in the next.  How the hell he do that? 
laugh.gif

One of my favorite performances by him was in Kill Shot, had Rourke, dude from Punisher and Diane Lane in it, also Rosario D was in it.  And JGL was simply crazy in that movie.  I couldn't even believe it was him.  How the hell they @#$%^& him up as Cobra Commander I will never, ever, EVER fully understand.  Him playing that role should have been on a Ledger/Joker type tip. 
30t6p3b.gif

Big J is still on vaca, I put in a request to Pro to move up a week and give us 5, but so far I haven't heard from him.  This may turn out to be another bye week unless someone steps forth and says they have 5 to give us.  If someone does, I'll just give their week to Big J once he gets home from vacation. 

^
I need to get to Hesher at some point.  I remember people in here hyping it and it looked "different" 

And as for JGL, I just saw the preview for 50/50, I swear that guy looks like a little kid in one movie, and a grown man in the next.  How the hell he do that? 
laugh.gif

One of my favorite performances by him was in Kill Shot, had Rourke, dude from Punisher and Diane Lane in it, also Rosario D was in it.  And JGL was simply crazy in that movie.  I couldn't even believe it was him.  How the hell they @#$%^& him up as Cobra Commander I will never, ever, EVER fully understand.  Him playing that role should have been on a Ledger/Joker type tip. 
30t6p3b.gif

Big J is still on vaca, I put in a request to Pro to move up a week and give us 5, but so far I haven't heard from him.  This may turn out to be another bye week unless someone steps forth and says they have 5 to give us.  If someone does, I'll just give their week to Big J once he gets home from vacation. 

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

some man up and do it...i want to vote and watch a movie
laugh.gif
You know what, you got it.  I never put your name on the list cuz you came after all the set up was done.  So I can put you in right here, and Pro keeps his week, as well as Big J.  Besides, you have more reviews then half these fools anyways. 
laugh.gif

So you're up, name 5 movies and go from there. 

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

some man up and do it...i want to vote and watch a movie
laugh.gif
You know what, you got it.  I never put your name on the list cuz you came after all the set up was done.  So I can put you in right here, and Pro keeps his week, as well as Big J.  Besides, you have more reviews then half these fools anyways. 
laugh.gif

So you're up, name 5 movies and go from there. 

laugh.gif

cool im down. are there like any "rules" to this? or any 5 movies (aside from ones we just watched)?

laugh.gif

cool im down. are there like any "rules" to this? or any 5 movies (aside from ones we just watched)?

No rules, any 5 you want, then we vote.  Give your vote for which one you want as well. 

And yeah, don't use ones we've already watched, but you can choose ones that were suggested, but not used.  Maybe they get picked this time around, etc etc. 

No rules, any 5 you want, then we vote.  Give your vote for which one you want as well. 

And yeah, don't use ones we've already watched, but you can choose ones that were suggested, but not used.  Maybe they get picked this time around, etc etc. 

alright. i just got home. i wanna go through the last few rounds or so and make sure i dont pick something y'all watched. ill have 5 for us to vote on sometime this evening.

alright. i just got home. i wanna go through the last few rounds or so and make sure i dont pick something y'all watched. ill have 5 for us to vote on sometime this evening.

DA's 5 Movies for the Week:

1) Batman Begins - as stated before, very overshadowed by tdk
2) Black Hawk Down - i can watch this movie over and over and over again
3) The Usual Suspects - my favorite spacey movie
4) Requiem for a Dream - have never seen this one, always wanted to
5) Seven Samurai - an older movie (1950s?) that a few of us has mentioned as worth seeing. it's available on netflix for sure, but not sure if it'll be easy for people not on netflix to trackdown

my vote is for requiem since i've never seen it

DA's 5 Movies for the Week:

1) Batman Begins - as stated before, very overshadowed by tdk
2) Black Hawk Down - i can watch this movie over and over and over again
3) The Usual Suspects - my favorite spacey movie
4) Requiem for a Dream - have never seen this one, always wanted to
5) Seven Samurai - an older movie (1950s?) that a few of us has mentioned as worth seeing. it's available on netflix for sure, but not sure if it'll be easy for people not on netflix to trackdown

my vote is for requiem since i've never seen it

Originally Posted by Noskey

^ Nvm, read it on IMDB.

Hesher

Really? To each their own I guess. It was one of the more disappointing films I've seen all year IMO.

Back
Top Bottom