Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

First Watch rn:

310_to_Yuma_%282007_film%29.jpg

“You’re gonna have the peanut butter soup with smoked duck and mashed squash. New York Matinee called it a playful, but mysterious little dish”

1722785253643.jpeg

I hypothesize that one of the possible reasons that we movie lovers continue to give M. Night movies another chance despite being repeatedly let down is because we’re subconsciously aware that this is the guy who made The Sixth Sense and maybe, just maybe, he will finally return to that caliber of filmmaking once again.

I guess it's an argument for that but...6th sense is one of the worst movies I've ever seen I'm not giving groupie love to dude because he been bamboozling y'all for decades 🤣

I hypothesize that one of the possible reasons that we movie lovers continue to give M. Night movies another chance despite being repeatedly let down is because we’re subconsciously aware that this is the guy who made The Sixth Sense and maybe, just maybe, he will finally return to that caliber of filmmaking once again.

Absolutely. Sixth sense, unbreakable, and the village had me in a chokehold and thinking he could do wrong.

After he did wrong so many times and hadn’t made a watchable movie in 20 years, he doesn’t get that leeway from me anymore.

Poppovichs Spurs only won 22 games last year. Bellicheck doesn’t have a job in the NFL right now. Greatness can’t last forever, and I’ve learned to not expect it.

I liked Stuart Little and Shes All That until I found out he did them now I'm reconsidering my choices 🤣 other than that he has NO watchable movies to me

A deep dive into M Nights attention to detail and his masterful story telling techniques from his early films. From unbreakable:

Every time we are reintroduced to Elijah Price, it’s through his reflection in glass.

Our first scene with Elijah, shortly after his birth, is a single long take of a department store dressing room mirror, with the entire scene playing out in its reflection.
IMG_4798.jpeg

In fact, the very first shot of the film goes one step further and is shot through TWO mirrors.

The camera is pointed at the dressing room mirror, which is reflecting a second mirror outside, through which we see the doctor approach Elijah.

(First mirror outlined in blue, second in yellow)
IMG_4799.jpeg

The second time we are reintroduced to Elijah, it is through his reflection in a glass television screen.

The reflection is warped, distorted, a fun-house mirror that captures his own warped self-image.

The screen is turned off. Elijah can only see someone like himself on TV when he stops watching.
IMG_4797.jpeg

Finally, we are reintroduced to an adult Elijah through the reflection of a glass frame over comic art.

To us, Elijah is also within the glass, framed with comic book heroes and villains. This is his world.
IMG_4800.jpeg

When David Dunn is first contacted by Elijah, it’s through a calling card first seen through a glass windshield.
IMG_4801.jpeg

Elijah’s connections with people are often done through glass.

When Elijah discovers the gunman at the football game, he sees him through the reflection of his rear view mirror.
IMG_4802.jpeg

When Elijah falls down the stairs and breaks his leg we dissolve from his eye to glass signage (that looks like an eye), and then rack focus to the woman Elijah is looking at (Robin Wright).

Again, through the glass.
IMG_4803.jpeg

At the end of the film, Elijah Price adopts the moniker of “Mr. Glass,” a name given to him by the kids at school who used to tease him because he “broke like glass.”

But these shots give his name a different meaning. Elijah lived a life of loneliness and alienation. Trapped behind glass, always able to see the world but never touch it.

Like Alice through her looking glass, Elijah became trapped and lost in that world.
IMG_4804.jpeg

A deep dive into M Nights attention to detail and his masterful story telling techniques from his early films. From unbreakable:

Every time we are reintroduced to Elijah Price, it’s through his reflection in glass.

Our first scene with Elijah, shortly after his birth, is a single long take of a department store dressing room mirror, with the entire scene playing out in its reflection.
IMG_4798.jpeg

In fact, the very first shot of the film goes one step further and is shot through TWO mirrors.

The camera is pointed at the dressing room mirror, which is reflecting a second mirror outside, through which we see the doctor approach Elijah.

IMG_4799.jpeg

The second time we are reintroduced to Elijah, it is through his reflection in a glass television screen.

The reflection is warped, distorted, a fun-house mirror that captures his own warped self-image.

The screen is turned off. Elijah can only see someone like himself on TV when he stops watching.
IMG_4797.jpeg

Finally, we are reintroduced to an adult Elijah through the reflection of a glass frame over comic art.

To us, Elijah is also within the glass, framed with comic book heroes and villains. This is his world.
IMG_4800.jpeg

When David Dunn is first contacted by Elijah, it’s through a calling card first seen through a glass windshield.
IMG_4801.jpeg

When Elijah discovers the gunman at the football game, he sees him through the reflection of his rear view mirror.
IMG_4802.jpeg

When Elijah falls down the stairs and breaks his leg we dissolve from his eye to glass signage (that looks like an eye), and then rack focus to the woman Elijah is looking at (Robin Wright).

IMG_4803.jpeg

At the end of the film, Elijah Price adopts the moniker of “Mr. Glass,” a name given to him by the kids at school who used to tease him because he “broke like glass.”

But these shots give his name a different meaning. Elijah lived a life of loneliness and alienation. Trapped behind glass, always able to see the world but never touch it.

Like Alice through her looking glass, Elijah became trapped and lost in that world.
IMG_4804.jpeg
That’s very good. I understand all of that perfectly

1722813546887.gif

M Knight continued

Along with the visual metaphor, framing characters in windows and reflections also allows the director and DOP to create “panels” within the movie frame.

The shot becomes the page of a comic book, with smaller, enclosed boxes that highlight key pieces of information.
IMG_4805.jpeg

This technique (structuring shots as frames within frames) obviously isn’t limited to Unbreakable, but Shyamalan and Serra certainly lean into it. Hard.

Most of the movie is structured as long static shots, with very little movement by either the actors or the cameras, and with characters framed by interior panels.

This particular shot, with its distinct foreground and background action, always felt like something straight of Gibbons and Moore’s Watchmen.
IMG_4806.jpeg

Even simple shot/reverse-shot dialogue scenes frame the characters within boxes.
IMG_4807.jpeg

And Dunn’s hero scenes are also framed accordingly. Frames within frames. Panels within panels.
IMG_4808.jpeg

And what about David and glass?

David is also introduced accompanied by his reflection. But with one key difference: David is on our side of the glass.

In contrast, Elijah is always introduced entirely through reflection, as if he exists only on the other side of the looking glass.

Like the old Western visual convention of heroes entering screen from left to right and villains right to left, Unbreakable depicts its hero and villain on opposite sides of the glass.
IMG_4809.jpeg

So when David first meets Elijah in-person, the scene is shot through a window.

To meet with Elijah, David has to join him on the other side of the glass.
IMG_4810.jpeg

IMG_4798.jpeg

IMG_4799.jpeg

IMG_4797.jpeg

IMG_4800.jpeg

IMG_4801.jpeg

IMG_4802.jpeg

IMG_4803.jpeg

IMG_4804.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom