Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Originally Posted by N ll K 3

Originally Posted by PMatic

Any love for Anchorman?
Certified Classic.

My favorite comedy ever, probably.  And that's saying a lot considering comedy is my favorite genre.  I think I quote something from Anchorman nearly every day.  Actually, just today I was telling someone, "I'm kind of a big deal, people know me."    

Originally Posted by N ll K 3

Originally Posted by PMatic

Any love for Anchorman?
Certified Classic.

My favorite comedy ever, probably.  And that's saying a lot considering comedy is my favorite genre.  I think I quote something from Anchorman nearly every day.  Actually, just today I was telling someone, "I'm kind of a big deal, people know me."    

Bridesmaids will surely be in this discussion eventually. I doubt it will appreciate over time like Superbad, Wedding Crashers, etc. have simply because it is female-based, but I think it may very well be top three of the past eight years or so.

The next few months will decide this film year for me. I have yet to see a drama that I loved. It has been strictly comedies, in fact (Bridesmaids, and to a smaller extent, Cedar Rapids and Horrible Bosses).

Contagion, Margaret, Take Shelter, The Rum Diary, J. Edgar and Melancholia. Still need to see The Tree of Life, Hesher, Win Win and Beautiful Boy, all of which should be available to rent within the next month.

Bridesmaids will surely be in this discussion eventually. I doubt it will appreciate over time like Superbad, Wedding Crashers, etc. have simply because it is female-based, but I think it may very well be top three of the past eight years or so.

The next few months will decide this film year for me. I have yet to see a drama that I loved. It has been strictly comedies, in fact (Bridesmaids, and to a smaller extent, Cedar Rapids and Horrible Bosses).

Contagion, Margaret, Take Shelter, The Rum Diary, J. Edgar and Melancholia. Still need to see The Tree of Life, Hesher, Win Win and Beautiful Boy, all of which should be available to rent within the next month.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

I finally know what the hub about Bridesmaids was about.  I was blown away how funny it actually was.  I did not think it would translate to me like a WC did, but it was fantastic.  And so not the usual humor that women would use.  They used jock humor for a bunch of women, sounds simple, but really no other group of women have ever tried it (that I know of) I love Tina Fey, I think her and her work are great, but I don't think she could have pulled off something like Brides.  The drive back and forth pissing off the cop scene, the dress fitting scene, the roomates, John Hamm, the Chicken Coup (
eek.gif
roll.gif
) the airplane, there are so many scenes/quotes that just caught me so off guard.  I agee man, this movie is going to get bigger as time goes by and more people give it a chance and realize how hilarious it is.  Like Superbad and the younger crowd, this one will stand alone for the womens angle on comedies. 

You liked Horrible Bosses Kev?  My wife and I were so pumped to see that, so excited, and we both felt let down tremendously when it was over. 
ohwell.gif
  A few scenes here and there were nice, but overall it didn't have any real substance.  I don't know where the hole was, story, directing, acting whatever, but something just felt off to me.  I may give it another watch at some point and hope to pick up on some things, but we watched that, Bad Teacher, and Friends with Benefits and Horrible Bosses came in 3rd from that group, and that's not good.  Bad Teacher was eh, but Friends was very very well done. 

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

I finally know what the hub about Bridesmaids was about.  I was blown away how funny it actually was.  I did not think it would translate to me like a WC did, but it was fantastic.  And so not the usual humor that women would use.  They used jock humor for a bunch of women, sounds simple, but really no other group of women have ever tried it (that I know of) I love Tina Fey, I think her and her work are great, but I don't think she could have pulled off something like Brides.  The drive back and forth pissing off the cop scene, the dress fitting scene, the roomates, John Hamm, the Chicken Coup (
eek.gif
roll.gif
) the airplane, there are so many scenes/quotes that just caught me so off guard.  I agee man, this movie is going to get bigger as time goes by and more people give it a chance and realize how hilarious it is.  Like Superbad and the younger crowd, this one will stand alone for the womens angle on comedies. 

You liked Horrible Bosses Kev?  My wife and I were so pumped to see that, so excited, and we both felt let down tremendously when it was over. 
ohwell.gif
  A few scenes here and there were nice, but overall it didn't have any real substance.  I don't know where the hole was, story, directing, acting whatever, but something just felt off to me.  I may give it another watch at some point and hope to pick up on some things, but we watched that, Bad Teacher, and Friends with Benefits and Horrible Bosses came in 3rd from that group, and that's not good.  Bad Teacher was eh, but Friends was very very well done. 

Saw this last night after anticipating it for a very long time.

Hardy and Edgerton were great a proved to everyone why they are big stars in the making. Nolte stood above everyone else turning in a Mickey Rourke like performance from The Wrestler.

While it was cliche and predictable to a point, this film was rather solid and made MMA look good.

Here is my full review - check it out - http://bit.ly/mUAoPs

Saw this last night after anticipating it for a very long time.

Hardy and Edgerton were great a proved to everyone why they are big stars in the making. Nolte stood above everyone else turning in a Mickey Rourke like performance from The Wrestler.

While it was cliche and predictable to a point, this film was rather solid and made MMA look good.

Here is my full review - check it out - http://bit.ly/mUAoPs

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I don't care, MacGruber is still hilarious.

this

and I agree Superbad > Wedding Crashers, but they're both better than almost every comedy from this year.

bout to catch Warrior tonight, I'm hyped.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I don't care, MacGruber is still hilarious.

this

and I agree Superbad > Wedding Crashers, but they're both better than almost every comedy from this year.

bout to catch Warrior tonight, I'm hyped.

JRS I was completely kidding about MacGruber being the best comedy since Anchorman, however it IS one of my favorite comedies of the 2000s. A lot of it is grotesque humor, but nevertheless the entire movie is packed with hilarity.

Can't wait to see Contagion, Warrior, J. Edgar, and Beautiful Boy. I can't tell you how long I've been looking for Beautiful Boy. Only been showing in Chicago, NY, LA, etc. +#@% me.

I have A Clockwork Orange to watch on Blu Ray. I am not ready.

JRS I was completely kidding about MacGruber being the best comedy since Anchorman, however it IS one of my favorite comedies of the 2000s. A lot of it is grotesque humor, but nevertheless the entire movie is packed with hilarity.

Can't wait to see Contagion, Warrior, J. Edgar, and Beautiful Boy. I can't tell you how long I've been looking for Beautiful Boy. Only been showing in Chicago, NY, LA, etc. +#@% me.

I have A Clockwork Orange to watch on Blu Ray. I am not ready.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Question for any of you that r here right now.

Scorcece box set for $28; yes or no?
- The Departed
- Mean Streets
- The Aviator
- Goodfellas

I've seen The Departed & Goodfellas. I like 'em alright. Wouldn't kill me if I didn't have 'em.

How are The Aviator and Mean Streets?

What are The Aviator and Mean Streets?
laugh.gif
The Aviator is a movie about Howard Hughes, starring Leo as Hughes.  It shows how Hughes comes up, gets famous, dates some famous woeman and then goes nuts.  Solid movie with a lot of good acting performances, particularly Leo and Cate Blanchett.  If you find the Howard Hughes story interesting at all, its worth watching.  Its not something that I'd want to watch over and over though.    

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Question for any of you that r here right now.

Scorcece box set for $28; yes or no?
- The Departed
- Mean Streets
- The Aviator
- Goodfellas

I've seen The Departed & Goodfellas. I like 'em alright. Wouldn't kill me if I didn't have 'em.

How are The Aviator and Mean Streets?

What are The Aviator and Mean Streets?
laugh.gif
The Aviator is a movie about Howard Hughes, starring Leo as Hughes.  It shows how Hughes comes up, gets famous, dates some famous woeman and then goes nuts.  Solid movie with a lot of good acting performances, particularly Leo and Cate Blanchett.  If you find the Howard Hughes story interesting at all, its worth watching.  Its not something that I'd want to watch over and over though.    

Originally Posted by DubA169

somehow he made a movie about an incredibly fascinating person, boring
Thought it would be so I never gave it a shot, maybe I'll get to it when Leo wins an Oscar.

And JPZ, good, I thought you were being sarcastic and calling it turrible
laugh.gif

I wanna watch Clockwork but it's another one of those movies where I wanna read the book first so who knows when the hell I'll get to it...still need to watch Gladiator and Oldboy; I really am horrible sometimes.

Originally Posted by DubA169

somehow he made a movie about an incredibly fascinating person, boring
Thought it would be so I never gave it a shot, maybe I'll get to it when Leo wins an Oscar.

And JPZ, good, I thought you were being sarcastic and calling it turrible
laugh.gif

I wanna watch Clockwork but it's another one of those movies where I wanna read the book first so who knows when the hell I'll get to it...still need to watch Gladiator and Oldboy; I really am horrible sometimes.

I just saw Tree of Life. Seemed half experimental, half narrative. Tough to critique it because it really is a unique piece of filmmaking. Not the type of film I'd recommend to anyone but I wouldn't mine watching it again.
I also started the first ten minutes of Sucker Punch and turned it off.  
ohwell.gif

I just saw Tree of Life. Seemed half experimental, half narrative. Tough to critique it because it really is a unique piece of filmmaking. Not the type of film I'd recommend to anyone but I wouldn't mine watching it again.
I also started the first ten minutes of Sucker Punch and turned it off.  
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom